PDA

View Full Version : crooked Troy rear battlesight?

ejewels
01-26-11, 21:15
Hello,

I recently got a Troy rear folding battle sight. If I line everything up visually, when the sight is up, the frame that holds the apertures seems bent slightly to the left. I assume its supposed to be completely straight. It is SLIGHT, however i noticed it while making sure all my sights were in alignment. I also noticed I had to adjust my windage to the right a couple clicks too. Is this a bum sight, or can I work with it?

GermanSynergy
01-26-11, 21:22
If you think you have a defective sight, contact Troy. They'll make it right.

Winter
01-26-11, 21:27
If you think you have a defective sight, contact Troy. They'll make it right.

Nuff said.

Eric D.
01-26-11, 21:30
Most like your eyes playing tricks on you. I have the same sight (bcm branded) and, from center, it took 12 clicks to the right to get a zero. I wouldn't worry about it personally.

A note on optical illusions. When I look down my rifle with my right eye closed, the stamping in the barrel is cocked to the left. The stamping is cocked to the right with my left eye closed. Without gages, its usually pretty hard to eyeball things as far as radial alignment.

I recently got a Troy rear folding battle sight. If I line everything up visually, when the sight is up, the frame that holds the apertures seems bent slightly to the left. I assume its supposed to be completely straight. It is SLIGHT, however i noticed it while making sure all my sights were in alignment. I also noticed I had to adjust my windage to the right a couple clicks too. Is this a bum sight, or can I work with it?

ejewels
01-27-11, 07:12
thanks guys. I haven't contacted troy because of what the last post said. I'm wondering if it may just be my eyes playing tricks on me :)

Sanpete
01-27-11, 07:38
When you say you had to adjust the windage a couple clicks, was that to visually align things in the living room or needing to adjust it to zero on the range?

SA80Dan
01-27-11, 08:15
I also noticed I had to adjust my windage to the right a couple clicks too.

I've had rifles where the windage adjustment has been quite heavily off one way or the other. Doesn't matter so long as you can get zeroed; that is what the adjustment is for.

If you do think there is a manufacturing defect and the sight is crooked, however, I've no doubt Troy will help you out.

ejewels
01-27-11, 08:40
When you say you had to adjust the windage a couple clicks, was that to visually align things in the living room or needing to adjust it to zero on the range?

The adjustments were made to zero on the range...

JoshNC
01-27-11, 08:45
I think this was an issue on one batch of early Troy rear sights, but I haven't heard of any problems recently. I bought a Troy rear back when they were first released and contacted Troy. They sent me a new steel locking plate and it solved the issue. I still have that sight on my rifle.

As others have said, call Troy and they will take care of you.

ejewels
01-27-11, 09:48
Well, if the rifle is zeroed, its zeroed correct? Even if I have to adjust my windage about 8-9 clicks and it may be slightly bent to the left, as long as its zeroed, it should work?

seb5
01-27-11, 15:47
Yes, should work fine. When I started using BUIS front and rear it bothered me to have to put 8 or 10 clicks in to get zeroed. I've played with free float rails many times trying to tweak them a bit to get less than 5 clicks to zero. Anymore, as I use them only as a back up to my promary optics I don't worry too much about it. FWIW I've had more than a few A-2's with FSB that took the same amount to zero. No big deal.

GaryXD
01-28-11, 14:55
I think this was an issue on one batch of early Troy rear sights, but I haven't heard of any problems recently. I bought a Troy rear back when they were first released and contacted Troy. They sent me a new steel locking plate and it solved the issue. I still have that sight on my rifle.

As others have said, call Troy and they will take care of you.

This is what I was thinking.

Question for OP:
Is this an old style sight (ie: no coin slot on adjustment wheel)?

ejewels
01-29-11, 08:10
No, it was bought brand new a few months ago. It has the coin slot.

rreynol
01-29-11, 14:05
More recently, there seemed to be a batch that got out like that. I don't have any links but I bet you could find the threads related to them if you googled it.

Last year, I received one of the LaRue branded ones that was more than a couple of clicks off center when zeroed. With the sight folded down, you could clearly see the assembly (i.e. part that flips up) wasn't centered on the mount / upper. LaRue sent a replacement that did not exhibit those same characteristics. Not surprisingly, it was also a lot closer to mechanical center on the sight when zeroed.

jonconsiglio
02-01-11, 09:52
I had to move both of my KAC 200-600 rear sights very far to the right for zero. I almost thought I was just WAY off that day, but had 2 others check it for me. Some guns are just like that.

Hell, one of them was over twenty clicks to the right. The other was close to that as well. Now, if the sight is actually bent, that's another story.

Can you stop by a shop and compare yours to another front sight? Even if they don't stock the sights themselves, if they sell AR's there's a good chance one will have them. Just a thought.

Jonathan

ejewels
02-01-11, 13:18
I could. If it is bent, its only slightly bent. I adjusted the windage over probably 8 or 9 clicks. It zeros fine. I am observing all of this with just eyeballing it, so maybe its an illusion.