PDA

View Full Version : Buying My First AR

EDMboarder
01-27-11, 18:15
Im looking into buying my first AR sometime in the next 2 weeks. Been trying to research into which brand would be right for me. At first freinds of mine recomended Del-Ton and DPMS for the price. Since then ive strayed away from those and am now looking at a stag 2t or s&w, but would really want colt le 6920 or 6940.
Any advice on making purchase would be nice?

Whootsinator
01-27-11, 18:17
Have you read around this site at all? If you had, all but one of the brands mentioned would have already been eliminated from your thoughts. Go to the AR general and technical sections and read the stickies within.

Hmac
01-27-11, 18:33
Im looking into buying my first AR sometime in the next 2 weeks. Been trying to research into which brand would be right for me. At first freinds of mine recomended Del-Ton and DPMS for the price. Since then ive strayed away from those and am now looking at a stag 2t or s&w, but would really want colt le 6920 or 6940.

If you believe that the US military has learned something about reliability and performance of battle rifles in the the 40 year history of the AR15/M16 platform, then it stands to reason that the closer that a given rifle adheres to those standards, the more reliable it will be.

A good place to start is The Chart (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html) compiled by Rob_s. You will see the spectrum of rifles brands and determine where they sit relative to professional grade weaponry. Review that and see where DelTon, DPMS and Stag sit, then price them. You'll likely find that you can get a LOT better rifle by paying only a little more.

Then read the various sticky threads here.

And, if you want a little quicker eye-opener, search this site using the keywords DPMS, Stag, Del Ton.

bertothepro
01-27-11, 18:35
EDM,
Nice to get your ass jumped on your first post! Don't worry about it, but the search feature is quite helpful and most people are willing to help out someone new.
You can't go wrong with Colt, period, but also check out BCM (Bravo Company USA) they are worth a look.
Good luck and enjoy your hunt for a new rifle.

Semper Fi,
Rob

hunter123
01-27-11, 19:24
For the money you can't beat BCM(very high quality at a good price).Alot of people will agree with me on this.

pjchang7
01-27-11, 19:27
Save yourself in the long run and just spend the extra money on the colt. You'll also save yourself from people telling you how junky your rifle is. =D. But really, if you're just going plinking at the range occasionally, then even del-ton might build a rifle good enough.

Iraqgunz
01-27-11, 20:01
What is the purpose of said AR? I encourage you to look around here and read the mission statement along with the hundreds of stickies and other good info here.

In short if you are looking for a good AR that is reliable then you can't go wrong with the following;

1. Colt 6920
2. Daniel Defense
3. Bravo Company
4. Knight's Armament
5. Noveske
6. LMT

RogerinTPA
01-27-11, 20:14
First, stop listening to your friends for firearms advice. Second, you can get a Colt 6920 for $1100 from CDNN. Other options are BCM, Daniel Defense and LMT in just about any configuration that your wallet can tolerate. S&W is not a bad carbine by any stretch, and can be had on the cheap, but it is not top shelf.

Mr. Biggles
01-27-11, 20:27

Save your money, and make your first purchase with something that you won't regret. It'll save you money, and you'll be 100% happy with it. Do it right the first time.

EDMboarder
01-27-11, 21:32
I just found a Colt LE6920 at the right price availible to me, I think ill stick to that, same price I could get the Stag or S&W for.

Gun is going to be for plinking when I get the chance and for home defence.

Iraqgunz
01-27-11, 22:05
Ok. So the appropriate response would be that the AR is for HOME DEFENSE and you will plink or target shoot when you can.

Which means that you need a good reliable AR and the Colt 6920 is a good choice. I recommend that you stick with the basics, get a suitable flashlight and sling and then start training.

Don't worry about optics, rails and all that other stuff.

I just found a Colt LE6920 at the right price availible to me, I think ill stick to that, same price I could get the Stag or S&W for.

Gun is going to be for plinking when I get the chance and for home defence.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-27-11, 22:17
Good advise here as usual. You will not regret getting the Colt. Just make sure to go shoot the thing.

C-grunt
01-27-11, 22:27
The 6920 really is the Gold Standard that all other rifles are referenced against. There is good reasoning for that. Colt has been building these guns for the military for decades.

My dept issues Colt rifles, aside from a recent purchase of Bushmasters that they regret, to certain patrol officers. A friend of mine has had one for about 11 years. In that time he has shot somewhere north of 12,000 rounds and had a total of 3 malfunctions, all attributed to old worn magazines. He recently got a new one as they are replacing all the older rifles.

WGG
01-28-11, 10:00
Welcome to the forum!

The Colt 6920 will serve you well. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the rifle and shoot several hundred rounds to insure function with your choice of HD load. Try to attend a basic carbine course offered by a reputable trainer. See the Training Course Announcements & AAR's section of the forum for more information.

ejewels
01-28-11, 10:13
Get the colt. I was new to AR's and was in the same boat you are in. I live in a ban state, so I had to get the MT6400c, which is the same as the 6920, only neutered (no bayolug, fixed stock, pinned comp).

Its a great gun and I live mine.

bignc
01-28-11, 11:24
I made the mistake you avoided and picked up a Stag Model 2. Grant it- there have been 0 malfunctions of this rifle of any kind and there may never be- but the fact that Colt, DD, BCM and the like go a little further in the manufacturing is comforting to me! And that is why I am selling it now and upgrading!