PDA

View Full Version : 870 stock choices

Amicus
01-29-11, 10:17
Trying to stock a Rem 870 for 3-gun/home defense is driving me crazy. I would like a standard “sporting-style” stock with a LOP of about 13.5”. Remington stocks are a bit flimsy for my purposes. Speedfeeds are more robust, but have seriously declined in quality (in my experience) and I am trying to replace a Speedfeed stock with a 14” LOP because it just doesn’t mount very well. (I’m pretty average in size, and Rem stocks at 14” will mount acceptably, but Speedfeed ones do not.)

(I'd like to avoid SF stocks altogether considering what I have seen recently; I have one in my collection that is just embarrassing in QC and makes this one look good:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=67645&highlight=Speedfeed)

What else? Hogue stocks seem to come in two sizes” 14.25” and 12” – too long and too short for this particular Goldilocks.

I’m even considering a Mesa Tactical Urbino, even though I would prefer a non-pistol grip style, because I can tolerate a pistol grip with a slightly shorter LOP (12.5” for the Urbino).

I do not want "adjustability," I just want a stock that fits, is robust, and is put together correctly. Any ideas?

Buck
01-29-11, 11:01
I believe the answer to your problem is quite simple and straight forward... What I see is that you are looking for a 21st century solution to a 19th century problem... Here is the advice that I will recommend...

Hopefully you still have the original police wood stock that came with the shotgun and the mounting bolt and hardware... If not they can be had very inexpensively on a number auction sites...

Locate a quality firearms shop in your area that caters to the high end sporting clays and African safari crowd. Take your shotgun and sock there. They will have a large selection of recoil pads for you to choose from and they will also offer stock fitting and pad installation... It is very likely they will also be a Remington factory authorized repair facility.

Be sure to wear the type of outer garment that you will use when you are mounting the shotgun. They will measure you and fit the stock and recoil pad to the exact LOP that you desire...

This was a very common practice in the firearms world before we replaced all the craftsmen with part swappers...

Just my .02

B

Amicus
01-30-11, 08:33
Buck:

And a very appropriate and correct $0.02 that was, sir. Sometimes the best solution is, simply, the best solution rather than the quick one.

Thanks for reminding me of the value of traditional methods. The only problem is that I anticipate some delay in doing this, but, "you can have is cheap, you can have it right, or you can have it fast ..."

Amicus

3 AE
01-30-11, 09:27
I purchased a Remington 870 HD over 5 years ago. I changed out the stock with a factory Remington Youth Stock Set, 13" LOP. With just over 1000 rounds through it, I don't see anything flimsy at all with it. It's still as stiff as when I bought it. The fit was dead on with no gaps. If you shoot bladed in your position then you'll probably be wanting a longer LOP. At a defensive shotgun course I took. We were taught to be more "squared up" to the target. Most of the guys who I would categorize as large men shot with stocks that were no more than 13" LOP and most shot with 12" to 12.5" LOP.

Amicus
01-31-11, 07:49
3 AE: Your point is well-taken. I am still looking hard at the Rem Youth stock at 13". Rem also makes a stock adjustment kit for the Youth that allows the owner to increase the LoP by 1/4" increments.

I have only attended one "tactical" shotgun class, and that did not address stock fit. Most persons ran stock or stock-ish Mossberg 500s and blading was quite common. Too be fair, the two-day class was primarily pistol with some training in transitions to shotgun. The shotguns were, for the most part, "come-as-you-are" (i.e., house guns).

Anyway, I don't have a lot of experience in fitting a shotgun for "squaring off," although I am very aware of the concept from AR classes and contacts with members of warrant teams and emergency response units. In the presence of one such officer, I tried mounting several stocks, including a Rem Youth, and, in his opinion, he thought that was "a little too short." But, I am about 5'10" and I do have to bend over to tie my shoes.

3 AE: Please tell me, if you have any experience in this, is the 12" stock roughly like using an entry stock with an AR? If it is that short to use, I may pass; I hate entry stocks.

Thanks for the info ...

3 AE
02-03-11, 06:34
Fitting the shotgun while squared up to the target is no different than fitting an AR while squared up to the target. Face your target, feet shoulder width apart or so.If your shooting right handed, have your left foot 6" to 8" forward. Weight balanced on the balls of your feet.Knees slightly bent.Your shoulders slightly ahead of your hips. It reminded me of the basic stance when I wrestled in high school. You have good pivotal motion and vision from side to side. Your in position to absorb recoil without coming out of balance. You can probably go with a shorter stock. The 12" LOP stocks I saw being used were Hogue Overmolded stocks.I didn't hear any complaints. We were also taught to use a slightly different grip on the buttstock. The thumb on the grip hand was not wrapped over the top of the grip but rather up along the side.Kept it from impacting your nose! Ask around if you can use someone's shotgun that has a short stock. If a 13'LOP is a little short,use the shim kit. Clothing worn depending on season and shooting/tactical vests will alter fit to some degree. Or sign up for a shotgun specific course with what you have and you'll probably get a chance to try different LOP's.Then make the choice that best suits you.