PDA

View Full Version : ubr or vltor a5

sac
01-27-11, 06:27
I'm bulding a 18" rifle length precision ar. Which stock would be best to use ?

Thanks Scott

Robb Jensen
01-27-11, 06:42
I'm bulding a 18" rifle length precision ar. Which stock would be best to use ?

Thanks Scott

Function wise both will work fine. If using the UBR use a H2 buffer.
Personally I'm running the VLTOR A5s on just about everything now. It really smooths out all ARs.

MichaelZWilliamson
01-27-11, 06:59
What's the construction of Magpul's proprietary receiver extension?

Robb Jensen
01-27-11, 08:55
What's the construction of Magpul's proprietary receiver extension?

It's an 'entry' length rifle style extension. Also used on the 'Entry' RRA stocks and the Sully stocks.

MichaelZWilliamson
01-27-11, 08:57
7075 or 6061? Though it looks like it gains quite a bit of support from the stock itself.

Robb Jensen
01-27-11, 10:07
7075 or 6061? Though it looks like it gains quite a bit of support from the stock itself.

I don't know what they use, I'd suggest contacting Magpul for that info.

glocktogo
01-27-11, 13:01
Function wise both will work fine. If using the UBR use a H2 buffer.
Personally I'm running the VLTOR A5s on just about everything now. It really smooths out all ARs.

This. I ordered it on my Noveske 18" Rogue Hunter. I like it so much that I'm going back and retrofitting my other carbines with it.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/CIMG0392.jpg

sac
01-27-11, 18:50
Thanks Robb and Glocktogo

Scott

TehLlama
01-28-11, 00:36
On a precision rig, either will do. The UBR is heavier out of the box, but ballasting an EMOD with some 123A's can make that heavier than loading down a UBR - but the default weight works in either.

If minimizing impulse doesn't matter as much to you in that precision rig, you can run a milspec extension and run the EMOD on that.

I really do love the UBR, but the EMOD is my other favorite stock.

bp7178
01-28-11, 03:16
This. I ordered it on my Noveske 18" Rogue Hunter. I like it so much that I'm going back and retrofitting my other carbines with it.

Side bar, what kind of accuracy are you getting out of the lightweight Noveske profile? I was told by noveske, the 16" NST/Rogue Hunter gives up maybe 1/8 MOA and 6oz to the Recon.

But to the topic, I think it is a matter of balance. If you have a lot of weight out front, the UBR really balances out a rifle. With a 16" Recon and 12" DD Lite, the UBR really balanced it out.

My next build, I was prob going with an A5/CTR and one of the NST/Rogue Hunter barrels.

glocktogo
01-28-11, 14:37
Side bar, what kind of accuracy are you getting out of the lightweight Noveske profile? I was told by noveske, the 16" NST/Rogue Hunter gives up maybe 1/8 MOA and 6oz to the Recon.

But to the topic, I think it is a matter of balance. If you have a lot of weight out front, the UBR really balances out a rifle. With a 16" Recon and 12" DD Lite, the UBR really balanced it out.

My next build, I was prob going with an A5/CTR and one of the NST/Rogue Hunter barrels.

I've not yet had an opportunity to really wring it out. I've zeroed it and shot one match so far, but the match I shoot allows FA, so I've been spending more time with my RR 16 lately. I will say this, when I was doing my 50/300 baseline zero with Cor-Bon 55gr FMJ (for gun games), I shot several extra rounds at 50 just because they kept going into the same hole over and over. I wound up with an 8 round hole that was about .32 caliber. :)

Next I switched to a 4" spot on steel at 300 and the first round hit center. The next three also tagged it and I quit because the spot was gone. Then I switched to the 5" threat flipper on a steel torso and tagged it several times in rapid succession. That was from prone rested on a bag.

When the weather warms up I plan to test some true match grade ammo with heavier bullets. From what I've seen so far, I'm perfectly happy with the accuracy and I'm very glad I went with the lighter gun. I came real close to getting the 18" SPR with Switchblock, but I've always appreciated the versatility of the lighter guns.