PDA

View Full Version : ring height for 20 moa base? Low? Medium?

xHDPx
01-26-11, 10:52
I will be ordering a 20 moa base along with a SWFA 10x42 scope and was wondering what height rings I need. My rifle does not have a cheek piece so I thought medium would be too high, but with the 20 moa base I am worried that the scope low rings may touch the barrel. Any help on this? The touching the barrel thing may only be true with the 50mm scopes but Im sure you guys will tell me. I dont know much about this stuff at all because I got right into ar's and now this has got my attention. Thanks for any help.

austinN4
01-26-11, 11:13
The answer is........... it depends on the outside diameter of the objective lens bell.

Here is the formula:
[rail height + ring height] - [bell diameter x 0.5]

See this thread for more info:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1433025#Post1433025

mark5pt56
01-27-11, 19:28
A 50mm Nightforce scope with the NF 20moa base is good to go with their low rings. mediums are ok with an Eagle stock pack which is really nice to have.

xHDPx
01-27-11, 19:43
I ended up ordering a 20moa base and medium rings. Mark, the eagle stock pack looks like a pretty nice piece so I think I will get that soon.

dcs12345
01-27-11, 23:18
I run a 20 moa seekins base with low TPS rings and a luepold mark 4 with a 40mm objective on my rem sps tac.

mark5pt56
01-28-11, 05:50
I ended up ordering a 20moa base and medium rings. Mark, the eagle stock pack looks like a pretty nice piece so I think I will get that soon.

When you get on the rifle(cheek weld squared away) "lay" your head onto the stock, close your eyes and relax as if taking a nap. Now open your eyes and if you have to raise your head to get rid of that shadow, your scope is to high. On the flip side if you have to "press" your head down, it's to low.

For the side to side, unless you have something like an AICS-deal with it.

TiroFijo
01-28-11, 10:53
The low rings will be fine with any 20 MOA base and a 42 objective bell, and if the base + rings are picatinny even with a 50 mm objective (unless some aftermarket extra heavy barrell is used) :)

xHDPx
01-28-11, 11:20
When you get on the rifle(cheek weld squared away) "lay" your head onto the stock, close your eyes and relax as if taking a nap. Now open your eyes and if you have to raise your head to get rid of that shadow, your scope is to high. On the flip side if you have to "press" your head down, it's to low.

For the side to side, unless you have something like an AICS-deal with it.

AICS.....oh my....that looks cooler than a bear in a top hat

Mark, that is something I would not have thought of and it sounds like the best way to get the right natural height for a comfortable cheek weld. Do you feel like the medium may be a little too high anyway? I did really like the look of the eagle pack and would get it to solve the problem.

mark5pt56
01-29-11, 18:40
AICS.....oh my....that looks cooler than a bear in a top hat

Mark, that is something I would not have thought of and it sounds like the best way to get the right natural height for a comfortable cheek weld. Do you feel like the medium may be a little too high anyway? I did really like the look of the eagle pack and would get it to solve the problem.

For me the Eagle is fine with low rings. If you have a huge noggin, that may change. Once you get the scope mounted and the Eagle on, try it out. You see if you are "holding" your head up, it strains your neck after a short time and can become very tiring to you. If you aren't comfortable behind that stick, accuracy will suffer. When you are doing positional shooting it may not be as critical as you aren't on the rifle as long. Hunting is one thing, a day on the range with a precision rig or when you have to be on it a long time is when having it fitted properly really comes into play.

For me the Eagle is fine with low rings. If you have a huge noggin, that may change. Once you get the scope mounted and the Eagle on, try it out. You see if you are "holding" your head up, it strains your neck after a short time and can become very tiring to you. If you aren't comfortable behind that stick, accuracy will suffer. When you are doing positional shooting it may not be as critical as you aren't on the rifle as long. Hunting is one thing, a day on the range with a precision rig or when you have to be on it a long time is when having it fitted properly really comes into play.

Many moons ago it was explained to me that I "should be able to take a nap on the gun" It was the man pictured in my Avatar--

TiroFijo
01-31-11, 05:38
+1000 on "you should be able to take a nap on the gun" :agree:

sums it up nicely.