PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with brass bullets?

blacklabel66
01-27-11, 17:13
I've noticed a lot of the cheaper handgun ammo has what looks like brass coated bullets. I got some S & B 115gr 9mm that has brass bullets, but I also have a few boxes of RWS Match Grade 45 ACP that has brass bullets. Are there any negative effects to them?

wesprt
01-27-11, 17:57
Technically the "copper" jackets of almost all other bullet brands are brass.. They are made out of "gilding metal" which is 95/5 Copper/Zinc. I imagine you see bullets that look more "brassy" because zinc is cheaper than copper and they use more of it. All in all it is still way softer than barrel steel and I wouldn't think the difference in barrel life would be significant.

blacklabel66
01-27-11, 18:32
Thanks for the info, do you know if it affects accuracy in any way?

markm
01-27-11, 21:15
I can remember WIN had some brassy looking bullets that were horse shit for accuracy in the glock barrels. I even had a thead on it tacted over on ARFtard for a while. My G22 groups would open up like a mofo when those junkie ass bullets were fired through it.

mike_556
01-27-11, 22:03
Echoing Mark's comments about the crappy Winchester "brassy" looking bullets they were absolute garbage in .45 in my S.A. NM and RR 1911's