PDA

View Full Version : Building Upper question

Pappabear
01-29-11, 16:19
I bought a 12.5 barrel, what upper receiver would you get? I saw brownells had the Colts for $210. Will these be the dark black and will match per se the colt 6940 lower. Any feedback on a gas block?

I am open to any ideas? I have always bought complete lowers or uppers. Any thoughts appreciated.

Iraqgunz
01-29-11, 16:54
I highly recommend the BCM uppers. I have built several AR's with them and they are GTG.

I sent you an email.

I bought a 12.5 barrel, what upper receiver would you get? I saw brownells had the Colts for $210. Will these be the dark black and will match per se the colt 6940 lower. Any feedback on a gas block?

I am open to any ideas? I have always bought complete lowers or uppers. Any thoughts appreciated.

Molon
01-29-11, 18:02
I saw brownells had the Colts for $210. Will these be the dark black and will match per se the colt 6940 lower.

The pic below shows a recent build using a Colt upper receiver purchased from Brownells, on a Colt lower.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/pxsfpz4vbc.jpg

MookNW
01-29-11, 18:39
I purchased the BCM no logo upper w/ m4 ramps for my last upper build. Mated to my 6940 lower, it was great. The finish was almost identical to the Colt upper I was replacing.
I wanted to go the Colt upper route, but figured that since I wasn't using a Colt bbl, there was no reason to try and find a $200 upper rec for the sake of keepin things matching. I spent the money I saved on a battlecomp and have no regrets. No noticeable fit difference either.

GhostB14
01-29-11, 19:36
I'm not an expert at all, I just built my first upper with a DD. The quality looks good to my eyes and fit with all of my other components was great. I used a VLTOR set-screw gas block and again I am very pleased. I did how ever have a friend(machinist) dimple the barrel for the set-screws to ensure fit and durability. The color of my upper is nicely black under natural light, but looks blueish/purpleish under certain artificial lights.

Russ D
01-30-11, 22:01
I gave up trying to match colors. Sometimes even the same manufacturer parts do not match in color.