PDA

View Full Version : What Optics to get

Teamleader37
08-31-07, 19:27
Ok, dumb question but what are your guys thoughts on what scope to mount on a savage .308 tactical. I'm thinking leupold 3.5x10 but wanted to get some other thoughts. Any info on the "Super Sniper"? Thanks

Dustin

sgtlmj
08-31-07, 21:39
What are you going to be using it for?

2-BPM
08-31-07, 22:34
A lot of the benchrest guys will talk up the super sniper. swfa has a clever little pyramid chart showing why its so cheep...yet so good. hell, the thing even has a naval contract! IMHO the optic is garbage. I ordered one the week after getting back from Iraq. it refused to hold a zero, had very murky glass, but i was stupid and kept it, i don't know why. My buddy was having custom Iron brigade armory rifle built, so while out at the shop one day. i asked The old man about it. Norm chandler rose an eye brow, and then explained. i guess they have brass gears the turrets roll on, and they wear out quickly,bouncing out of adjustment with recoil. if you want a 20x supersniper for $20.00, PM me. by the way, its made by tasco.

Robb Jensen
09-01-07, 06:15
Welcome to www.M4carbine.net

You can't go wrong with Leupold. For your Savage I'd recommend a 3.5-10x 40mm non-illuminated w/M1 turrets (http://www.swfa.com/pc-3182-297-leupold-35-10x40-mark-4-lrt-30mm-riflescope.aspx) from www.swfa.com ($900) (unless you want to spend more). I'm one of those who believes that you should buy the best optic, mount and rings that you can afford.

Modern rifles are capable of accuracy that many shooters that use them will never see either because of lack of shooting skill or junk optics, mounts and rings. It's just one of those really weird things that we see in the gun business. I just baffles me that some will buy a $1K+ rifle and then want a 'cheap' scope and by cheap I mean $150 scope (and $20 aluminum rings and mounts). Or some will buy a $1.5K+ pistol and then want a 'cheap' holster like an Uncle Mikes or Fobus $25 plastic holster (not even kydex)........I just don't get it.

Teamleader37
09-01-07, 08:48
Sgtlmj- I'm going to use the gun to go through a sniper class and of course play with it in the field.

2-BPM- No thanks on the "Super Sniper" I think you convinced me.:D I appreciate the offer though lol.

gotm4- Thanks for the info and your right, why spend good money on a rifle or any weapon and then put cheap shit on it. Thanks for the info guys. Any places to get deals on a Leupold would be greatly appreciated also.

sgtlmj
09-01-07, 13:36
Sgtlmj- I'm going to use the gun to go through a sniper class and of course play with it in the field.

It's for general use then, and not static shooting. In that case I'm with gotM4. The Leupold 3.5-10x40 M1 LR is a solid scope and will serve you well. I had one on my sniper rifle for years until I could afford a USO.

One of the guys on our team shoots a Savage 10FP in 308 w/ the 20" bbl. It's a consistent .75MOA shooter all day. Never had a lick of trouble with it in over 1,500rds. The only modification was to dump the tupperware stock and stick a B&C Duramax on it.

Teamleader37
09-01-07, 16:20
Sgt- thanks for the info about the stock. that was actually my next question. I will check it out.

Gunfighter13
09-01-07, 19:25

I would recommend that you get a Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm LRT. You will be shooting in low light and you will like the lit mil dot.

"Account for every shot" will be the rule of the day.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3276-297-leupold-35-10x40-mark-4-lrt-30mm-riflescope.aspx

Edit: You may want to add a 20 MOA mount to aid in the long range shots.

Gunfighter13
09-01-07, 19:56

What school? LE or MIL

Teamleader37
09-01-07, 21:03
it will be a LE school in O-H-I-O..by the way go bucks:) Thanks for all the info, it's been a big help.

Gunfighter13
09-01-07, 21:13
it will be a LE school in O-H-I-O..by the way go bucks:) Thanks for all the info, it's been a big help.

Make sure your gun is sighted in and verified from 100 yards to 600 yards. You
can expect to shoot from 100 to 600 yards at stationary, movers, bobbers and stop and go targets. Take extra ammo to. Have fun and give us a after action report.

abnk
09-02-07, 09:12
Here's a review on the Super Sniper: http://www.snipersparadise.com/newproducts/swfass.htm

Gun-nut
09-06-07, 20:13
If you've never dealt with SWFA, they have been a great company to deal with in my experience.
I purchased a Leupold from them and they threw in several additional items for free.:)

Teamleader37
09-11-07, 17:38
thanks guys for all the info it has really been helpful...i'll send some pics when I get it done, hopefully soon.

Paulinski
09-11-07, 17:43
I went with Leupold Mark 4 3-9X36 TMR for my SPR build (still in progress) utilizing LaRue SPR mount.

For my future Remington 700P I will get Nightforce 5.5-22X50 with Warne Plus Rail and TPS scope rings.

Paul

CobraCutterPB
09-25-07, 15:00
I went with Leupold Mark 4 3-9X36 TMR for my SPR build (still in progress) utilizing LaRue SPR mount.

For my future Remington 700P I will get Nightforce 5.5-22X50 with Warne Plus Rail and TPS scope rings.

Paul

Do yourself a favor and look at Seekins/Badger Hardware. TSP/Warne is junk compared to the stuff Glen Seekins puts out.

Paulinski
09-25-07, 15:14
Do yourself a favor and look at Seekins/Badger Hardware. TSP/Warne is junk compared to the stuff Glen Seekins puts out.

Thanks for the info. I will check them out.

Paul

bigant
10-05-07, 14:50
you can buy me USO SN3;) Seekins is the way to go..He's moving/moved so it might be a couple weeks until you get rings or base if you go that route.

CobraCutterPB
10-09-07, 20:44
Specs on us SN3, interested in trades? Guns/Accsesories/Optics

Combat_Medic
10-10-07, 12:46
You have a diffucult choice on your hands there are so many scopes out there. But I am a big Leuplod fan.... but $$. I also enjoy My S&B PMII again...$$.

Has Tasco come out with there Varriable Super Sniper yet??...If not... I have heard nothing but good things about there fixed 10X.

Good luck
Doc

GONIF
10-11-07, 12:47
have you ever considered the Nikon X 4-16x50 mil dot (model#8415) ,I have been very pleased with the 2 I own. I have compared these to the Leupold scopes and at the $850.00 price point you would have a very hard time beating the Nikon x scopes.

mactastic
10-31-07, 17:20
Schmidt & Bender and US optics

If you have the cash