PDA

View Full Version : new 45

steve m
01-29-11, 14:22
I am looking for help( not personal Bias) in deciding which 45 to get. This pistol will be used for carry, range and competion. I would like to hear recommendations, I do not want a 1911, nothing against them, just not my cup or tea. Right now my EDC is a glock 19. I have no problems with the 9mm, I just came into some money and would like a 45. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

F-Trooper05
01-29-11, 14:34
My choice would be either the HK45C or the M&P45. I'd personally lean more to the HK45C, but I'd feel pretty confident with either.

steve m
01-29-11, 14:39
How easy it it to get extra magazines and holsters for the HK 45C, Todd G just did a test with a HK45 pretty impressive.

Kevin P
01-29-11, 14:51
What do you wanna spend? Do you want a striker gun or Da/Sa?

For me, money was not really a concern. I wanted a ultra reliable and accurate gun with a great track record. I have a HK45c and it has been flawless and is very accurate. I have converted my trigger to the LEM trigger. I also wanted a hammer fired gun.

Alot of others here like the m&p, with good reason. The m&p would of been my second choice, as it is another quality gun.

Even though I have the Hk45c and can't say enough good things about it, I think a glock 21sf or m&p would be a better choice for you since you are coming from a glock 19 already. The only thing with the glock 21sf is its size, since you will carry it. It would be an easier transition IMO.

All are quality guns, handle and shoot whatever you are thinking about getting.

Kevin P
01-29-11, 14:59
How easy it it to get extra magazines and holsters for the HK 45C, Todd G just did a test with a HK45 pretty impressive.

Magazines and holsters are no problem to obtain. I am waiting on a Raven Phantom and Milt Sparks vm-II. These two holsters IMO are some of the best kydex and leather holsters. You will have to wait though, which is not a problem for me. You will hear some people complain about price and parts availability. In my opinion you pay for what you get and I have never had a problem with obtaining parts,even though I have never needed any. There are a few secondary parts vendors.

steve m
01-29-11, 14:59
Thanks for the help, i was leaning towards either the hk, or m&p.

willowofwisp
01-29-11, 15:08
m&p .45 mid-size....heres a pic to help persuade you!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5247/5333674249_d45e780e5f_z.jpg

kjdoski
01-29-11, 15:22
The M&P Mid-size is almost exactly the same dimensions of your G19, so if you like that size/weight, it might be a good choice.

Or, you could go for the G21SF (or hold fire a month or two and get the new Gen4 G21). It would offer nearly the same capacity as your G19, and soft recoil. The issue with most shooters is the size of the pistol - it is, quite literally, a handful, and, for me, the width of the slide is actually somewhat distracting - kind of like looking downrange over the deck of an aircraft carrier...

The HK45 will likely be most accurate (inherently), but is a lot more expensive, and has a trigger that will be significantly different from your current carry pistol - meaning you'll need to devote more time to one or the other to get truly good with either.

I've also heard good things about the FN 45s, though I've never shot one myself...

Regards,

Kevin

Longhorn
01-29-11, 15:47
Being your EDC is a G19, I'd lean towards the G21 in whatever flavor you want - SF, Gen4, Gen3 etc.

It might be as new/cool as the HK45 or M&P but the fact that the trigger wont be "different", you can set up the sights identically, and have the same grip angle and overall point-ability means there will be some commonality which may help your competing and EDC practice.

Not that the HK45, M&P or even the FN line aren't good choices, just thinking that you "play like you practice" why not streamline the situation and make it the same platform...

R3V3LATIONS
01-29-11, 16:12
Id go with the M&P,
the hk45C is a great gun, but it would be even better if they had left two things alone : the sights and the trigger. The trigger is atrocious on a DA pull. The other reason Im not a fan is b/c of the chargable sights...I prefer tritium but thats me. These are things that are both a.) already hashed out and that im not looking to start a debate on, just for OP info
and
b.) on a 800+ dollar gun with 30-40 dollar magezines, the sights and the pull should not be an issue.

Now im no M&P Fan either, the stryker on those is good only for about 70k dry fires. On the polymer frames, Im a bit myopic toward Glocks. Easy, always go Bang!, and there is an armorer around every corner, that can do almost anything that would ever need to be done to it with one tool that glock sells.
just my .02, hope this helps

brutus895
01-29-11, 16:21
I've owned both, sold the HK and have two of the M&P 45c. The HK was nice, but I prefered the M&P.

Both M&Ps have the Apex carry package installed and have upgraded sights. Gun isn't perfect stock, but can easily be upgraded to your liking. Not so easy to do with the HK.

HK makes great guns, but I just like the M&P better. For what it's worth, I'm also a big fan of the G19. Both guns are similar in size.

Striker
01-29-11, 16:26
Being your EDC is a G19, I'd lean towards the G21 in whatever flavor you want - SF, Gen4, Gen3 etc.

It might be as new/cool as the HK45 or M&P but the fact that the trigger wont be "different", you can set up the sights identically, and have the same grip angle and overall point-ability means there will be some commonality which may help your competing and EDC practice.

Not that the HK45, M&P or even the FN line aren't good choices, just thinking that you "play like you practice" why not streamline the situation and make it the same platform...

Yeah, you do already know Glock, why not stay with what you know. If you haven't tried the 21sf, give it a run. They're more accurate than most people give them credit for and handle really well. HK 45 is time proven, basically an update on the USP with better ergos and the same reliability, durability and accuracy. The M&P I shot was accurate, but had a horrible trigger on it, easily fixable by sending it away Bowie etc. Not sure about durability as I've never owned one and I haven't seen any reliability tests on them. They might exist, I just haven't seen any. I would shoot all three pistols fairly extensively, then decide.

300WM
01-29-11, 16:33
I wish I would have taken the time to look at the HK 45 (full size) before I purchased the G21 (not the SF), or a 1911 for that matter.

eternal24k
01-29-11, 16:41
If you already own and shoot a Glock 19, I would say G21SF to keep a standard in arms/platform. I went through the same thing, ergonomically I liked the M&P a little better, but I knew Glocks inside and out and decided to stick with the platform.

PdxMotoxer
01-29-11, 16:44
I would say for the money I would go with the M&P 45
Then still have enough left over for trigger job of you're choice.

Their CS is awesome IF you ever need it and can't beat the lifetime warranty.

d90king
01-29-11, 16:44
Both the Hk and the M&P are excellent options for a plastic .45. Both IMHO have lousy triggers from the factory but that can be remedied fairly easily. They wont be a Glock trigger but they will be more than adequate. You will also need to change the sights on the Hk but you have to do that on a Glock anyway...

The other poster also made a very good point in regards to another Glock so that your manual of arms remain unchanged. I still prefer the other choices in .45 but its a valid point. I shoot multiple platform (1911's Glocks HkP30) and dont find the transition to be difficult, but if you dont get to shoot a lot I could see it being more of an issue...

Good luck with whatever you choose.

TheSmiter1
01-29-11, 16:48
Not sure about durability as I've never owned one and I haven't seen any reliability tests on them. They might exist, I just haven't seen any. I would shoot all three pistols fairly extensively, then decide.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/998

You can read all the updates; that is just a final summary. It's the 9mm, though.

RetiredCO
01-29-11, 17:14
JMO and nothing else
Just got an HK 45
Very accurate or I should say I like my results from me shooting it.
JMO the trigger is not that bad in single action better than I expected coming from only shooting 1911's.
I now have a new respect for plastic pistols and I am not easy in my being happy in guns I buy.
Many are happy with results they get at 21 or 30 feet in what a hangun will do.
I shoot at 25 meters most of all my range time so I always seem to get Gov, all steel 1911's and bomb away.
The HK 45 is not a 1911 but for my needs in a pistol which are
Reliable
Accurate 10 shot groups at 25 yards
Feel of the pistol
HK 45 was money well spent.

CobraBG
01-29-11, 19:01
I like my G21SF :cool: I have a G30SF and a couple of 1911's and I've never shot an HK or M&P, but I do like the G21SF.

ralph
01-29-11, 19:08
I have a Midsize M&P .45, it's been an excellant pistol very accurate, and very reliable, I installed a Apex DCAEK and got a pretty good trigger,and a set of Heinie "ledge" straight 8's. If I had a HK45 ( I'd love to own one,I'd go with a HK45c)I would seriously consider a LEM trigger, change a couple springs and make it a "light" LEM and that would also address the HK45's heavy DA trigger.That and some Heinie straight 8's. Either pistol would perform well, Both are known for accuracy and reliabilty, Really, I'd try them both if you can, The only difference besides one being DA/SA and the other striker fired, is price.. That, and I believe the HK45c holds 8rnds to the M&P's (full & midsize 10) Honestly, you could'nt go wrong with either..

SHIVAN
01-29-11, 19:14
I am a 1911 guy, and tried the M&P45 and HK45. I stuck to 1911 for 45, but would recommend the H&K over the M&P, by the slimmest of preference margins.

TAZ
01-29-11, 22:18
Beg, borrow and rent as many units as you can get your hands on and pick the one you shoot best.

The ones mentioned already are all good guns and will serve you well. You just need to find the one that fits you.

Paul45
01-30-11, 08:20
If you like the size, manual of arms and the functionality of your G19, I would suggest looking into a G30SF. About the same size as the G19, .45 acp, 10+1, and you are familiar with how it functions and how to maintain it. I have 2 G30's, very accurate. I am leaving to shoot a GSSF match with one of them in about 10 minutes.

DHart
01-30-11, 23:57
M&P45 or HK45, neither is a bad choice, though it would be nice to have more capacity in a full size gun.

You have a great Glock... not a bad idea to stay with Glocks. They're awesome defense guns.

If you're not in a rush, I would try to be patient and wait for the G21 Gen 4! Should be available before long.

I think it's going to be an awesome, high capacity (14-rounds) .45, even if nothing changes but a move to the Gen 4 grip.

The G30 is a wonderful compact 11-shot .45 as well.

DocGKR
01-31-11, 00:51
M&P45 mid-size w/Apex Duty Kit. This will be very similar in size to your G19, as noted in the photos below.

M&P45 mid-size compared to a G19:
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7068&filename=G19_M&P45mid.jpg

Here is a G19 on top of a M&P45 mid-size:
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7069&filename=G19%20on%20M&P45mid.jpg

DHart
01-31-11, 01:18
M&P45 mid-size w/Apex Duty Kit. This will be very similar in size to your G19, as noted in the photos below.

Here is a G19 on top of a M&P45 mid-size:
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7069&filename=G19%20on%20M&P45mid.jpg

Looks like that G19 was "hot" during the photo session!

G30SF is another consideration, 10+1 capacity, similar size as the G19 but a bit thicker (as the M&P would be as well).

Since he's shooting a G19 now (great choice), probably best to stick with consistent platform (Glocks) for uniformity of trigger, operation, maintenance, etc?

Or.... be patient for a G30 Gen 4, perhaps!

TheSmiter1
01-31-11, 02:46
Looks like that G19 was "hot" during the photo session!

G30SF is another consideration, 10+1 capacity, similar size as the G19 but a bit thicker (as the M&P would be as well).

Since he's shooting a G19 now (great choice), probably best to stick with consistent platform (Glocks) for uniformity of trigger, operation, maintenance, etc?

Or.... be patient for a G30 Gen 4, perhaps!

In terms of operation, the M&P and Glock are very similar. In terms of maintenance, the G19 and G30 use entirely different parts, for the most part.

And is the M&P trigger really so bad that it's impossible to train on Glocks and M&Ps?

HK45/45c or M&P45/45c would be my choices.

DHart
01-31-11, 03:01
In terms of operation, the M&P and Glock are very similar. Yes.

In terms of maintenance, the G19 and G30 use entirely different parts, for the most part. Yes, but the G19 and G30 are identical for ease of maintenance and complete tear down vs. the M&P or other platform which are different and can be much more difficult for complete tear down.

And is the M&P trigger really so bad that it's impossible to train on Glocks and M&Ps?

No, I have and shoot both Glocks and M&Ps, reasonably well I believe. You can get a pretty nice trigger with them both. But the trigger operation and feel between the two is typically quite different, especially with regard to reset.

Some would argue with good merit, however, that it is best to focus one's time, attentions, and skills on a single pistol, if not at least on a single family of pistols rather than spread themselves out thinly across multiple different pistol types. Especially if one wishes to maximize skills for use under pressure. Of course, it all depends on one's individual wishes and firearms objectives. Not everyone is training to be the finest-tuned combat expert possible. But if you are, focusing on a single pistol, a single carbine, and a single shotgun makes very good sense. And if your work or activities tend to send you into harm's way often, with a relatively high possibility of needing to engage armed opponents, then focusing your efforts on the fewest weapon systems necessary is wise.

"Beware the man who's mastered one gun." ;)

steve m
01-31-11, 09:29
Thanks to all for the help, I humbly decided to get another 19 to accompany the one ive got. I came to this answer after researching a thread on having more than one gun the exact same. Thanks to all for the help. Now to save on some ameriglo pro glo sights.

Beat Trash
01-31-11, 09:57
Thanks to all for the help, I humbly decided to get another 19 to accompany the one ive got. I came to this answer after researching a thread on having more than one gun the exact same. Thanks to all for the help. Now to save on some ameriglo pro glo sights.

Not a bad idea....

Watrdawg
01-31-11, 10:15
I've owned a G21 and liked it a lot but ended up selling it. I have small hands and didn't like the fit of the gun in my hand. I now have a M&P 45 Midsize and love the feel of it. I also had the Apex DCAEK and Warrent Sights installed on it. The weapon just feels good in my hand. Trigger is very nice with the Apex kit and it is plenty accurate. The only reason I don't own a Glock 21 is I don't like the feel of it in my hand. Other than that there is no reason not to own either.

steve m
01-31-11, 10:23
Local Gun shop has a new Gen3 glock 19, they are holding it for me, till i pick it up later today. Thanks to all for the help. In the end it was the thread about having two of the same gun. Same holster, mags, manual of arms, etc.

dirt_diver
01-31-11, 10:50
Maybe send it off to Boresight or Bowie for some grip work, etc to differentiate it from it's counterpart?

dirt_diver
01-31-11, 11:27
Maybe send it off to Boresight or Bowie for some grip work, etc to differentiate it from it's counterpart?

DocGKR
01-31-11, 12:08
steve m: You have learned and made a wise choice. Well done!

DHart
01-31-11, 15:31
steve m.... I know you want to scratch that .45acp itch and I don't blame you, .45acp is my favorite pistol caliber for a lot of reasons.

If I were you, I'd keep focusing on the G19 as you have decided to do, and after the G21 Gen 4 and G30 Gen 4 guns have been out for a while, check them out.

After handling the other Gen 4 grips, I think the Gen 4 .45's are going to become extremely popular guns... and one of them would probably make a great .45 for you, and still within the familiar Glock platform. As much as I like my G30 and G21SF, I'm really looking forward to the Gen 4 .45's with great anticipation myself.

steve m
02-01-11, 11:51
I just picked up my new Gen 3 glock 19 and have it set up like my other one. Vickers extended mag release, smooth trigger assembly from glock 17 and have ordered another set of ameriglo pro-glo sights. The sights work for me. Thanks again to all for help and assisitance. For some reason when I put the smooth trigger in the 19, the trigger smoothed out so much so that I had to check the connector to see if glock had messed up and put a 3 1/2 lb in it. All in all im happy and still trying to master one platform as many people have suggested before I attempt to move on to another.

davebee456
02-01-11, 12:53
If its for Carry,Range Toy and Competition..
I think The Hk45C is the best option

You can find a barely used one for $850. or a new on for around $975.
ROG and Fist INC make some great holsters for it.

8 Rounds, Smaller than a Commander Size 1911, Weighs like a Glock and even more reliable than a Glock Or M&P.

KSmedman
02-01-11, 14:35
Beg, borrow and rent as many units as you can get your hands on and pick the one you shoot best.

The ones mentioned already are all good guns and will serve you well. You just need to find the one that fits you.

This.
I am a 1911 guy, but when I wanted to get something different for carry (mainly wanted higher capacity) I shot the M&P, G21 and 30, the FNP and the Springfield XD.
Ended up getting the XD45 tactical. I liked that I can carry 13+1 and the trigger was better than the M&P. The FN was nice, but twice the price of the XD and not twice the gun.

PdxMotoxer
02-01-11, 16:16
Great choice (even though i'm a M&P guy)

But HUGE thanks for coming back and letting us know what you chose.

MANY ask "what do you guy's think i should get, or ask questions"
then never return or at least take the time to post and let everyone
know what they chose.

steve m
02-02-11, 08:32
Put on an old set of Heinie Slant Pros, while waiting for new sights to come in. In the end it came down to I have 9mm ammo to practice with and already set up for glock wiht holsters etc. Great pistol goes good with my other glocks.

steve m
02-02-11, 08:36
In the end it came down to i've got 9mm ammo to practice with and the accessories already. I've put on an old set of Heinie Slant Pros, until i get some Ameriglo pro glo sights.