PDA

View Full Version : Failure to cycle.........

JMEL
01-30-11, 15:30
Ok here's the run down on my build. It started as a 16" carbine which I switched over to a mid length MOE hand guard and a mid length gas tube. I then simply moved the gas block forward and put everything back together the way I felt it should be. Obvious problem is the gun won't cycle. Fires great and is dead on with my iron sights. Problem 2 is after just about each shot the hand guards were popping out of the delta ring. I'm thinking and this is just a new guys guess that i don't have the gas tube back far enough or the Hot Shot Ammo I got yesterday is crap??

Any thoughts here?

JMEL

Joeywhat
01-30-11, 15:34
Did you change the barrel as well?

You can't just move the gas block to a different place on the barrel and be setup with a different gas system...have to drill a new gas port in the barrel, plug the old hole. How is the gas going to enter the gas block if there's no hole in the barrel?

The handguards blowing off after each shot should've been a clue....

JMEL
01-30-11, 15:47
Like I said new to this whole thing. I just took a peek at things and just noticed the hole in the barrel. That was something I over looked big time. The barrel doesn't change in size so how hard are we talking to re do and plug the old hole? Or should I just go back to the carbine length gear? By the way it's about 28 degrees out so I have gloves on, other wise i would have felt the gas blast right away.

Jason

CaptainDooley
01-30-11, 15:49
Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Really?

I'd just go back to carbine length. If you really want a midlength, get a new barrel or barreled upper.

3 AE
01-30-11, 16:05
Could you post pictures of your build as you progressed through the various steps to upgrade from carbine length to mid-length gas system? I am considering doing the same to my Colt 6920. Good luck on your project.

Ash Hess
01-30-11, 16:07
Dont feel bad. You are not the first to overlook this. Take some more time, do some more research.
Put everything back to carbine and you will have a running gun. Then go Shoot the crap out of it.

Iraqgunz
01-30-11, 16:13
This is a perfect example of why people should not dick around and modify their weapons UNLESS THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

To the OP. I am not trying to knock you, just using this as an example. You need to know how the weapon works and what you are doing.

If you truly want a midlength you will also need a midlength barrel. I do not think that you are technically proficient enough to change the barrel which means someone will need to do it for you.

JMEL
01-30-11, 16:16
I swapped it all back over to the carbine gear. Just need to get an MOE hand guard in FDE. Using the stock hand guard for now.

Thanks for getting a new guy fixed up guys. Much appreciated.

JMEL

JMEL
01-30-11, 16:21
Could you post pictures of your build as you progressed through the various steps to upgrade from carbine length to mid-length gas system? I am considering doing the same to my Colt 6920. Good luck on your project.

As posted in this thread it can really only be done with a new mid length barrel. And yes I agree I'm not near that level yet. I'll keep buying uppers assembled. I do think I could get it done though if need be. I'm new to this which doesn't mean I'm an idiot. It was just one minor thing I over looked in my research. I'm a 15 year autobody repair tech and grew up with a father who was a mechanic as well. I can pretty much figure out anything mechanical.

And no offense was taken, although dicking with these guns is what's all about and if your like me it's the way you learn. Don't be quite so harsh on new guys with out us this would die off..............

JMEL

JMEL
01-30-11, 17:09
Advertising is not allowed here. Please do so in the appropriate area when you are eligible.

JMEL

Redhat
01-30-11, 17:23
Glad you got it rectified. Consider what could have happened if your hand was placed over the open hole?

Bimmer
01-30-11, 21:02
Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

+1

And what Iraqgunz said about people not messing with things they don't understand.

I'm embarrassed for you.

JMEL
01-30-11, 22:54
Glad you got it rectified. Consider what could have happened if your hand was placed over the open hole?

My hand was over the open hole with a glove on and I never felt a thing other than the HG's coming loose. No big deal.

JMEL

JMEL
01-30-11, 23:03
+1

And what Iraqgunz said about people not messing with things they don't understand.

I'm embarrassed for you.

Your embarrassed for me? WTF your the D bag with a BMW logo for an avatar on an M4 forum. I and I'm sure a lot of others here are embarrassed for you. GFYS jackass!! At least I was man enough to admit I had an issue. I don't need some BMW loving Jerk Off that probably doesn't know shit to start with anyways telling me that "he's embarrassed for me". Take your euro shit and shove it up your euro loving ass and if you need help I have an AR15 that now cycles that I would love to shove right where the sun don't shine sweet heart!!

with lots of love................

JMEL

Iraqgunz
01-30-11, 23:14
Since this thread has degraded significantly it is being closed. The OP understands what happened and learned from his mistake.