PDA

View Full Version : LMT MRP CQB or Noveske Lo-Pro Recce?

Mr. V
01-26-11, 09:51
I can't decide so I thought I'd ask which rifle you guys prefer. Rifle purpose will be weekend shooting and/or home defense.

My choices are:

1. Noveske 16" Light Recce Lo-pro

2. LMT CQB MRP Defender 16"

3. LMT CQB MRP Defender 16" w/ Piston System - Is the added price tag on the piston system worth it?

Please pick one and state your reason for choosing it.

http://www.topnotchtactical.com/images/products/556_LightRecce_LoPro16VIS.jpg

http://www.lewismachine.net/images/product/large/CQB16_large.jpg

http://www.lewismachine.net/images/product/large/CQBPS16_large.jpg

ryu_sekai
01-26-11, 10:04
In order
MRP CQB
Noveske
MRP piston (not a fan of piston in general)

KACVESKE
01-26-11, 11:47
I have been seriously thinking about ditching my sr15 upper for a MRP... I shot one and fell in love with it... not to mention the ability to change barrels... that really sold me.

Fr3EK
01-26-11, 11:49
Get the DI version of the MRP and if you want the piston then just order the piston conversion later on and you can have the best of both worlds.

KACVESKE
01-26-11, 11:50
agreed the piston can always be added... get the normal MRP

edit I would also look into the noveske/VTAC combat carbine... sure is a nice looking upper with that stainless barrel.

Mr. V
01-26-11, 11:54
I don't know much about Pistion systems. What's the point of having one? Advantages? Benefits?

Also, what would be the cost of adding one later on?

Fr3EK
01-26-11, 12:15
piston kit usually runs 650 at some places I have found them for sale, there might be cheaper places.

one advantage is that your bcg doesnt get as dirty and you just clean the piston (that is where it gets dirty at with a piston), supposedly it is more reliable, but that is up for speculation still. One thing to keep in mind is that you may want to pick up extra parts like you would with a DI gun because pistons use proprietary parts that may be hard to find at times. LMT will surely always have these parts you need.

ALCOAR
01-26-11, 12:20
I have no clue what the so called advantages of a piston op system are in an AR 15 configuration, however here is the cost and some info on the piston conversions for the MRP CQB chassis.

http://www.lmtstore.com/bolts-carriers-groups/cqb-mrp.html

d90king
01-26-11, 12:21
The Noveske will be slightly more accurate and probably lighter even with a longer rail. The Noveske 14.5 barrels (which would be my choice with a pinned SF 212A) are outstanding and are exceptional shooters. He has also added the BCM GF CH which is a nice touch out of the box... My 14.5 Noveske VTAC is the finest handling carbine I have owned or handled.

The MRP offers great versatility with the quick barrel and caliber change option. The MRP is also a true monolithic upper which does aid in rigidity, not that it should be a deciding factor as both rail systems are sound. Not a fan of the LMT front sights but that can be easily remidied... You can add the piston to the LMT if you NEED to down the road.

They are both quality rifles but only you can choose what fits "your" preferences. Asking someone on a forum about preferences in firearms is usually a waste of time when you are talking about two known quality brands... Kinda like us picking out a women for you...

Go handle them if you can and see what you like and rock on.

I own both brands and have been very pleased with both...

KACVESKE
01-26-11, 13:44
Piston systems keep the ar cleaner... that is about the only advantage I can see. I have shot both, and find the piston to have a "choppy" feel to it when I shoot it. I have owned a noveske 14.5 n4 light and loved it, sadly parted with it when I purchased my KAC SR15 upper.. i still regret selling the veske :(

JPB
01-26-11, 14:16
I have been seriously thinking about ditching my sr15 upper for a MRP... I shot one and fell in love with it... not to mention the ability to change barrels... that really sold me.

Funny, I did the exact inverse.

KACVESKE
01-26-11, 14:20
Funny, I did the exact inverse.

nice!!

when did you pick up your SR? How do you like it? Maybe thats one more rifle for the OP to think about!

Mr. V
01-27-11, 16:34
Thank you all. I am a big fan of AR15s sporting long rails, such as the Noveske but I've decided to purchase the LMT MRP non piston system this time.

A local store is selling it for $1500 - good price? It's the cheapest I've found locally.

d90king
01-27-11, 17:18
Thank you all. I am a big fan of AR15s sporting long rails, such as the Noveske but I've decided to purchase the LMT MRP non piston system this time.

A local store is selling it for $1500 - good price? It's the cheapest I've found locally.

Pretty solid price especially when you can handle it and inspect it before you buy ...

KACVESKE
01-27-11, 17:19
great price.

Fr3EK
01-27-11, 20:50
if you can get it for that price you would be doing great.

variablebinary
01-27-11, 21:05
Easy.

MRP and don't look back. Try it. You'll like it

JPB
01-28-11, 10:52
nice!!

when did you pick up your SR? How do you like it? Maybe thats one more rifle for the OP to think about!

I got it about a year ago now. I really like it.

Mr. V, nice choice, you'll dig it. MRP is uniquely cool. Got rid of mine only because my priorities were better served with a different set up.

556noob
03-21-12, 19:02
LMT is my choice. I bought a rifle length LMT, no regrets.

feedramp
03-22-12, 21:58
That Noveske looks sweet. Congrats on the decision though. Can't go wrong there.

Sensei
03-22-12, 22:38
LMT MRP upper on a Knights IWS lower is an expensive yet elegant combination. If I can't have the IWS lower, I still prefer the MRP despite the added weight mainly due to the versatility.

MegademiC
03-23-12, 01:37

You can get the rifle length mrp with a 14.5 or 16" barrel if you want the longer rail.

Or maybe I missed something.