PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Devices... Required(16"+) and relation to accuracy?

ColtJ
01-29-11, 22:44
Hey guys,

I notice all AR's have some sort of muzzle device, whether a flash hider, muzzle break, suppressor or compensator. What if I don't want/need one?

I understand a flash hider or some sort of muzzle device is required on a 14.5" barrel to make it equal 16" or else it's considered NFA.

What about 16"+ barrels are they required by law?

How do they effect accuracy? Do they even have a relation to accuracy (when installed correctly)? I can't seem to find a direct answer on this.

Thanks for reading.

ALCOAR
01-29-11, 23:17
If I am following your question correctly...a barrel over 16" in length is not required to have a muzzle device which is a brake, comp, or f/h by any laws.

The short answer to your question in regards to whether or not a muzzle device can affect accuracy is yes, however when it does occur it's negligible most of the time and goes more than likely unnoticed by the end user.

F/H's will generally not affect the accuracy in a detrimental manner, its the brakes and comps that open the door to potential accuracy loss.

Belmont31R
01-29-11, 23:30
I would not worry about it. Just don't put a huge amount of torque on the muzzle device during install. Both the Accuracy Intl and Sako TRG come with a threaded barrel and they both shoot lights out.

RyanB
01-29-11, 23:35
AI indexes with a screw instead of against the shoulder so you can't overtorque them.

On hunting/sporting arms I like a flash suppressor to protect the muzzle.

10mmAuto
01-30-11, 00:07
+1 on muzzle devices offering protection to the crown
I will probably get one on my FNAR because I'm terrified of my one precision item getting a damaged crown because it is a workhorse and not a safe queen.

ucrt
01-30-11, 00:16
Hey guys,

I notice all AR's have some sort of muzzle device, whether a flash hider, muzzle break, suppressor or compensator. What if I don't want/need one?

I understand a flash hider or some sort of muzzle device is required on a 14.5" barrel to make it equal 16" or else it's considered NFA.

What about 16"+ barrels are they required by law?

How do they effect accuracy? Do they even have a relation to accuracy (when installed correctly)? I can't seem to find a direct answer on this.

Thanks for reading.

=============================

At 16"+, flash hiders are not required by law but if you've ever seen the grapefruit-sized fireball "flash" out the end of a barrel without a FH...you'll want one. It is hard to believe such a little short piece of steel can get rid of that fire ball.

From what I understand, they will all affect accuracy if you do not clean them from time to time.

Russ D
01-31-11, 21:01
The most important thing is that if you have a threaded muzzle, whatever is against the crown needs to be square. Improperly installed muzzle devices can have very negative effects on accuracy.

ColtJ
01-31-11, 21:40
Thanks for the responses, pretty much answered the question exactly.

FH it is. :D

Iraqgunz
01-31-11, 22:04
I highly recommend Battle Comps for overall use.

*This is a non attorney endorsement and I am not compensated by Battle Comp or it's officers or agents*.

Thanks for the responses, pretty much answered the question exactly.

FH it is. :D

Cvolin85
02-01-11, 00:06
I highly recommend Battle Comps for overall use.

*This is a non attorney endorsement and I am not compensated by Battle Comp or it's officers or agents*.

Ha ha ha well spoken. I love Battle Comps too:D

Dirtyboy333
02-01-11, 04:38
im goin with the PWS556 for my current build....Their not known for any significant accuracy loss are they??? What would be an advantage of buying a Battle Comp over a PWS??? Thanks

TOM1911
02-01-11, 08:40
Elevated sound signature and concussive side blast are the biggest negatives the PWS brakes have. Battlecomps accomplish the same objective without increasing these symptoms inherent in side-baffle brakes.

Dirtyboy333
02-01-11, 13:13
oh ok, thanks Tom.....I have been told they are loud but i didnt know if it was true but u just confirmed it...

Jimston
02-02-11, 09:06
oh ok, thanks Tom.....I have been told they are loud but i didnt know if it was true but u just confirmed it...

I do not own any AR15's with 16" barrels, but i do own a Colt MT6601 (20" HBAR) that came with a factory comp.

It is loud as hell and often pisses people off at the range. I often think about removing it, but it may be permanently attached.

Some people enjoy being blasted by the gases, but others do not.

Very few people want to be next to me while I'm shooting.

boltcatch
02-02-11, 13:27
One thing I like about my Ops Inc brake is that as long as I'm not shooting indoors, it doesn't sound any louder to *me* than a flash hider.

People on either side aren't nearly as thrilled with it, though. :p