PDA

View Full Version : P30LS LEM Video

Hootiewho
01-26-11, 17:47
I was searching on yotube and found this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCj2QOBzTHs
Looks to be a P30LS LEM w/manual safety. This pistol will be the cats ass, with or without the safety.

Vlobb
01-26-11, 18:39
This is the pistol HK accidentally imported and have no plans to sell in the future. It's also the pistol their 2 new factory competition shooters will be running for the foreseeable future. I would really like to understand HK's reasoning behind this...

WTF are you thinking HK?

It's a great pistol but I see no need for the manually saftey on an LEM trigger. Why HK still hasn't imported the standard P30L LEM is beyond me too.

vecdran
01-26-11, 18:51
Here I was thinking that with the introduction of the first HK factory shooting team in years we could look forward to some new match grade pistols and parts.

Why I got my hopes up, I have no idea. :(

montrala
01-27-11, 05:40
I use P30L with LEM (V0) for 3Gun, IDPA and IPSC shooting. I like it very much. Only reason to use P30LS LEM (with safety levers) is to have version that provide support to strong hand thumb over safety lever (like 1911 high grip) and shorter slide release levers. However personally I do not have problems with high grip or slide release lever interference on non-safety model.

majette
01-27-11, 09:28
This is the pistol HK accidentally imported and have no plans to sell in the future. It's also the pistol their 2 new factory competition shooters will be running for the foreseeable future. I would really like to understand HK's reasoning behind this...

WTF are you thinking HK?

It's a great pistol but I see no need for the manually saftey on an LEM trigger. Why HK still hasn't imported the standard P30L LEM is beyond me too.

i agree. a P30Lv1 LEM with a match grade and shorter reset trigger (think Combat Competition) would be awesome.

vecdran
01-27-11, 10:49
I'd take out a new credit card to get my hand on two of those!

(I'm young, I'm allowed to completely irresponsible with my finances.)

variablebinary
01-27-11, 11:10
The P30 trigger is so god awful. An LEM model with safety levers might win me over though

vecdran
01-27-11, 11:41
It's not the best (or worst) trigger out there, but it's hardly crippling. I can do two shots center mass on a target at 7 yards from the holster in 1.5seconds, and I'm hardly the world's most gifted shooter.

People place too much emphasis on trigger, though don't get me wrong, there is such a thing as a trigger that really is hard to shoot. (Sig Mosquito DA pull, for instance.)

STS
01-27-11, 14:42
I was all set get a P3 V2 as I am transitioning to AIWB carry, but after trying the trigger on one at SHOT, I'm not so sure. IMO the LEM trigger was HORRIBLE. Way heavier than I expected, and it seemed to have a horrible long length of pull.

What can be done to the LEM triggers to make them a little more usable?

F-Trooper05
01-27-11, 15:16
I was all set get a P3 V2 as I am transitioning to AIWB carry, but after trying the trigger on one at SHOT, I'm not so sure. IMO the LEM trigger was HORRIBLE. Way heavier than I expected, and it seemed to have a horrible long length of pull.

What can be done to the LEM triggers to make them a little more usable?

V2 sucks. V1 is the shit. Just swap out the FPBS and TRS and drive on.

98z28
01-27-11, 15:40
The HKP30LS V1 (light LEM) is an AWESOME pistol. Comfy, reliable, and ridiculously accurate. The light LEM still has a long pull and a long reset, but the break is light and clean. The reset is easy to learn. Definitely worth a try if you can find one. Ultimately I wound up selling mine because the thumb safety tore me up, but that is not a common complaint I have heard about the safety equiped P30's. I'm just weird I guess. I can't tell you how bad I wanted that gun to work for me.

Switching between the different LEM variants is supposed to be relatively easy. There are some how to's up at hkpro.com.

gtmtnbiker98
01-27-11, 16:32
The safety on an LEM equipped pistol is just gay.

kjdoski
01-27-11, 18:15
While I'm not sure I'd describe it as "gay," I am unsure as to why anyone would want a manual safety on a DAO pistol...

If you tried the LEM at SHOT - did you rack the slide between shots? If not, you're really pulling A LOT more weight on the trigger - the slide's action "precocks" the sear (forgive my WILDLY oversimplified description of the system).

For me, the LEM trigger was very pleasantly light, but it still stacks quite a bit, and, as already noted, the reset isn't anything to write home about.

Regards,

Kevin

STS
01-27-11, 18:41
While I'm not sure I'd describe it as "gay," I am unsure as to why anyone would want a manual safety on a DAO pistol...

If you tried the LEM at SHOT - did you rack the slide between shots? If not, you're really pulling A LOT more weight on the trigger - the slide's action "precocks" the sear (forgive my WILDLY oversimplified description of the system).

For me, the LEM trigger was very pleasantly light, but it still stacks quite a bit, and, as already noted, the reset isn't anything to write home about.

Regards,

Kevin

Well damn, that would have been nice to know. I have to say I was pretty disappointed with HK at SHOT. The people sitting behind the pistol counters were not all that interested in talking with customers. I tried to ask one lady some questions, and she made it pretty obvious she didn't feel like answering them. The other guy at the second counter were the P30's were was too busy messing with his phone. Sucks for them. My team is looking to replace our Glocks, they may have missed out on a order.

Magsz
01-27-11, 20:21
The safety does absolutely nothing to negatively impact the function of the weapon.

If you feel that the gun is comfortable with the safety in the position in which it is located then why not have an extra level of safety between you and an ND?

Yes, you can go ahead and hold onto the hammer during reholster but the same argument that people quote in regard to the safety being one object between you and using your deadly weapon in an adrenaline dump or deadly force situation can also be applied towards an LEM (DOA) trigger. I trust myself more when it comes to deactivating a safety than i do reholstering while holding onto the hammer.

I really dont see why people get all bent out of shape over options. No one is forcing anyone to buy a p30S.

What i really want to know is WHY was this model selected for the competition team. From what i know and i may be wrong here the S variants have a longer reset. I know this to be true for the DA/SA versions but im not sure if this translates over to the LEM trigger groups.

variablebinary
01-27-11, 20:47
It's not the best (or worst) trigger out there, but it's hardly crippling. I can do two shots center mass on a target at 7 yards from the holster in 1.5seconds, and I'm hardly the world's most gifted shooter.

People place too much emphasis on trigger, though don't get me wrong, there is such a thing as a trigger that really is hard to shoot. (Sig Mosquito DA pull, for instance.)

The P30 trigger sucks. It's a deal breaker for me.

Coming from glocks I short stroke often on the P30 and the DA first shot is damn hard to score a hit with because it is heavy and not especially smooth.

For what these things cost there is no excuse for HK not getting the trigger right out the box

Magsz
01-27-11, 21:27
VB

Shot the LEM trigger?

If so, what do you think?

John_Wayne777
01-28-11, 06:44

Regards,

Kevin

The beautiful thing about the LEM trigger is that it can be tweaked considerably with a couple of spring changes. I bought 2 V2 LEM P30's and then changed out the mainspring with a non-LEM mainspring. I also changed the firing pin block spring with the V4 spring.

The end result is a very nice trigger pull that doesn't stack and is fast to reset. If I recall correctly, the best splits I've managed on a P30 (while hitting a reasonable target) are .17. That's as fast as I can intelligently run a customized M&P with a considerably shorter reset.

variablebinary
01-28-11, 09:57
VB

Shot the LEM trigger?

If so, what do you think?

I never seen a LEM P30. Though I have shot a LEM USP and thought it worked well. I didn't like it as much on the P2000. Seemed sloppier, heavier and longer to reset.. It may have been different LEM versions though.

I really hope HK does a striker gun. A P30 with a striker and lower bore would be perfect

montrala
01-28-11, 10:57
I never seen a LEM P30.

LEM in P30 is exactly same as in P2000. P30S/P30LS has slightly longer reset on LEM (as well as on SA/DA) than P30/P2000, but it is noticeable only if you look for it and compare guns side to side.

Jim D
01-28-11, 14:37
Hootie, Shawn ran one at the LAV class at USTC we were at.

If you could remove the safety, I would have kept that gun for myself instead of selling it to Shawn.

The safety rubbed against the bones in my thumb, and just made life difficult for me. I tried to warm up to it, but the safety blew it for me.

The gun shot great though, especially with a WML on it. Pure pussycat to shoot.

98z28
01-28-11, 19:05
The manual safety with the LEM makes a lot of sense for some users. Here's why I chose the P30LS:

-The safety equipped P30's come with a shorter slide release lever and the safey made it easier to keep my thumb off of the lever when shooting. Even with the shorter lever, I still have to work on keeping my thumb off the thing. Training issue, I know, but the safety made it easier.

-Manual safeties on a duty weapon are I GOOD feature, no matter what trigger is on the gun. The safety is a non-issue for the user with training, but has saved officer's lives when they were disarmed. Mine was a potential new duty gun and the manual safety was one of the big selling points.

-The light LEM is LIGHT. A 4.5 trigger is not much resistance, even with the long pull. While you shouldn't rely on a manual safety to prevent an ND, it's nice to have an extra buffer for those oh shit moments when bizarre stuff happens.

If the P30LS fits you, it is a fantastic choice. I would love to see the reset length reduced, but it is learnable. I was getting splits in the .19 range, which is almost as fast as I can run an M&P or Glock and still put rounds where I want them.

I compared a P30 V2 to my P30LS and did not notice a difference in reset length. I don't think the reset is any longer in the safety equipped guns, but I could be wrong.