PDA

View Full Version : AR Recommendations needed

BrianXD
08-08-06, 12:07
I've read lots on all different manufactures but can't get a good sense of what is what. I was hoping to get some recommendations here as after reading lots of threads you folks seem pretty accomplished. I am interested in function and long term durability.

From my reading, I think I have narrowed the field to
POF
LMT
STAG
Bushmaster

I love the piston concept. Is POF's products a good execution of the concept?
LMT seems to have a good rep. Are they worth the extra bucks?
STAG is new but has been reccomended. How are they?
Bush is the old standby but I expect there are better companies out there.

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks in advance!

dubb-1
08-08-06, 12:19
What is the intended purpose of this gun?

SuicideHz
08-08-06, 12:29
POF and their piston system seem to be the best all around choice for a piston system and a company to stand behind their product. Colt is coming out with one soon and they are ALL still young...

LMTs are nice and I'd like to buy a complete lower for SBR- just for the subtle/subdued rollmarkings.

Stag is as good as any and is really gaining in popularity. CMT is the machine shop who makes the forgings for Stag as well as many other companies. There is nothing wrong with Stag except for the deer head. That is the only complaint I ever hear.

Bushmaster is just Bushmaster to me.

If you don't mind buying the rifle in pieces, Bravo Company has some nice uppers to choose from. They have all of the most popular military or mil-spec features that everyone seems to want.

BrianXD
08-08-06, 12:52
thanks.. usage is for personal defense and sport.

I like the Colt piston but it will only be for LE. I like Colt guns but I want a flat top and a gas block with no site so I can use a folder which are not offered as far as I can tell.

What is a deed head? You mean their logo?

9DivDoc
08-10-06, 22:09
My favorite combo and best bang for the buck...imo

Is Denny's GTS lower with a BCM middie upper....

If I wanted to spend a little more to get a little more I'd go with a GTS
16" Mike Rock Cr lined middie or a Noveske Afghan...

I'd also wait to check out the LaRue Tactical billet upper for my higher end
build...

Haven't seen a VLTOR MUR but the pics look good and the feedback on them
is also good...

M4arc
08-11-06, 05:59
thanks.. usage is for personal defense and sport.

I like the Colt piston but it will only be for LE. I like Colt guns but I want a flat top and a gas block with no site so I can use a folder which are not offered as far as I can tell.

What is a deed head? You mean their logo?

Just an FYI the Colt piston carbine (LE1020) isn't LE only, they will be selling them to us civilians.

Bulldog1967
08-11-06, 13:08
I built an all LMT rifle with a Laurer (LMT) stripped lower and an LMT 16" upper from Bravo Company.

It is my favorite AR and is very reliable.

ChromeLined
08-13-06, 10:50
Im gonna go with the POF upper because not only does it come highly recomended they seem so far to be the only company that coats the inside of the upper as well.Bushmaster and DSA are using the system and the Colt piston rifle will be able to be had by us civies just like their LE6920:D .

nyeti
08-13-06, 23:35
In all the classes I have run, the COlt LE6920 we buy exclusively from SAW have proven to be very reliable, and a grea gun. I am totally thrilled with my LMT MRP, especially my 14.5 in a rifle upper. I own no Bushmasters.....there is a reason for this. I have both good and bad about the POF's from folks with well established credentials (this can be said about the LMT's as well).

With the criteria given, I would do an all Colt build (I'm a snob on this) with a LaRue 9.0 forend and gas block to replace the stock Colt forend parts and front sight.

svtar15
08-14-06, 14:43
Doublestar lowers are hot now too. They are mil spec, forged lowers. I have two. Good stuff.

LIL-COMMANDO
09-03-06, 13:21
Colt, Colt, Colt, yes this is a good way to go pay the little extra and get something that is reliable it is worth every penny.

I have a Colt Sporter light weight I purchased in 1992 and have used it in my carbine classes without any problems. I then purchased earlier this year a DPMS to save money and buy the goodies to add on. I am now selling my DPMS and waiting for my LE6920 to come in from SAW. Im a Colt man and will be using what works for duty purpose. I have seen many other weapons shoot well with a couple hundred rounds plinking around but when your shooting one thousand rounds in two days I see all the malfunctions and other problems. My Colt kept feeding and shooting with no problems so this is a weapon I can trust to do the job.

stuntmedic
09-03-06, 17:02
Another vote for the LMT. I've been to several classes and put a lot of round through it and it's been totally reliable, no problems whatsoever.

ex_soldier1911
09-03-06, 21:38
I'll be the loner here and vote for Bushmaster because thats what I own. I have not fired any others besides my issued Colt M4, so I can't compare my Bushmaster to anything else. I am 100% satisfied with my rifle and evertyhing on it seems to be perfect.

smith m4
09-03-06, 22:15
I am no authority but I really like my Smtih & Wesson M&P15

_DR
09-06-06, 00:47
I've read lots on all different manufactures but can't get a good sense of what is what. I was hoping to get some recommendations here as after reading lots of threads you folks seem pretty accomplished. I am interested in function and long term durability.

From my reading, I think I have narrowed the field to
POF
LMT
STAG
Bushmaster

I love the piston concept. Is POF's products a good execution of the concept?
LMT seems to have a good rep. Are they worth the extra bucks?
STAG is new but has been reccomended. How are they?
Bush is the old standby but I expect there are better companies out there.

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't kick any of those weapons out of bed.
Of those I would likely get the POF, but that's only because I already have several DI AR15 variants.

BTW very good review on the POF in Small ARms Review this month or last.