PDA

View Full Version : Vltor MUR

Pappabear
01-30-11, 19:28
Im working on an upper build, was looking at the Vltor MUR, just to check out something different, anyone checked these out. Good , bad , Ugly?

Are they quality stuff?
Any negatives?

pb

Hmac
01-30-11, 20:15
Extremely high quality. A really excellent forged upper. I have a VIS on my Noveske and it is very well made. Not sure if it's worth the money, but no doubting its quality and definitely makes a statement in a spare-no-expense rifle build.

I've been waiting for more Noveske matched upper/lower combos to become available again for another build, but it's not looking good. I'm thinking I might go with a MUR on a Noveske lower, even though the combo would come at about a $75 premium.

jaxman7
01-30-11, 20:53
If its got the word vltor etched on it the product is good stuff. Plus, every time I've spoken with them they are great to deal with. I've had a MUR and loved it. Honestly it was bought b/c I knew vltor makes quality parts and I wanted something different looking. You possibly could get just a smidge better accuracy from a MUR b/c of the extra rigidity (that's just theoretical so add in the grain of salt factor) but that would be with the intention needing 'extreme' accuracy. Something I don't need. If you've got an extra $200 bucks to burn buy with confidence.

-Jax

500grains
01-30-11, 21:02
I have one vltor mur upper and it looks really cool! However, I am hoping that it contributes to accuracy through greater rigidity, and theoretically it will, but I can't prove that one way or the other.

Pappabear
01-31-11, 00:05
Did any of you guys roll with the Vltor low profile gas block?

500grains
01-31-11, 00:31
not me

jaxman7
01-31-11, 03:24
Me neither bud.

jaxman7
01-31-11, 03:27
What's your question on their block? Maybe someone can chime in.

-Jax

Hmac
01-31-11, 04:09
Did any of you guys roll with the Vltor low profile gas block?

I did. Bought it from Rainier and had them pin it to an 11.5 BCM barrel I used on an SBR. Fit nicely under the DD 9 inch Lite rail I also bought from them.

techvt
01-31-11, 07:07
Im running the mur and went with the Vltor stainless low pro gas block because of my stainless barrel. Just used the set screws but did get the BRDE dimpling tool to add a second dimple to the BCM barrel. Fit and finish are perfect.

pleaforwar
01-31-11, 12:12
I am running the VLTOR MUR and their gasblock on one of my midlengths. It has 3000+ rounds through two courses without a rifle induced malfunction (a couple magazine and ammo caused malfunctions).

Gunpowder
01-31-11, 13:14
I have the MUR without the forward assist and their low profile clamp on gas block on a 6.5 Grendel. I am pleased with both products.

The upper has a great fit with my Spikes lower. Neither have given me any problems, nor do I expect them to. The question is, is it better than a standard upper. While Vltor's reputation leads me to believe it's better I think my gun would work just as well if I had a BCM upper receiver.

I say if you have the coin and like the look go for it, if your short on cash get the standard receiver. I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference.

Pappabear
01-31-11, 13:32
I did. Bought it from Rainier and had them pin it to an 11.5 BCM barrel I used on an SBR. Fit nicely under the DD 9 inch Lite rail I also bought from them.

Jax, thanks for the help too. This is where I was going. Did you go set screw or clamp. I have the BCM 12.5 barrel. I want the black one.
Set Screw or clamp? Whats the preference?
.750 or .625 Bore?

Here is the list:
Vltor MUR
BCM 12.5 Standard barrel
DD 9.0 Omega Lite for mid lengths
Vltor gas block
AAC Brakeout
Troy sights

What else does a brother need ? Lotta good help here thanks men!

Pappabear
01-31-11, 13:33
Im running the mur and went with the Vltor stainless low pro gas block because of my stainless barrel. Just used the set screws but did get the BRDE dimpling tool to add a second dimple to the BCM barrel. Fit and finish are perfect.

Techvt, Any reason you used set screws?

tsohg79
01-31-11, 14:58
My MUR is great!

Hmac
01-31-11, 15:29
Jax, thanks for the help too. This is where I was going. Did you go set screw or clamp. I have the BCM 12.5 barrel. I want the black one.
Set Screw or clamp? Whats the preference?
.750 or .625 Bore?

The BCM barrels use a 2 inch .750 diameter, so either a gas block or FSB will work just fine. The barrel comes with one dimple for the rear set screw. I didn't want the thing to come loose under the rail and it was only $30, so I had Rainier pin it. It was money well-spent for peace of mind.

ribeyejonson
02-01-11, 15:41
Vltor MUR = good shit, would def buy again.

kwelz
02-01-11, 18:09
I don't have a MUR. But I do have a VIS. Pretty much impossible to beat.

Pappabear
02-01-11, 19:29
Im feelin some love for Vltor. Thats cool. Lookin forward to this build.

Russ D
02-01-11, 20:57
Vltor IMHO makes top notch stuff. I also only run pinned gas blocks in my serious use Ar's. Spend the extra coin to get the block pinned.