PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23

kaltblitz
01-29-11, 17:34
Glocks in 40 S&W have had a fairly bad rap since their inception; however, they have still managed to capture a huge share of the market. Most carry of the negative commentary on the 40 S&W Glocks has been in regards to the Glock 22.

Who here carries a Glock 23?

What are generation?

What role did you (do you) use it in?

What holster did (do you) use?

What has been you experience with it?

Oscar 319
01-29-11, 18:01
-I do.

-Generation 2.

-Concealed carry (on and off duty), plain cothes or "soft uniform".

-Comp-Tac Minitour and Safariland 6378 (ALS).

-It hates 165 grain and lighter bullets. It runs like a top with 180 grn (issued) ammo. It is brutal on spent cases. I shoot very well with it.

Tomahawk_Ghost
01-29-11, 18:40
Here's a little reading on the matter.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

My three favorite carry guns are the Glock 22, 27 and a Kahr PM9. The Glock 22 I've had since 94. AZ Expert Arms did a grip reduction on it 10 years ago. It's accurate and I haven't had any problems from it in several thousand rounds.

If you want a 23 AimSurplus.com has a good selection of police trade ins.

Quiet-Matt
01-29-11, 19:20
Who here carries a Glock 23? I do.

What are generation? Gen 3

What role did you (do you) use it in? EDC and IDPA

What holster did (do you) use? EDC-IWB, IDPA-Serpa

What has been you experience with it? Has perfomed well, accurate, the only issues have been with some crappy reloads.

Randyc74
01-29-11, 19:51
What are generation? Gen 2

What role did you (do you) use it in? This has been my EDC duty pistol since 1997. I carried a wheelgun before that.
What holster did (do you) use? At work (soft clothes) I carry in a Blackhawk Serpa. Off duty, I carry in wither a Bulldog "Mike" or a Bulldog Summer Special/
What has been you experience with it? After upteen thousands of rounds, it always launches bullets. If I didn't reload, I could never afford those thousands of rounds. If I could only keep one of my pistols, this would be the one
Randy

awm14hp
01-29-11, 19:58
Love the 23 and 22 for all the bad rap they get I have had some flawless 40 Cals for almost 10 years now I got gen 2 22 and 23 they have been rode hard and put away wet but keep going

RPD03
01-29-11, 21:31
I carrry a G23 (Gen 3) as my off duty/plain clothes sidearm and have yet to have any problems with it. Hoslter is a High Noon "Topless" which has served me well. Not nearly as many rounds through it as my G22 but I have never had any stoppages with it.

M4arc
01-29-11, 21:41
My G23 runs like a top and shoots great. I don't carry it everyday but when I do carry it she rides in either a Milt Sparks VMII or a Raven Phantom.

xray 99
01-29-11, 22:07
Glocks in 40 S&W have had a fairly bad rap since their inception; however, they have still managed to capture a huge share of the market. Most carry of the negative commentary on the 40 S&W Glocks has been in regards to the Glock 22.

What are generation?

What role did you (do you) use it in?

What holster did (do you) use?

What has been you experience with it?

I carried a Gen 3 G23 for roughly 2 years in my capacity as a probation/parole officer. I had carried a G19 for 12 years and found the G23 recoil to be quite snappy, as did others who transitioned from a 9mm. I carried it in a snap-on pancake and found it to be 100% reliable in the short time I carried it.

DocBach
01-29-11, 22:11
Who here carries a Glock 23? Me

What are generation? 3rd

What role did you (do you) use it in? concealed carry on my property

What holster did (do you) use? Blackhawk SERPA

What has been you experience with it? Only have fired Winchester 180gr out of it, but have had no problems with it. POI is a couple inches high. No malfunctions yet, have fired approx 300 rds from it.

JB326
01-29-11, 22:21
I carry a Gen 3 G23 every single day in my assignment as a plain clothes narcotics investigator and it is what I carry off duty as well. It wears a Surefire X300 and is carried in a Trojan Tactical Scabbard LB. If if weren't for the fact that 100% of my unit and 99% of my agency carries a 40, I'd be carrying a 19 instead though (department policy dictates Glocks and caliber choice is 9mm or 40, no 45's). I personally just like 9mm's (and 45's) moreso than I like a 40. Other than personal preference, my 23 has been 100% reliable withholding a handful of magazine issues.
My liking of the 23 has been a long road though. For patrol and tac team duties, I carry a 35, and I am a pretty consistent 96-100 shooter on our state qual course with the 35. With the 23 though, I was averaging more in the 90-94 range, which for me is unacceptable. To make a long story short, I determined that the 23 just didn't fit me very well. But I solved that problem with a belt sander, a box of files, and my soldering iron. The last time I shot a qual with the 23, I shot a 100. I've been excessively pleased ever since.

Here are a few pics of what happened after a couple of hours of custom fitting:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x212/shooter_john/087.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x212/shooter_john/085.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x212/shooter_john/086.jpg

If anyone is interested in what/ why I had to fit on the pistol, feel free to PM or email me... I don't want to hijack the thread.

Roy
01-30-11, 04:28
Gen 3 23
On duty carried it in a Safariland 6280 with surefie x300
Off Duty its new role Desanties Speed Scabbard/ Raven Concealment Phantom or Phantom LC with Surefire

Trijicons /NY1 Trigger / Surefire X300 are the only mods

I had one of the lucky ones that Cracked the frame after a few thousand rounds. once that got fixed it has ran well since.

This was my first handgun purchase over 10 years ago.. i still love it

durus5995
01-30-11, 07:22
I carry carry a 3rd Gen Glock 23 with a TLR-1 Stream light in a Raven holster set up for IWB. This is my every day carry and the only mod I have made was I just installed a Grip Force grip on it so I could cut down on the slide bite that I keep getting from time to time.

AKJD375
01-30-11, 22:46
Who here carries a Glock 23? I carry a 22 on duty, a 23 off duty.

What are generation? 3rd

What role did you (do you) use it in? Concealed carry.

What holster did (do you) use? Tucker "The Answer" IWB

What has been you experience with it? I put Trijicon night sights on it. My duty 22 has Glock night sights which I do not like as much as the Trijicons.The 23 is reliable, shoots as good as the 22. Its light, easy to conceal, I don't even know its there most of the time.

akviper
01-30-11, 22:59
I carried a Glock 23 for about four or five years for police duty and off duty. It's currently my travel gun as I wouldn't feel the loss of it as much as a more expensive handguns if stolen or used to save a life.

I originally had a Gen II but traded for a Gen III. I decided I wanted the finger grooves.

I used a Safari 6520 for uniform and the concealed version or a Kramer belt scabbard for off duty/plain clothes.

I put several thousand rounds of all types and weights through the latter gun with no malfunctions except for two dud training rounds. No fault of the guns. The pistol was carried in the rain and snow and shows a little edge wear and is on it's second set of night sights. The department armorer tuned it up a few times during it's life time with springs, etc. I recently replaced it for winter carry with an S&W mid size 45.

ST911
01-31-11, 00:00
Glocks in 40 S&W have had a fairly bad rap since their inception;

No, they really haven't. It wasn't until the frame revisions in the third generation that certain issues were reported. While there are some to contemplate, they have been over-extrapolated to the 40SW Glocks as a whole.

Here. Issued an early FG/R, carry and prefer the non-FG/R, especially the transitional with reinforced rail. Used in LE and CCW, carried in a 6280 SLS and Holster Plus Sure-Lock III. Performance has been bet-your-life reliable, both in the early FG/R and non-FG/R.

DHart
01-31-11, 01:34
I had a G23 for a couple of years and loved the form factor (think G19!) and the capacity/potency. I used a G22 mag when around the house for 15+1 and G23 mag when carrying for 13+1. Great gun. Unfortunately, I just did not enjoy shooting it and for that reason I decided to move my .40 shooting to M&P40C and M&P40, which shoot softer and much more enjoyably for me.

That said, I love Glock nines and forty-fives and my G19, G17 RTF, G26, G30, and G21SF are mainstay defense pistols for home and carry for me. Just couldn't enjoy shooting the G23, dang it. That could be a different story for me with the G23 Gen 4, however, if the dual recoil spring softens the feel a bit vs. the Gen 3. I'm just not ready to jump into a G23 Gen 4 quite yet, though, I want to let some time play out first.