PDA

View Full Version : Seeking current status of FAMS and SIG P250

oldtexan
01-30-11, 20:52
I'm trying to find out the current status of the SIG P250 and its fielding to the Federal Air Marshal Service. Last report here I remember was from last summer or fall, IIRC. Have they been fielded fully, partially fielded, withdrawn from service, on hold, or something else?

I've seen conflicting reports on the status of this fielding at various errornet sites. I understand that we have some guys here, unlike many other sites, who can speak with authority on this issue.

Please note that I'm not thinking of buying a P250, so there is no need to convince me of the P250's merits or lack thereof; just trying to stay informed.

Mods, if this thread endangers FAMS OPSEC, please feel free to delete it.

Thanks in advance.

John_Wayne777
01-30-11, 21:59
The P250 was pulled from service and they now sit in a warehouse collecting dust. The FAMS were burned pretty good by the P250...and it wouldn't surprise me to see litigation against Sig result from the ordeal.

Keep in mind that most people who talk about how agency X or Y is doing with a particular weapon system are doing so with no relevant knowledge and sources of information that are dubious at best.

There is a link to the P250 horror show thread in the tacked Handgun Information thread at the top of the forum. Included in that thread is a link to a GAO document that hints at the magnitude of the P250's failure in BATFE testing:

http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/4023393.htm

Robb Jensen
01-30-11, 22:13
All's P250s are back at SIG-Sauer. For sidearms they are back to using guns which actually work which are their old but reliable P229s and P239s amoung other sources and methods.

ToyCop
01-30-11, 22:18
The P250 was pulled from service and they now sit in a warehouse collecting dust. The FAMS were burned pretty good by the P250...and it wouldn't surprise me to see litigation against Sig result from the ordeal.

Keep in mind that most people who talk about how agency X or Y is doing with a particular weapon system are doing so with no relevant knowledge and sources of information that are dubious at best.

There is a link to the P250 horror show thread in the tacked Handgun Information thread at the top of the forum. Included in that thread is a link to a GAO document that hints at the magnitude of the P250's failure in BATFE testing:

Correct. Another familiar person I see here.

TheSmiter1
01-30-11, 22:48
"Sig Sauer also contends that ATF placed too great an emphasis upon reliability in determining which offers should continue to phase III."

This is directly from the decision that JW777 posted. Good Lord...

John_Wayne777
01-31-11, 06:35
Correct. Another familiar person I see here.

Welcome!

oldtexan
01-31-11, 08:44

JW, thanks much. Exactly what I was looking for.

oldtexan
01-31-11, 08:45
All's P250s are back at SIG-Sauer. For sidearms they are back to using guns which actually work which are their old but reliable P229s and P239s amoung other sources and methods.

Robb, thanks.

Sry0fcr
01-31-11, 08:49
JW, thanks much. Exactly what I was looking for.

+1, I was looking for that link, it may help someone I know from spending actual money on one of these things...