PDA

View Full Version : Help with running lightest components

jeeper2269
01-29-11, 00:53
I am having a problem figuring out what the lightest colapsable stock, BUS, vertical grip, holographic sight.

For,
Noveske N4 light low-profile shorty 10.5

:confused:

jeeper2269
01-29-11, 01:08
forgot flashlight too

friends running surefire g2, and x300

jdub75
01-29-11, 01:34
BUS: Magpul
RDS: Aimpoint Micro
Vertical Grip: None. Do you really need one?
Light: Streamlight TLR 3 (pistol lite, but brite enuf for HD) TLR 1 is a bit heavier but good out to 40-50 yards in my experience with one

ForTehNguyen
01-29-11, 08:10
Magpul MOE buttstock would be among the lightest stocks, its pretty minimal

jwperry
01-29-11, 09:25
I am having a problem figuring out what the lightest colapsable stock
Standard carbine or small ones found on Colt Commandos (not sure of the name)

BUS,

I'd wager something like the KAC 300m micro sight, but I can't find a weight on them.

vertical grip

Tango Down Stubby

holographic sight.

Aimpoint Micro in a Daniel Defense mount, pick your flavor of Micro

CEK
01-29-11, 12:02
KAC 300M is 1.5oz.

Also checked: ARMS 40L 1.9oz.
LMT 3.8oz.
A2 carry handle Colt 9.1oz.

Found this odd chopped carry handle (like LMT) was 5 oz.

Thats all I had that wasn't mounted on a gun.

EzGoingKev
01-31-11, 07:57
The URXII is a pretty light setup that also has the front sight built in. It also significantly lightens your wallet.

Team that up with an MBUS rear sight and you might a winner.

Skyfire1201
02-02-11, 21:37
here's a thread on component weights (google docs): http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52088.

Here's my experience with light weight components:

BUIS:
DD fixed front and rear, ~1oz each.

Stock:
original CAR stock is probably the lightest, though I don't have the specifics. Vltor IMOD is very close to Magpul CTR, and probably lighter if you remove the battery compartment. It's also one of the only stock that survived a military drop test (can't remember the link now).

RDS:
I'm a big fan of Insight MRDS. With KZ mount and shroud, the unit only weighs ~3.8oz. Take it with a grain of salt since I haven't put it through rigorous training yet, so I don't know how it'll fair in "real world".

Light:
Surefire X300 weighs 3.7oz w/ batteries. It was a hard decision between it and the Streamlight TLR for me, but I ended up picking the X300 due to the bulletproof construction (there's a thread comparing design and construction between the two, and Surefire came out ahead).

TehLlama
02-02-11, 23:06
I'd go old school Carbine stock, or the MOE if you want a MagPul one.
If weight is THE consideration, then KAC for folding sights, DD for fixed.
I'd live with the added weight of the Aimpoint Micro for the added durability, brightness range, and battery life. Run the LT AbsCo mount on a VFZ attachment.
SureFire X300 would be my choice (one lives on my 10.5"), the TLR3 uses odd batteries, but it is lighter.
The M300 would also be pretty light, but you'll probably be happiest running an X300 at 12:00.

Overall lighter weight is good, but if you think of it in terms of lightness being a facet of the weapon that enhances effectiveness, a few heavier parts (X300/T1-H1) might still make more sense.

strambo
02-05-11, 11:25
Regular M4 stock or MOE

H1 in a DD mount

X300 (or mini scout in a gear sector mount if you have the $)

Magpul RVG

DD fixed or MBUIS

ryan
02-05-11, 11:28
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=39599&highlight=project+featherweight

$CashMoney$
02-05-11, 11:34
Consideration:

I built the lightest gun I possibly could for my wife, DD LW mid-length 16" with micro T-1, JP forend, and CAR-15 stock. I used an H2 buffer to help with recoil, and the gun still jumps like a greyhound out of the gate on recoil. So maybe lighter wasn't better?

BBJones13
02-05-11, 12:18
Consideration:

I built the lightest gun I possibly could for my wife, DD LW mid-length 16" with micro T-1, JP forend, and CAR-15 stock. I used an H2 buffer to help with recoil, and the gun still jumps like a greyhound out of the gate on recoil. So maybe lighter wasn't better?

get a battlecomp.

Nevermiss
02-05-11, 15:32
Well my 6th AR became my lightweight rifle and I was lazy.

I ordered the Magpul/KAC Special Edition Rifle.

It has a 16" barrel (dimpled in the front), LW-URX rail with integrated front sight, CTR stock and MOE grip. I added a T1 with a KAC mount and for a light I used a SF E1B body and added a VME head with Malkoff M31 drop in (200 lumens with (1) CR123 battery and about 1 hr runtime) in a Gear Sector mount. The total weight of the light and mount is 4.7 oz. I have a bottom rail section added with a Gear Sector hand stop. It has also has a triple tap that does a great job of minimizing recoil signature and muzzle rise. I never thought a rifle this light would shoot sooooooo soft.

Total weight.....7 lbs. 2.5 oz.

The new LaRue OBR 556 PredatAR should weigh about the same as this except it will only be $1495!

TehLlama
02-05-11, 17:10
Consideration:

The Battlecomp will make a huge difference - my wife's is also the DD LW Middy, with a VTAC foreend and H2, but the BC made the difference. It's scary flat shooting.
So much so, that I had to buy her a MagPul Dynamics SR15 so I could end up with one of them.
(Which will wear a T1 on KAC Mount, SF M300 on GearSector Offset)

trauma
02-05-11, 20:30
My noveske weighs 9 lbs but now I look like this..............http://www.mensgarage.com/health/the-dangers-of-steroids/