PDA

View Full Version : The New Trijicon Adjustable RMR

Gabe Suarez
01-26-11, 18:39
The New Trijicon RMR-A

http://warriortalknews.typepad.com/.a/6a0133ec985af6970b0148c8085579970c-500wi

When I heard that Trijicon had redesigned the RMR to include an adjustment mechanism I got a little worried. The main reason I had looked at the Trijicon RMR in the first place for handgun applications was that it had no adjustments or on-off switches to get messed up in daily concealed carry.

I asked our Trijicon representative about this at SHOT Show. His answer was to reach in his bag and give me one to work with and test. That is what I like about these guys...they put their money where their mouth is.

http://warriortalknews.typepad.com/.a/6a0133ec985af6970b0148c8085653970c-320wi

So I brought the RMR home and promptly installed it on one of our in-house TSD Glocks. This one was an all Lone Wolf weapon slide and frame. It was worked over by our TSD staff and finished the slide in desert tan. The RMR popped on easily and tightened down with no issues. TSD is the first to ever mount one of these on a handgun.

First order of things was to get used to how the unit worked. On the left side and right side are strong pressure pads to increase and decrease dot intensity. The dot size has been reduced to 6.5 MOA. I set the brightness level to work with the ambient light and holstered the empty pistol.

I worked through my hour long dry practice session. Drawing from our Seraphim holster, the dot intensity did not change at all, showing that the pressure needed to change the settings is more than what may be likely in holster carry. Nice.

That done we worked with the settings. There are several and the brightest setting is quite bright that even in the strong mile high AZ sun, it was sufficiently bright.

The highest setting will use up battery life very quickly so its not wise toleave it at that setting. The lower settings are sufficient for low light use, and even workable with our night vision devices.

Nice again.

http://warriortalknews.typepad.com/.a/6a0133ec985af6970b0148c808586a970c-320wi

The Trijicon site says this about the Adjustable LED:

"Developed to improve precision and accuracy with any style or caliber of weapon, the Trijicon RMR™ (Ruggedized Miniature Reflex) is designed to be as durable as the legendary ACOG. The RM06 and RM08 are LED sights powered by a standard CR2032 battery. Housed in rugged forged aluminum, the RMR is extremely tough yet lightweight. New easy-to-use adjusters with audible clicks allow for quick windage and elevation adjustments.

With eight available brightness settings, the reticle can be manually adjusted by pressing the plus or minus buttons on either side of the unit. To switch to auto adjust mode simply press both buttons simultaneously and release. To save battery life turn the optic off by pressing both buttons simultaneously and holding for 3 seconds.

The new Trijicon RMR™ is tougher than any alternative and suitable for military, law enforcement and hunting applications."

Magnification 1x
Bullet Drop Compensator No
Length (In) 45mm
Weight (oz) 1.2 oz w/Battery
Illumination Source 3V Lithium Battery
Reticle Pattern 6.5 MOA Dot
Day Reticle Color Red
Night Reticle Color Red
Bindon Aiming Concept n
Adjustment @ 100 yards (clicks/in) 1.0
Housing Material Forged Aluminum

lethal dose
01-26-11, 18:53
Nice write up, Mr. Suarez. Send this poor ol' boy one and I'll let ya know what I think. ;)

Armati
01-26-11, 20:48
Hey Gabe, I was looking at doing a similar set up. Could you answer a few questions for me in this thread?

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72280

willowofwisp
01-26-11, 20:57
Nice review.

Lucky Strike
01-26-11, 21:47
Did they say how long they were able to lengthen the battery life (when kept in ambient light mode) of this new version over the 8moa version?

Gabe Suarez
01-26-11, 22:18
Well...I've been running two RMR Glocks since the last SHOT Show. I changed the batteries on December 1st. I plan on doing it again every September. So I a getting about a year or so on a battery.

The battery BTW, is the unknown since some are good and some not so good. Its a good idea to keep a couiple of spares along with an allen wrench and some loctite in your kit. Its also why you need the back up irons.

But back to the batteries. The rep told me that if you run it on high (which is so freakling bright you need to put shades on) you will lose power in two weeks! This is new and its all conjecture, but they are saying on the lowest visible setting, the battery should go four years. They did change some circuitry as well that went right over my head when it was explained. Suffice to say the new RMRs are much more efficient....power usage-wise.

Lucky Strike
01-26-11, 22:51
Good stuff....I'll be in the habit of changing batteries every 6 months so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

eternal24k
01-27-11, 07:11
these are really getting more and more appealing.

I have a Glock 21 that is begging for one.

Gabe,
you ever do a Glock 26?

Gabe Suarez
01-27-11, 08:18
Yes we did. Nice blocky thing it was too. ;)

eternal24k
01-27-11, 08:40
for whatever reason I am liking the idea of a 26 with one,
do you have any pics??

swinkster
01-28-11, 00:11
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38012

Pictures down towards the bottom of the page. Milled by OST with back up irons.

MrMiller
01-28-11, 07:10
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38012

Pictures down towards the bottom of the page. Milled by OST with back up irons.

This is one didn't get the suppressor height BUIS though.

I believe that at this point I've done most every one of the more common model Glock slides.

montanadave
01-28-11, 07:18
Where is the battery compartment access on the RMR? Is it on the base, requiring removal to replace and rezeroing?

Can't recall where I read it, but someone reported Trijicon was going to market a mount for the RMR which would fit in a standard slide dovetail, negating the need to have the slide milled. Any information on this option?

Frank Castle
01-28-11, 08:41
Can't recall where I read it, but someone reported Trijicon was going to market a mount for the RMR which would fit in a standard slide dovetail, negating the need to have the slide milled. Any information on this option?

Dave,

That option has been available for quite some time but presents two problems- 1) with the RMR not milled into the slide, the front sight must be unreasonably tall and 2) more importantly, using the rear dovetail for mounting purposes leaves you without a rear sight in which you must mark the rear of the RMR to facilitate some sort of BUIS. The only real advantage to these mounts is that it will allow the shooter to try an MRDS on a handgun that can easily be reversed to the original configuration should the shooter prefer traditional iron sights.

Lucky Strike
01-28-11, 12:14
Where is the battery compartment access on the RMR? Is it on the base, requiring removal to replace and rezeroing?

Yeah you have to take the RMR off to change batteries but everything i've read has said that it holds zero (or very close to it) when you put it back on

DocGKR
01-30-11, 20:57
On properly milled slides, we have not seen any zero shift issues when changing batteries on RMR's...

DocGKR
02-10-12, 19:38
We have been running a trial of a eight RMR02's for the past 2 years. We began a trial of five adjustable RMR07's in December. The RMR07 is convenient on practice pistols, as it can be turned off to practice with the iron sights and to save the battery when not in use. It also allows turning the dot down in intensity for a more precise, less "bloomed" dot for longer range shots. However, there have been a few issues with accidental shifting of red dot settings during pistol manipulations--I have experienced this first hand. In addition, a couple of the RMR07's have been having issues with windage drifting while shooting--be sure to use witness marks! I was at the range today and AGAIN ran into these issues with the adjustable RMR07's. Unlike our RMR02's, the RMR07 glass has a blue tint--this is quite obvious when looking at them, although so far has not been terribly distracting during shooting. I personally see NO advantage to the RMR07 on a duty/carry pistol and a lot of reasons to avoid them. I strongly prefer the RMR02 on duty/carry pistols. It is simple and always on, ready to go. As noted in a post above, we now have some RMR02's that have been running continuously for over 2 yrs without need of a battery change.

So far, the RMR02's have proven capable, durable, and robust enough for duty use. They also fit into the superb Safariland ALS 6354DO duty holster, as well as in modified Safariland SLS 6280/6004 duty holsters.

As much as I love micro-Aimpoints, at this time there are no duty holsters that fit them and no easy way for end-users to modify existing ALS or SLS holsters to work with them.

Biggy
02-10-12, 22:20
Here is some more info on the subject.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94864

PD Sgt.
02-10-12, 22:38
Doc, (or anyone else who can answer) have you found a benefit for those with an astigmatism using the adjustable brightness RMRs? Have you tried the smaller (3.5 moa) dot as well?

I know with my astigmatism and my Aimpoints, if I don't have my prescription lenses on, keeping the brightness adjusted to the ambient light helps keep the dot a bit sharper. The smaller the dot size (2moa over 4moa) helps as well.

I currently have a G19 slide out being milled for a RMR02, but I was considering picking up a 3.5 adjustable for my M&P 9c in the future.

Thanks for any help/insight.

DocGKR
02-10-12, 23:13
The smaller sharper dot helps some folks.

We are awaiting the arrival of some 3.5 MOA RMR06's.

The micro-Aimpoint 2 MOA may also be an option.

PD Sgt.
02-10-12, 23:55
The smaller sharper dot helps some folks.

We are awaiting the arrival of some 3.5 MOA RMR06's.

The micro-Aimpoint 2 MOA may also be an option.

Thanks! I would be interested in hearing your opinion when you get the RMR06s. I think for me and my application (off duty concealed carry) the 2MOA T-1 is probably not going to be a viable option.