PDA

View Full Version : Fiocchi 9MM Luger 92gr EMB

askani79705
01-26-11, 04:30
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=249242

What's the consensus on this stuff ?

Irish10
01-26-11, 15:38
I have been playing wwith this round for about eight months. I managed to score a case at a very low price and was intriqued by the bullet design. Primarily I wanted a dependable carry round for my HK P7s which HK states need a bullet of at least 100grns and that tend to be picky when it comes to 147grn rounds. My M8, M13 and PSPs eat this round like crazy and it has a distinct report when shot. I have shot it at distances out to 60 yards and it's spot on accurate with groups being under two inches at longer distances. While I havent done any "testing" there is quite a bit of info available on this round and it's ballistics seem impressive. FWIR, out of a four inch barrel it runs approx 1240fps and it just destroys the ballistics gelatin on impact, making a very impressive cavity for a 9mm round. Not sure on how it would do against barriers, glass, metal, etc but I wouldn't feel "unprepared" knowing I had a mag full in my pistola!
ADDED: This round is based on the old Hirtenberger 9mm+P+ SMG round that had a rep for tearing up pistols but this is a much softer round. I think the Hirtenberger was a 100grn round and it was HOT fwir. Here's a few links to data on the EMB, ones from 05 and the other from last year. Pretty impressive. http://www.raoulwagner.com/tests2005.htm
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4359583#post4359583

askani79705
01-26-11, 19:20
Thank You,I scored some @ $8.50 a box. I figured if anything I could just use it for practice.

Irish10
01-26-11, 19:44
You got a great deal. Ammunition to Go has it listed at $22 a box!

kartoffel
01-26-11, 21:25
I'd be skeptical of anything that light, especially for serious (i.e. non-training) purposes. Still, I've had no problems with 95 grain training ammo in any pistol.

Maybe test some of that stuff on some wet phone books and make sure it penetrates as far your fave 124 grain HP.

DocGKR
01-26-11, 22:04
We are testing it this quarter...

askani79705
01-27-11, 11:29
I'd be skeptical of anything that light, especially for serious (i.e. non-training) purposes. Still, I've had no problems with 95 grain training ammo in any pistol.

Maybe test some of that stuff on some wet phone books and make sure it penetrates as far your fave 124 grain HP.

I got some of the Federal 95 grn also.I popped a feral pig with a Sub2000 the other day and it pretty much disintegrated 9"-10" in,killed the pig though.

askani79705
01-27-11, 11:31
We are testing it this quarter...

That's Great, I'm sure I can't have been the only one curious :D

wesprt
01-27-11, 11:47
I have a hard time believing a bullet that light for caliber will get suitable penetration... But it will be interesting to see some gel tests.

C-grunt
01-27-11, 15:41
I have a hard time believing a bullet that light for caliber will get suitable penetration... But it will be interesting to see some gel tests.

I agree with you and usually go towards the heavy side for my handguns. But doesnt the DPX round give decent penetration and they tend to be light for caliber? This bullet seems to have the same basic principle as the DPX.

M193 BALL
02-09-11, 15:15
I agree with you and usually go towards the heavy side for my handguns. But doesnt the DPX round give decent penetration and they tend to be light for caliber? This bullet seems to have the same basic principle as the DPX.

+1

Its all about bullet design