PDA

View Full Version : transponders in handguns?

brushy bill
01-30-11, 19:24
Maybe it's my aluminum foil hat, but does anyone else find it spooky that certain communities in the EU require transponders in handguns (maybe long arms too as far as I know)? Hopefully would never happen here, but with current administration posturing for a new push on gun control one never knows...to the uninformed, this could appear imminently "reasonable".

Was blissfully unaware until I looked at this on the S&W homepage...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/other/PPQ_USA_Manual.pdf

JR TACTICAL
01-30-11, 19:34
wow!, thats crazy bro, I hope that does not take effect here in the states but if they are already making pistols with that built in I would say its not looking good, lets all keep our fingers crossed

Heavy Metal
01-30-11, 19:43
I would say this is an RFID type system made to quickly scan them in and out of an Armory, not to keep 24/7 tabs on them. That would be impractical due to power limitations.

Vlobb
01-30-11, 19:43
RFID tags are already in/on pistols in the US. They aren't used to track your every moment or listen to your inner thoughts.

Run a google search on RFID Tags and do some reading.

Hmac
01-30-11, 19:59
I agree that current use is likely limited to inventory management, but note that RFID chips have many uses, even though their max range is measured in feet. For one thing, stores, bars, or other establishments could put in weapons detectors that wouldn't require an expensive metal detector with its high rate of false positives. If an active and updated roster of legal vs stolen vs police firearms were kept, the system could, relatively cheaply, pull down a lot of data about that particular firearm. Without getting my tinfoil hat too wrinkled, I could easily see those and similar plans in Europe, and maybe ultimately in the US too. Someday.

brushy bill
01-30-11, 20:09
RFID tags are already in/on pistols in the US. They aren't used to track your every moment or listen to your inner thoughts.

Run a google search on RFID Tags and do some reading.

Here you go genius: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification

Do some reading yourself...maybe the part that says:

Privacy advocates have protested against implantable RFID chips, warning of potential abuse and denouncing these types of RFID devices as "spychips", and that use by governments could lead to an increased loss of civil liberties and would lend itself too easily to abuse. One such case of this abuse would be in the microchip's dual use as a tracking device. Such concerns were justified in the United States, when the FBI program COINTELPRO was revealed to have tracked the activities of high profile political activist and dissident figures. There is also the possibility that the chip's information will be available to those other than governments, such as private business, thus giving employers highly personal information about employees. In addition, privacy advocates state that the information contained in this chip could easily be stolen, so that storing anything private in it would be to risk identity theft.

This isn't meant to say this will happen, but given an option of transponder or no transponder, I'll go with the latter...your mileage may vary.

Littlelebowski
01-30-11, 20:21
Do you have a coherent argument?

John_Wayne777
01-30-11, 20:30
Here you go genius:

This isn't the kind of behavior we want on M4C.