PDA

View Full Version : Improvised Weaponry

wes007
01-30-11, 13:47
How important do you feel this subject matter is and why?

Dionysusigma
02-07-11, 18:39
Very.

I'm reminded of the story of two Marines in boot camp who were in a sandpit, and a single, unloaded M60 between them. The instructor said the first person to grab a weapon and ready it got to choose how many one-armed push-ups the other would have to do. At the word go, one guy dove for the MG, and before he could even grab the charging handle, the DI blew his whistle and declared the other Marine the winner--clenching a handful of sand, ready to throw.

A gun in the other room is immediately trumped by the lamp sitting next to you if something bad happens and you have only an instant to react.

Or did you mean another kind of improvised weapon?

HES
02-07-11, 22:42
A personal experience. My office is in my home. In the office is my desk and a desk for my wife. My best friend is a deputy and works my area. He has a habit of coming into the house like Cosmo Kramer. Its about 10pm at night. I hear the front door open and the alarm does its chime. I call out to him and there is no response.

The "Oh shit" runs through my mind about the same time it does my wife. My pistol is in the other room. I looked for the best weapon available to me and I grabbed..a roll of floor plans that were tightly bound.

With my wife behind me to get the kids I come running around the corner with my best war scream, plans in hand in an effort to ram the bad guy in the torso and I find that I am confronting...

My 3 year old daughter who is sleep walking.

She apparently opened and then closed the door with out going through it. Poor thing, I shocked her out of her sleep walking state with my screaming and she voided her bladder on the spot and began to cry. So did I and we cuddled long into the night.

The point is similar to the above..be aware of your environment; there is almost always some sort of weapon at hand and it some is better than none.

Lincoln7
02-07-11, 22:59
Very.

I'm reminded of the story of two Marines in boot camp who were in a sandpit, and a single, unloaded M60 between them. The instructor said the first person to grab a weapon and ready it got to choose how many one-armed push-ups the other would have to do. At the word go, one guy dove for the MG, and before he could even grab the charging handle, the DI blew his whistle and declared the other Marine the winner--clenching a handful of sand, ready to throw.

A gun in the other room is immediately trumped by the lamp sitting next to you if something bad happens and you have only an instant to react.

Or did you mean another kind of improvised weapon?
I think you just opened up my eyes a little. I normally think of improvised weapons as something I can make a knife/shiv/bat out of. Think outside the box, use your surroundings. Thanks

MeanRider
02-08-11, 09:03
I always tthink how I can throw my tv remote if someone were to come through my front door. to buy some tim to get to something else.