PDA

View Full Version : Where is a quality A2 upper?

Eurodriver
01-27-11, 22:12
I don't see any of the quality manufacturers producing an A2 upper. I already have 5 spare BCM BCGs so I'll have a decent BCG, and its not like its a SHTF AR. Maybe get a Bushmaster? Or a Stag? I've had a Stag before with no problems. I just want to make sure Im not missing any deals before I go that route.

I could always build the upper myself but this is just a plinker, and I would have to buy alot of tools...

I already have an M4 Clone and an M16A4 clone, both BCMs. This is going to be an A2 clone. When I get to an A1 clone I'm certain I'll have to build that. I don't see any complete A1 uppers for sale anywhere.

Edit: Just checked gun broker, they have FN uppers for sale. These any good?

Tactical Joke
01-29-11, 08:30
Edit: Just checked gun broker, they have FN uppers for sale. These any good?FN is good, assuming you mean FN Herstal.

justin_247
01-29-11, 09:11
Specialized Armament Warehouse.

Outlander Systems
01-29-11, 10:25
I've been thumb-twiddling for a while waiting for BCM to re-stock their A3-type uppers.

I'm thinking they're vapourware.

nynco
01-29-11, 12:12
Buy a complete WOA upper. I know its just for a plinker. But the price ($700) on a complete one with a match grade barrel is pretty good. But good price is relevant to all people. You can also purchase A2 style uppers from them too.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

Outlander Systems
01-29-11, 12:36
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1913/musketlower.jpg

This lonely bastard is sitting around collecting dust until I can find a non-plinking upper for it. I've got the BCG sitting around as well.

I've considered one of these:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm

But I've got a chubby for a musket assembly with a badness.

nynco
01-29-11, 13:11
I personally would advise against ever using a BCG from another riffle. You can use the carrier. But the bolt itself should always stay with the correct barrel. You can use a new bolt. But the bolt itself once used, wears in to match the barrel chamber. A bot that is mismatched could cause great issues. Harm to the shooter himself being one of them.

Also you are all over the place as to what type of upper. If you are wanting an A2 (carry handle with adjustable elevation and windage iron sights) the WOA one is top notch. It has features of a modern AR disguised in the old A2 look. Like the hand guard looks like a non free float version, but it is in fact a free float tube. The sling attachment is also coupled to the front of the free float hand guard. So you can use a sling for shooting without fear of pulling the barrel. I am sure if you want to have a A2 bird cage flash suppressor added that WOA could do that. This is the upper they build for CMP competition. So it has to look like an A2. But they tweaked it to make it better.

So for an A2 clone I like those. I plan to buy one for CMP comps. But I have other priorities first.

InfiniteGrim
01-29-11, 14:30
I would definetly recommend an Armalite one, but the only problem is that tehy have 1:9 twist barrels.

Iraqgunz
01-29-11, 14:47
Unless he has put alot of rounds through the bolt, it is a non-issue. When he says spare BCG's, I interpet that as spare (not used). As long as he headspaces them then it's no big deal. The same way as if we were replacing a broken bolt in a weapon.

I personally would advise against ever using a BCG from another riffle. You can use the carrier. But the bolt itself should always stay with the correct barrel. You can use a new bolt. But the bolt itself once used, wears in to match the barrel chamber. A bot that is mismatched could cause great issues. Harm to the shooter himself being one of them.

Also you are all over the place as to what type of upper. If you are wanting an A2 (carry handle with adjustable elevation and windage iron sights) the WOA one is top notch. It has features of a modern AR disguised in the old A2 look. Like the hand guard looks like a non free float version, but it is in fact a free float tube. The sling attachment is also coupled to the front of the free float hand guard. So you can use a sling for shooting without fear of pulling the barrel. I am sure if you want to have a A2 bird cage flash suppressor added that WOA could do that. This is the upper they build for CMP competition. So it has to look like an A2. But they tweaked it to make it better.

So for an A2 clone I like those. I plan to buy one for CMP comps. But I have other priorities first.

Remember911
01-30-11, 09:44
I think RRA has one if you like RRA

01-30-11, 09:50
Stay away from RRA. Not known for high quality. See The Chart for good explanation. SAW was mentioned in an earlier post; the place to go for a Colt upper. BCM and DD also good choices.

Avenger29
01-30-11, 09:57
Get a Colt A2 upper.

The FNs are good if they aren't beat to shit...

When I get to an A1 clone I'm certain I'll have to build that. I don't see any complete A1 uppers for sale anywhere.

Sometimes we see the odd batch of milsurp A1 uppers show up...these will generally have the 1/12 twist bbl, and that may be something you don't want (in which case you'd be better off going with getting your own built with a more suitable lightweight bbl)

justin_247
01-30-11, 12:03
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1913/musketlower.jpg

This lonely bastard is sitting around collecting dust until I can find a non-plinking upper for it. I've got the BCG sitting around as well.

I've considered one of these:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm

But I've got a chubby for a musket assembly with a badness.

I'm looking at possibly purchasing that same upper or a Noveske stainless Recce for my rifle.

As for the Op, I think he should just get a BCM 20" upper and put a carry handle on it. That's a much more versatile option than an A2.

Eurodriver
01-30-11, 13:35
As for the Op, I think he should just get a BCM 20" upper and put a carry handle on it. That's a much more versatile option than an A2.

You're absolutely right. But I've already got one. I want an A2 clone.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1774/imgp0086b.jpg

Like Iraqguns said, these are spares, not used BCGs.

Eurodriver
01-30-11, 13:38
Stay away from RRA. Not known for high quality. See The Chart for good explanation. SAW was mentioned in an earlier post; the place to go for a Colt upper. BCM and DD also good choices.

BCM and DD do not make A2 uppers.

I would definetly recommend an Armalite one, but the only problem is that tehy have 1:9 twist barrels.

I know, but its just to have an "A2 Clone". Probably won't get fired more than 1000 rounds a year, if that. I'll definitely look into armalite. Or a Colt if I can find one. I like the idea of FN, but I know how my M16A2 looked back in '07 and...well I definitely wouldn't want that as a personal weapon.

Eurodriver
01-30-11, 13:40
Buy a complete WOA upper. I know its just for a plinker. But the price ($700) on a complete one with a match grade barrel is pretty good. But good price is relevant to all people. You can also purchase A2 style uppers from them too.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

I'll look into these as well, thanks!

Sometimes we see the odd batch of milsurp A1 uppers show up...these will generally have the 1/12 twist bbl, and that may be something you don't want (in which case you'd be better off going with getting your own built with a more suitable lightweight bbl)

That sounds like I'll have to make it myself then. I definitely don't want 1:12 twist.

Edit:

I just looked at armalite. Using a well constructed lower, a quality BCG and one of their uppers, they wouldn't be a bad choice at all. If their chambers are truely 5.56 then the only thing that is not "Chart" worthy would be the 1:9 twist, hardly an issue for a plinker that will see 55gr ammo anyway. They claim to use CMV steel per MIL-B-11595-E.

Iraqgunz
01-30-11, 14:40
Some Armalites' have been known to be tight, i.e. not 5.56. I personally would would use something else.

I'll look into these as well, thanks!

That sounds like I'll have to make it myself then. I definitely don't want 1:12 twist.

Edit:

I just looked at armalite. Using a well constructed lower, a quality BCG and one of their uppers, they wouldn't be a bad choice at all. If their chambers are truely 5.56 then the only thing that is not "Chart" worthy would be the 1:9 twist, hardly an issue for a plinker that will see 55gr ammo anyway. They claim to use CMV steel per MIL-B-11595-E.

Eurodriver
01-30-11, 15:34
Go figure. And just when I thought I was on to something.

I guess I could just keep looking.