PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Optics Question

BikerRN
01-30-11, 02:39
Howdy all.

I'm in need of some advice, and figured this would be the likely place to get the straight story.

I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. I grew up shooting rifles and shotguns left handed, but actually work them better from my right side. I was playing around with my red dot scope on a rifle today and found that if I turned my head a little to the right I could line my left eye up with the forward mounted red dot.

Now my question is, given that the 5.56 has minimal recoil, if I were to mount a red dot on a harder recoiling rifle, like a .308, in the forward position, would it be feasible to shoot it right handed but using my left eye as my dominant eye?

I'm wondering if the harder recoil would preclude shooting right handed? Any thoughts on this?

I can't seem to make this work with a traditional scope mount, or peep sights, but the scout set-up seems like it would accomodate this rather well. What say you all?

My plan, if this will work, is to sight the iron sights in for left handed shooting and then zero the red dot for right handed shooting. I'll test it next week with my AR and 10/22, but would like to have input from the members here as well.

Thank you all. Take care and stay safe,

Biker

pjchang7
01-30-11, 11:00
I'm not sure how to answer this but this guy on youtube talks about it a little.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sXsK9ZQsWE

shootist~
01-30-11, 13:16
This may be a lot more than what you were interested in.

I have about 40 yeas shooting experience in the eye dominance thing and feel your pain (I'm 61). Except for a few futile attempts on the skeet range, I strictly shoot RH with left eye dominance. There is no free brunch, and what works for one person may not be the best solution for others. You will have to experiment and find what works best for you.

Once upon a time there were custom stocks available with an offset comb that allowed the offside eye proper alignment with the sights. I never tried them, but to attempt such - especially under stress - with a conventional stock (IMO) would be a pissing in the wind moment.

What works for me:

Red Dots:
CQB range: With an Aimpoint Micro mounted just in front of the rear irons, I can shoot two-eyes-open and keep full peripheral vision. At longer ranges I will involuntarily squint my left (dominate) eye. So be it.

Try moving the RD way back and see if it does anything for you.

1-4 optics (with seemingly true 1x):
At 1x on a newish PST 1-4 I can shoot two eyes open really well at close range (10 Yds was tested in an extended range session). This is a new twist *for me*. At any magnification (even 1.25x), I'm screwed and have to squint.

I strongly favor the 1-4 variable over the RD right now for range use, but I'm as yet undecided on what's best *for me* for low light HD use. I know that if I revert to squinting in a full pucker mode situation, the 1-4 has twice the field of view as the Micro. On the other hand the illumination on the RD is less distracting in low light if cranked up too high.

Shotgun:
I made A Class NSCA (sporting clays) in two years using what worked *for me* shooting registered skeet. I shoot two eyes open with a small oblong patch on the left lens of my shooting glasses. The patch blocks my view down the barrel allowing the right eye to be fully open. It's oblong so I cannot see over it during a high overhead shot.

Pistol:
From the strong side I have to squint. From the weak side it's natural to switch and use my left eye. (I'm better than the average bear from the weak side.)

I'm pretty competitive for an old fart at 3 Gun and various other venues and still have fun. Having fun while getting some serious trigger time is what it's all about, IMO.

BikerRN
01-30-11, 23:50
Thank you shootist.

I'm thinking that if I turn my head just a bit and seeing as how I bring my scope to the head and not the bring your head to the scope method I think this may work for me in limited applications.

I'm going to try it with my 10/22 and see what happens. If it's good I'll attempt it on my AR. If that works, then I'll try it on my Ruger Scout. I'd really like to be able to shoot my Scout right handed, but don't have the ability to close my left eye, and don't want to wear a patch, as that wouldn't be practical when hunting, nor if using the AR in a defensive mode.

You've given me much to consider, and I appreciate it, thank you.

Biker