PDA

View Full Version : My First AR

tjhjunk
08-31-07, 21:44
Hi folks , just joined and wanted to say hello. So here it is, been around guns all my life mostly shotguns and handguns. But just recently developed a powerful jones for an AR.

I've been lurking around a few of the other forums trying to learn about the AR and just seem to get confused as to what I want.

I'm sure that I want to buy a complete rifle, but where do you start? It seems to me that I should put my money where I get the most bang for my buck.

This rifle will be used for plinking and home defense. Optics are not a must right now as I want to learn to shoot the irons first.

This has probably been covered in detail but please humor me. My budget is around $1500.00.

Tim:confused:

cookiemonster
09-01-07, 00:30
Hey Tim, I would suggest that you get an lmt or colt, pof:).

Buy a complete upper (500-600 dollars less bcg, ch, etc.) and a complete lower for 400-500 and just slap it on!

good luck on what ever you decide to get!

HankL
09-01-07, 08:20
Welcome Aboard Tim.

tjhjunk
09-01-07, 09:27
Man this site is :cool: I've already learned a great deal.

I'm now thinking that I can really get more bang for my buck by building myself:eek: .

Correct me If I'm wrong. 1 complete upper + 1 complete lower, add the bolt, charging handle, hand guard, and site = complete rifle.

Tim

DRich
09-01-07, 10:48
Correct me If I'm wrong. 1 complete upper + 1 complete lower, add the bolt, charging handle, hand guard, and site = complete rifle.

Tim

Actually:

1 complete upper + 1 complete lower = 1 complete rifle.

A complete upper assembly will have the bolt, carrier, charging handle, handguards and sights.

DRich
09-01-07, 10:49
Oops...double tap.

Shihan
09-01-07, 13:58
For 1500.00 you could have pretty much anything you want. Buy quality and you cant go wrong. Colt, LMT, the new one Grant is selling from ADS is a great value for half of your budget.

Voodoochild
09-01-07, 14:10
What about Noveske's new boom stick. He could get one of his for that budget. Either way get with the dealers here and they will hook you up. All of them are GTG and I will give you my word you will be totally satisfied.

toddackerman
09-01-07, 16:05
For 1500.00 you could have pretty much anything you want. Buy quality and you cant go wrong. Colt, LMT, the new one Grant is selling from ADS is a great value for half of your budget.

More complaints have been lodged by those who try to "Build Them Themseleves". When they don't run (many times) yo have no where to get help. Each vendor points the finger at the other saying....not my fault!

Go to GandR Tactical.com, and talk to Grant. He is absolutely "Top Shelf with No Dust".

For $1500 he will set you up, tune the weapon and guarantee your satisfaction. You won't get that from Bushmaster, Colt, Armalite etc. They're just too big to be able to offer that kind of Service. Not that they don't make some good products, they do. They just suffer from "Post Sales QC".

For $1500, I would go with a 16" LMT M4 Upper with a Iron Site, complete Bolt Carrier Group, LMT SOPMOD Stock, and you'd probably have a little left to get an all important light setup, and sling.

I'm trying to decide which rifle I want Grant to build for me next, and it'll be pretty close to what I just outlined as I'm looking to do a more simple build. I already have a "Loaded" LMT MRP from him that is flawless! It's worth about $3500.00

Good Luck and welcome to the club!

Yack

tjhjunk
09-01-07, 16:49
OK, Now were getting some were. Thanks for the info yack. Grants name keeps popping up. Is my best bet to call and ask for "Grant" or is there some other method of getting in touch? Also, I guess that they build the rifle and ship. Some say build yourself but I would rather leave that up to the experts.

Tim

Voodoochild
09-01-07, 20:06
Call and talk to him.