PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Rezarf2
01-28-11, 10:02
I recently sold a gun and freed up some fun money. I have found two guns locally that turn my head.

I found a nice Springfield TRP that is in find condition, but I would need to tweek it a bit, and undo a few things the previous own did, grips, thumb safety, sights. However the gun is vault like tight and hasn't been shot much.

The other I saw was a nice Smith and Wesson 329pd ultra-light 44 mag. I would have a use for this gun as a backcountry gun and the fact that we are traveling and camping/hiking/backpacking in big bear country this summer and next. Idealy I'd like something a bit bigger for bear deterant but this one is screaming at me for a nice price.

I sold my most recent gun thinking I wanted to build a 1911, as I have several and love the platform. However, I can't build one for the price of the TRP. The S&W however, wouldn't be a fun range gun but would serve its purpose well and is nealry $250 cheaper. Downside is, its a new caliber and platform to learn.

Just curious as to how you'd think through this.

Thanks in advance-

chuckman
01-28-11, 10:06
If I had those options I would get the TRP. I am not a fan of "vault-like tight" 1911s (to me "vault-like tight"= "FTF"); however, the TRP is a good gun and you can change the things you don't like about it as you have said.

Rezarf2
01-28-11, 10:12
If I had those options I would get the TRP. I am not a fan of "vault-like tight" 1911s (to me "vault-like tight"= "FTF"); however, the TRP is a good gun and you can change the things you don't like about it as you have said.

I have one TRP full rail operator that I have shot thousands of rounds through and it feels "looser" vault like might have been a bit of an exaggeration but there is zero binding and feels like it is on oiled ball bearings. The Barrel lock up is superb. The pull for this TRP is that it is a standard 1911 and fits more holsters, doesn't weigh as much etc.

Outrider
01-28-11, 11:47
I'd definitely stay away from the S&W 329PD in .44 Magnum. I have a friend who hikes, backpacks, and does camping. He is fanatical about the weight of his gear. He wanted to get a gun for self defense on the trails. He was looking at a .357 Scandium framed S&W revolver.

There was a range that had one for rent. I tried to warn him about shooting .357 Magnum rounds in it but he insisted. He fired five shots and hated the recoil. When he fired the .357 Magnum in a regular S&W 686 he was able to deal with the recoil issues better and get his followup shots. He ended up not getting the airweight / Scandium stuff because he learned the lightweight revolvers are comfortable to carry but not comfortable to shoot and the whole reason for getting it was to shoot it.

Of course, you'll do what you want, but getting a gun you think you'll need for emergencies but you don't want to practice with because it's unpleasant to shoot should tell you something. -I'd choose a S&W 629 any day over the 329PD .44 Magnum. If I need to use it, I rather have something that is easier to shoot than something that is punishing on the shooter. Why would you want to make your job as a shooter more difficult?

chuckman
01-28-11, 12:38
I have one TRP full rail operator that I have shot thousands of rounds through and it feels "looser" vault like might have been a bit of an exaggeration but there is zero binding and feels like it is on oiled ball bearings. The Barrel lock up is superb. The pull for this TRP is that it is a standard 1911 and fits more holsters, doesn't weigh as much etc.

Yeah, that's exactly to what I was referring. My vote is still the TRP. :)

Magic_Salad0892
01-28-11, 19:19
If I was going to get a 1911 I would go out and look for a Colt Series 70 and get it finished in SIG black, and add a few other parts, or build my own on a FZ Kit.

Skip the revolver.

GermanSynergy
01-28-11, 19:22
What would I do with that kind of coin?

Buy a 9mm M&P, ammo and a training class. :cool:

mkmckinley
01-28-11, 19:29
If you already have a bunch of 1911's why don't you get some ammo for them instead of yet another one. Or better yet a Dillon 550B and some reloading components. .45 ACP is one of the best calibers to reload.

DocGKR
01-28-11, 19:45
329PD...no thanks.

If you already have several 1911's, why do you need another?

Use the money to purchase practice ammo and a good quality training class or two...

poirierpro
01-29-11, 01:35

Full size or compact??

300WM
01-29-11, 07:25
Sell one of the 1911's you still have (but like the least), get the TRP and carry it with +p ammo on the trail (or one of the other 1911's you have), and still do the build. A few spare, loaded with +p ammo mags take up less room in a backpack (or pocket/fanny pack) than do speed loaders.

ralph
01-29-11, 08:21
If you already have a bunch of 1911's why don't you get some ammo for them instead of yet another one. Or better yet a Dillon 550B and some reloading components. .45 ACP is one of the best calibers to reload.

BINGO! .45 is also probably one of the easiest to reload as well...

WBAR
01-29-11, 08:33
I have a number of 1911s in different calibers, one of them is a 10mm Dan Wesson. I would consider it better for the "trail" than .45. I believe Kimber also makes a 10mm 1911. Look on Gunbroker or at gunshows and you can probably find one even though they're scarce.

jaxman7
01-29-11, 08:59
I agree with GS. The 1911 is my favorite handgun ever made but I have become very attached to my 9FS. Get one w/a thumb safety if you still plan on running a 1911 from time to time. The old .45 is a great gun but too finnicky at times without some serious $ and knowledge of the weapon. You can get the M&P for about the third of the price of a good 1911 and 9mm is cheaper to run. Plus you won't get ragged at by the instructor so much if you take a class because you will not be reloading as much as the other guys with Glocks and M&Ps. ;)

-Jax

Rezarf2
01-29-11, 11:36
I'd definitely stay away from the S&W 329PD in .44 Magnum. I have a friend who hikes, backpacks, and does camping. He is fanatical about the weight of his gear. He wanted to get a gun for self defense on the trails. He was looking at a .357 Scandium framed S&W revolver.

There was a range that had one for rent. I tried to warn him about shooting .357 Magnum rounds in it but he insisted. He fired five shots and hated the recoil. When he fired the .357 Magnum in a regular S&W 686 he was able to deal with the recoil issues better and get his followup shots. He ended up not getting the airweight / Scandium stuff because he learned the lightweight revolvers are comfortable to carry but not comfortable to shoot and the whole reason for getting it was to shoot it.

Of course, you'll do what you want, but getting a gun you think you'll need for emergencies but you don't want to practice with because it's unpleasant to shoot should tell you something. -I'd choose a S&W 629 any day over the 329PD .44 Magnum. If I need to use it, I rather have something that is easier to shoot than something that is punishing on the shooter. Why would you want to make your job as a shooter more difficult?

I have shot an airweight frame 357 magnum Smith and Wesson. I didn't find it out of control or painful. The 329pd wouldn't be a range toy, but oz. really do count when you are logging miles. However, if I actually needed to put rounds on a critter, recoild will most likely be the least of my worries. I am a large guy and recoil control/mitigation isn't something I have had an issue with in the past. Your point is well taken though.

Been there done that, still doing that.

This is tempting. I thought about buying a press and starting to reload and the 550b makes a lot of sense as it converts so well to high power rifle rounds as well.

Thanks for all the imput. I am going to go haggle over each gun and see where I get.

ralph
01-29-11, 19:33
I have shot an airweight frame 357 magnum Smith and Wesson. I didn't find it out of control or painful. The 329pd wouldn't be a range toy, but oz. really do count when you are logging miles. However, if I actually needed to put rounds on a critter, recoild will most likely be the least of my worries. I am a large guy and recoil control/mitigation isn't something I have had an issue with in the past. Your point is well taken though.

Been there done that, still doing that.

This is tempting. I thought about buying a press and starting to reload and the 550b makes a lot of sense as it converts so well to high power rifle rounds as well.

Thanks for all the imput. I am going to go haggle over each gun and see where I get.

Drew

I do own a 550, (I've had it for 11yrs now) I load both rifle and handgun calibers with it, It's been pretty much problem free,God only knows how many 10's of thousands of rounds I've loaded on it. Buying a press and loading your own, will let you shoot/train more and reduce you costs..not to mention being able to make some damned accurate ammo..

Rezarf2
01-29-11, 20:38
Made a deal for the TRP, no regrets, just smiles. The other owner wouldn't budge on the 329pd, and I do love the gun... in the end the better deal was the TRP.

If I end up not like it, or feeling too redundant in my purchase I will be able to get out of it what I have in it, and then some.

Thanks guys for letting me air this one out.