PDA

View Full Version : FNP 9 v. CZ SP-01 Tactical

JB326
01-28-11, 23:30
Hello Gentlemen,
I recently sold my "hunting rifle" and I'm in the market for a new pistol. I will preface my thread by saying that I'm a LEO and we are only allowed to carry Glocks. Actually I would most likely still CARRY a Glock even if I had a choice. Beyond that, I am a fairly competent pistol shooter, and I shoot smalltime competitions here and there when I have a spare minute. But variety is the spice of life, and I'm ready for some more flavor. What ever I end up getting will most likely see some 3 gun/ IDPA usage, a lot of range time, and a little bit of carry. I say all of that to say that I'm a fairly experienced shooter but I have ZERO experience with either of these guns, and that is why I bring my dilemma to you guys here. I have never been anything less than impressed with the knowledge here on m4C.

The CZ SP-01 Tactical (not the Phantom) is somewhat of a bucket list pistol for me. I really don't know why, but it is. They fit my hands better than anything else I've ever handled, and I like the heft. I was actually dead set on the CZ until I read a few things about some part breakages/ durability issues. I've searched here and read a good bit on the CZ, but I'd really like to get some fresh up to date intel before I make my final decision.

The FN was not even on my radar until I went to the shop this past week, and they have the gun, five mags (2x 10rds, 3x16rds), and the 'Shooter's Pack" (holster and double mag pouch) all for $499. (And since my holster company is a vendor at the shop, I was quoted $500 out the door.) The CZ still feels better to me than the FN, but the FN feels better to me than a Glock, and the price on the FN set-up seems pretty hard to beat. Again, I can only go from internet testimonials on this gun, but everything I've read seems pretty positive.

I look forward to your feedback and opinions... Thanks in advance!

Lincoln7
01-28-11, 23:43
I have both of those pistols and like them both very much. The biggest difference between them is the weight. The CZ is a tank and the FNP is a featherweight. Surprisingly the recoil is very much the same. I weighed my CZ tac and my 1911 both loaded and the CZ weighed more (16rd and 8rd mags, respectively). The night sights on the CZ are great and it's heft feels wonderful in the hand but rough while on the hip. I performed quite a bit of trigger work on my CZ to get it nice (stoned/polished sear, shortened hammer hooks, polish internals, I also removed the right side decocking lever). The FNP required no trigger work but it did need some work externally. I removed the right side decocking lever for it was just in the way, I trimmed the left side decocking lever for it stuck out to far/got in the way of the slide stop, removed the plastic that shrouded the magazine release button. They both shoot wonderfully but as long as you aren't carrying it all day, I recommend the CZ. It has been accurate out to 50 yards off hand for me and just shoots like a dream. Good luck!

RancidSumo
01-29-11, 00:12
I love the feel of the CZ's but from what I've read, the FN will probably be better for hard use. I don't have and have never shot a CZ pistol but I have some experience with an FN. My advice if you get one is to lock the slide back for a while and only shoot hot loads for the first few hundred otherwise you may experience feeding issues.

JB326
01-29-11, 12:15
Thanks for info guys. I now have my cash in hand, so something will come home with me later this afternoon. It still may come down to a gametime decision though, I just can't make up my mind.

JB326
01-29-11, 20:42
Well, I solved my dilemma finally... I bought a Glock 34! While I was standing in the shop, the CZ in one hand and the FN in the other, I looked down and low and behold there was a very slightly used G34. I carry a G35 as a duty weapon and I guess I've kinda always wanted a 34 for recreational use, so now I have it. I bought a bunch of Glock 9mm magazines a long time ago for cheap, so I'm good to go on mags and gear, and I already pretty much know how it will shoot/ how to shoot it.

I guess I'll go for variety next time around!

Thanks just the same for the advice.

dsg2003gt
01-29-11, 21:33
Good call, if you really have to pick something other than the glock, go with the CZ Shadow. That gun is fantastic.

the FN is just ok and you cant leave the sp-01 cocked and locked.