View Full Version : Words I hate

RAM Engineer
01-31-11, 01:14
Bushy (Bushmaster)
Dissy (dissipator)
Middy (midlength)
Shottie (shotgun)
Peak (misspelling of "pique")

What mutilations of the English language annoy you?

dennisuello
01-31-11, 01:25
Just to add to your list

Recce

Americans are getting way too lazy, we can't say the whole word? Or as I suspect, we don't know how to pronounce/spell those longer words.

Same applies to cars.

Rubi, as in Jeep Rubicon
Pathy, as in Nissan Pathfinder
Etc...

variablebinary
01-31-11, 01:35
Latin.

Use of Latin stinks of pseudo intellectualism. Bugs the living shit out of out me and I don't know why.

citizensoldier16
01-31-11, 02:00
Anything a teenager would put in a text message. Also same when used in general conversation.

BrianS
01-31-11, 02:17
Anything a teenager would put in a text message. Also same when used in general conversation.

Yep. For example I once heard somebody say LOL in a conversation, pronouncing it "lawl" and I wanted to bitchslap him.

Americans are getting way too lazy, we can't say the whole word? Or as I suspect, we don't know how to pronounce/spell those longer words.

I recently saw an ad that was talking about Atrial Fibrillation and saying "or afib" for short.

If you have something seriously wrong with your heart you ought to know the proper name of the disease you will probably die from.

Hmac
01-31-11, 03:43
"Loose"instead of "lose", as in "poor grammar and poor spelling make me loose hope for the intellect of future generations".

I recently saw an ad that was talking about Atrial Fibrillation and saying "or afib" for short.

If you have something seriously wrong with your heart you ought to know the proper name of the disease you will probably die from.

Atrial fibrillation is almost universally referred to as "a-fib" by medical people and has been for more than 100 years. It's a very common heart condition and it would be very rare that someone would ever die from it.

V-fib, on the other hand, definitely tends to be a pre-terminal event.

Army Chief
01-31-11, 05:35
Things We Say Wrong. (http://www.whatyououghttoknow.com/show/2008/02/27/things-we-say-wrong/)

Don't necessarily disagree with Dennis, but I probably wouldn't add "Recce" to the list, as it is simply the British variation of "Recon," and use of the term dates from at least 1940 -- if not earlier.

AC

Suwannee Tim
01-31-11, 05:35
Latin.

Use of Latin stinks of pseudo intellectualism. Bugs the living shit out of out me and I don't know why.

I agree on the Latin but I love to use French terms like les goûts et les couleurs ne se discutent pase (http://frenchfinest.wordpress.com/2011/01/27/les-gouts-et-les-couleurs-ne-se-discutent-pas/). I am a longtime reader of National Review and they habitually used such phrases which drove my to distraction because I didn't know what they meant and could not conveniently find out. With the internet that is no longer a problem, just search them. It's even easier if I give you a nice link. I think they are fun. I try to improve my language skills and this is just a part of it. For the record, I am not a pseudo intellectual, I am just a high-tone redneck. Though I do have a PHD. That's right. Suwannee Tim has a PHD. A Paxon Highschool Diploma.

Suwannee Tim
01-31-11, 05:37
One thing that gripes me is folks that make no effort to spell, punctuate and capitalize. This shows respect for the reader and makes reading easier. I generally won't read posts that are not spelled, punctuated and capitalized.

I dislike the "Mossy", "Remmy" and "shotty" stuff but if you complain that just encourages them. In a perfect world everyone would do as I told them. I don't expect that to happen soon enough so I work on not being bothered by such.

One thing that bothers me a lot more is people holding forth when they know little or nothing about the subject.

Army Chief
01-31-11, 06:28
Latin.

This has got to be some kind of contextual thing. I find Latin useful on admittedly-few occasions, but would rather see people elevated to a point where they are familiar with some basic Latin expressions and phrases than dumbed-down to the point where we lose contact with the language altogether. You still tend to see a lot of it in the military on distinctive unit insignia and such, and as long as it serves a purpose, I find it an appropriate connection to our cultural lineage.

Definitely with you on the arrogance that is all-too-often brought to the table, though. Some people embrace Latin with all of the elegance of lipstick on a sow, but then, intelligence-for-show is always bloated and pretentious, whether it happens to involve the use/misuse of Latin or something else entirely.

AC

RAM Engineer
01-31-11, 07:13
I took two years of Latin in high school. People always say to me: "That must have really helped your English vocabulary".

To which I reply: "No, my english vocabulary helped me with my Latin."

What a worthless class...

Littlelebowski
01-31-11, 07:43
"sheeple"

Mac5.56
01-31-11, 07:44
"Loose"instead of "lose", as in "poor grammar and poor spelling make me loose hope for the intellect of future generations".

"grammar", and "spelling"

As in, people who think grammar and spelling ability are the only signs of human intelligence.

I would love to see what Einstein's posts would have looked like if they had web forums back in the day. I can picture it now: "Einstein, your full of shit bro, you can't even spell Atom, It's "atom" not "adam", go to hell dude, your an idiot, we're going to work on this equation without you!!!"
:D

sandman99and9
01-31-11, 08:10
"sheeple"

Hahahaha, makes me chuckle when I hear it.

Bangstick/Boomstick/Blaster
"clip" instead of magazine
"axe" you a question
"Fo-tay" glock
"I have an Idear" American Chopper, Paul Sr. grrrrrrrr, drives me nuts

Just about anything being spouted in GD over on TOS

I forgot where I saw it but it was a fantastic sig line.
something like this,

Better to remain silent and have people question your intelligence than to speak and remove all doubt.

S.M.

Armati
01-31-11, 08:12
Pique is French in origin and pronounced 'peek'.

Cashe - also French and pronounced 'cash' as in 'Johnny' or 'cold hard'. Not, 'cash-eh'.

Stella Artois - Belgian (they speak French), pronounced 'ar-twa' as in the three-way fun fest by the same name 'menage a trois'. It is not A-torres.

Before Freedom Fries and the general red-necking of America is was considered classy to have some understand of French.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-31-11, 08:56
Hate

:)

THCDDM4
01-31-11, 09:02
-I can't stand when affect and effect are interchanged and used incorrectly.

-I hate when people say "I could care less" when they really mean to say "I COULDN"T care less".

-The whole "WTF", "OMG", "LOL", "ROLMFAO" thing pisses me the **** off. A big "SMD" to all you pricks!

-My old Texan Roomate from college used to say "Let's go get some lick" meaning liquor and it always eerked me. I did laugh everytime he said "Dang-o" though, and adapted it to my vocabulary as well.

I agree the bushy, dissy, middy, shottie, fo-tay. 9 mili shit gets old.

Oh and the next time someone refers to their guitar as an "Axe", I'm going to take it outside and try to chop a tree down with it. I play and prefer "guitbox", or "twang slut".

lethal dose
01-31-11, 09:08
i hate when people say strength "strenth".
i hate when people say coupon "coopon".
i hate when people say root, smooth, poop, goop, or anything with a double "o" and make it sound like the double "o" in "foot".
and other things of that sort... they may be right, i don't know. doesn't change the fact that it makes me red in the face.

jklaughrey
01-31-11, 09:18
She teaches English and she really hates when I revert to street slang and Ebonics for certain things, let alone the use of my bastardized LA Mexican slang.

As far as speech is concerned I just hate words used that are over accentuated. Then the addition of tonal nuance and inflection when unneeded is horrifying. You know the speech I refer...Flaming Gay man speech. It is fake. Men don't grow up speaking this way. So why the act?

TY44934
01-31-11, 09:30
Just to add to your list

Recce

Same applies to cars.

Rubi, as in Jeep Rubicon
Pathy, as in Nissan Pathfinder
Etc...

'stang for Ford Mustang

P-cola for Pensicola, Florida

'frisco for San Francisco

I hate any "druggie" slang -especially when gun owners use such slang. E.g.:

-got a little stash of . . .

-scored some . . .

-get happy on the . . .

And I really hate the term "busted my cherry on . . ."

Did I mention that I grew up in the 1970s? (and I really hate what happened to the USA during the 1960s and 70s). Many of the terms I hate became popular during the 1970s.

Suwannee Tim
01-31-11, 10:26

As in, people who think grammar and spelling ability are the only signs of human intelligence........

I work on my grammar and spelling for no reason than to get better at writing. If you are going to do something, why not try to improve? When you are trying to evaluate someone based on very limited information you will use what you have and on the internet, grammar and spelling are obvious measures. You may not like it but it is a fact. People also react to your clothing, cleanliness, fitness. Instead of bemoaning facts of life it might be more productive to adjust to them.

Mac5.56
01-31-11, 10:32
Instead of bemoaning facts of life it might be more productive to adjust to them.

I've been published, I adjusted by having an editor. But thanks for the pep talk...;)

Mac5.56
01-31-11, 10:40
In regards to spoken words, and word use though:

I really hate when people from the East Coast pronounce Oregon: oar-ah-gone. It's where my wife is from, and I lived there for 5 years. We have literally had people say: Oh you mean oar-ah-gone, when they ask her where she is from. Ugh.

Also when T.V. shows, and people say "shell casings", it's redundant. They are bullet shells, or bullet casings. Not both.

Army Chief
01-31-11, 10:42
Well, since we appear to be going "all in," I've been known to grind the occasional axe over use of the term "Black Rifle Disease" (BRD); as if an appreciation or interest in these defensive tools is to be equated with some kind of moral or physical defect, affliction or ailment.

Just don't care for the connotation, whether it is intended in jest or not. We're already a "fringe element" in the eyes of too many, and it seems to me that the whole BRD thing sends just exactly the wrong message.

AC

rat31465
01-31-11, 11:15
Prepper- instead of Disaster Preparation.
Gun Nut/Clinger- instead of Firearms enthusist.
Red Neck- instead of hard working American.
Cracker- instead of Caucasian.
and an endless lst of text abbreviations.

ucrt
01-31-11, 11:20

I never complained about pronunciations because if I did, I would not be able to talk with anyone around here. I'm from the other side of Louisiana, where the cajun influence is less pronounced and moved here about 5-years ago. I learn a new "word" everyday.

I've got a guy that works for me that plays on the ignorant "coon-ass" mentality but when he sends an e-mail or writes a report the grammar and spelling is perfect...he just can't talk it.

Language from around here:
tump - that is some kind of a past tense of tip. He tumped the boat over.
oyyul - oil
caught a flat - He drove over the board with nails in it and "caught a flat". You can also "catch a heart attack" if you aren't careful...
jeetyet - Did you eat yet?
deers - more than one deer
fishes - more than one fish
Wal-Marks - Wal-Marts
and the list goes on...

VooDoo6Actual
01-31-11, 11:40
WHATEVER would be one for me.

120mm
01-31-11, 11:47

Cashe - also French and pronounced 'cash' as in 'Johnny' or 'cold hard'. Not, 'cash-eh'.

Stella Artois - Belgian (they speak French), pronounced 'ar-twa' as in the three-way fun fest by the same name 'menage a trois'. It is not A-torres.

Before Freedom Fries and the general red-necking of America is was considered classy to have some understand of French.

Mkay; No such thing as "Cashe". It's either Cache, or Cachet. Cache is somewhere you hide something. Also can be used as a verb. Pronounced like kash. Cachet has to do with one's reputation, and IS pronounced Kashay.

The word I hate more than anything else is "POG". It's "Pogue", you ignorant red-neck ****ing children. It has a multi-hundred year history and just because you are illiterate grunts doesn't make it okay to hijack the word.

Same thing with "hooah". Hooah is ****ing gay, and the sound that braincells make when they die. At least the Marines' "Oorah" has a history and actually means something.

Orientate. This word sickitates me. It's "orient".

Buck
01-31-11, 11:54
Latin.

QED ;)

B

Redhat
01-31-11, 12:17
Orientate. This word sickitates me. It's "orient".

This one! I've even seen it in formal Power Point briefs!

Mac5.56
01-31-11, 13:30

Second that. The number of times I hear "educated" hipsters, and diversity nuts use this word a day is insane. I grew up in a trailer park, and I'm proud of it, as am I my ability to work hard, and get shit done.

kal
01-31-11, 13:41
SHTF

used in a sentence...

"What's a good gun for SHTF?

it's not one word but oh well....

ALCOAR
01-31-11, 14:25
"Mil-Spec"

"Battle Rifle"...that one is my pet peeve

01-31-11, 14:29
With a mother that was an English professor I was forced to learn proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. The problems some have with "orient" didn't sit right so I looked it up in the American Heritage Dictionary(the ONLY dictionary according to my mother:rolleyes:)

orient-1. To locate or place in a particular relation to the points of the compass. 2. To align of position with respect to a to a reference system. 3. To discover the bearings of.

Make anyone feel better?

One phrase I am beginning to dislike since I've heard it fifty times in every training class is "good to go." I'm just waiting for someone to say "G2G." Then I'll LMAO while keeping muzzle discipline on my boomstick that's good for when SHTF, mkay?

ThirdWatcher
01-31-11, 14:36
Yep, "orientate" (when they mean "orient") and "irregardness" are minor irritants to me... also posts that are one LARGE paragraph.

Spiffums
01-31-11, 14:59
Operator........... unless you work for the phone company at the switch board................

Oscar 319
01-31-11, 15:08
Zombies.

RAM Engineer
01-31-11, 15:12
"Just sayin'..."

Well, YES, you did just say that!

Hmac
01-31-11, 15:15

As in, people who think grammar and spelling ability are the only signs of human intelligence.

Not the only signs, just the most important ones. You might be the most brilliant mind on the planet, but if you can't communicate coherently no one will ever know it, nor believe it, nor care.

Fuzzy writing, fuzzy spelling, fuzzy grammar are likely signs of fuzzy thinking.

IMHO, of course ;)

kartoffel
01-31-11, 15:22

I never complained about pronunciations because if I did, I would not be able to talk with anyone around here. I'm from the other side of Louisiana, where the cajun influence is less pronounced and moved here about 5-years ago. I learn a new "word" everyday.

I've got a guy that works for me that plays on the ignorant "coon-ass" mentality but when he sends an e-mail or writes a report the grammar and spelling is perfect...he just can't talk it.

Language from around here:
tump - that is some kind of a past tense of tip. He tumped the boat over.
oyyul - oil
caught a flat - He drove over the board with nails in it and "caught a flat". You can also "catch a heart attack" if you aren't careful...
jeetyet - Did you eat yet?
deers - more than one deer
fishes - more than one fish
Wal-Marks - Wal-Marts
and the list goes on...

Those are pretty good ones. I used to live in East Texas, me. Picked up a couple of phrases here and there.

speed up the TV - increase the volume on the televsion
neutral rats - nutria, big muskrat/beaver looking critters
opelousas catfish - flathead catfish
scuppadines - wild grapes
pass da broom - sweep up

VooDoo6Actual
01-31-11, 15:36
QED ;)

B

That was well played and FUNNY !

DaBears_85
01-31-11, 15:47
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/

czydj
01-31-11, 16:07
Hate

:)

Yep, that's it.

chadbag
01-31-11, 17:47
Oh and the next time someone refers to their guitar as an "Axe"

That is long long long time musician slang and does not only refer to a guitar. A trombone player's axe is his trombone.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-31-11, 18:03

Cache :p

sadmin
01-31-11, 18:17
It irks me when people say disconcerning instead of disconcerting.
Disconcerning is not a recognized word as highlighted by the large squiggly red line underneath it as I type.

Suwannee Tim
01-31-11, 18:18
Prepper- instead of Disaster Preparation.
Gun Nut/Clinger- instead of Firearms enthusist.
Cracker- instead of Caucasian.
and an endless lst of text abbreviations.

As a credentialed Gun Nut Cracker Red Neck, I resemble that remark.

..... you ignorant red-neck ****ing children.......

C'mon 120, don't be so bashful. Tell us what you think!

QED ;)

B

If any of you have a login with Sigforum.com, search for Q.E.D. and see what you find.

1911pro
01-31-11, 18:25
I just read that said Sarah Palin was the "stupidest" person in the world. :rolleyes:

DaBears_85
01-31-11, 18:41
Q.E.D. as in 'quod erat demonstrandum'? I'm assuming we're referring to people who use it as meaning 'quite easily done'?

Suwannee Tim
01-31-11, 19:01
Q.E.D. as in 'quod erat demonstrandum'? I'm assuming we're referring to people who use it as meaning 'quite easily done'?

Quite Easily Done is a new one on me. Q.E.D. means "quod erat demonstrandum" or "that which I said I would prove, I have proven".

DaBears_85
01-31-11, 19:18
It's literal translation is, 'that which can be demonstrated'. If my memory serves me correctly, it's a term often used in mathematics. People often use it (incorrectly mind you) as meaning, 'quite easily done'. I was asking if that's what they were referring to, or if they were referencing something else that I am not familiar with.

Suwannee Tim
01-31-11, 19:22
Q.E.D. marks the end of a mathematical or philosophical proof. I sometimes use it when I have induced someone to prove they are an idiot.

orionz06
01-31-11, 19:32

I mix and match this at times to screw with people, based on the forum.

One phrase I am beginning to dislike since I've heard it fifty times in every training class is "good to go." I'm just waiting for someone to say "G2G." Then I'll LMAO while keeping muzzle discipline on my boomstick that's good for when SHTF, mkay?
Likewise, google "RTT CQB Man", he does a good job. The issue is it is a common phrase that is simple and easily understood.

Quiet-Matt
01-31-11, 19:58
"tactical", everything is tactical these days:rolleyes:

chadbag
01-31-11, 22:16
How about

sell/sale

I see "sale" used for "sell" all the time.

Like, "do you want to sale that to me?" etc.

Mac5.56
01-31-11, 22:32
Not the only signs, just the most important ones. You might be the most brilliant mind on the planet, but if you can't communicate coherently no one will ever know it, nor believe it, nor care.

Fuzzy writing, fuzzy spelling, fuzzy grammar are likely signs of fuzzy thinking.

IMHO, of course ;)

liKe, i, Said... nO atom bomB... Oh, shit, my socks don't match either, guess I suck.

Just saying ;)

(if you don't get the joke, sorry)

500grains
01-31-11, 22:36
words I hate to hear:

welfare
section 8 housing
affirmative action
WIC
Medicaid
OSHA
United States Department of Education
TSA
"Janet" when combined with "Napolitano"
deficit
entitlement
right wing nut job
birther
truther
African-American
union
Department of Labor
bailout

Mac5.56
01-31-11, 22:37
Using an acronym to challenge people's intelligence is pretty lame Suwannee Tim. You better put on your PPE for when SHTF and be GTG for when someone is like WTF, and goes click click bang... :rolleyes:

DaBears_85
01-31-11, 22:39
words I hate to hear:

welfare
section 8 housing
affirmative action
WIC
Medicaid
OSHA
United States Department of Education
TSA
"Janet" when combined with "Napolitano"
deficit
entitlement
right wing nut job
birther
truther
African-American

African-American?

Hmac
01-31-11, 22:39
liKe, i, Said... nO aDam bomB... Oh, shit, my socks don't match either, guess I suck.

Just saying ;)

Like it or not, people will judge you by the clothes you wear, the tatoos on your body, the piercings on your face, and your grammar.

Just sayin'...

500grains
01-31-11, 22:41
PPE = condom?

J_B
01-31-11, 22:42
Fif

Ax

Skin-ed

Mac5.56
01-31-11, 22:48
Like it or not, people will judge you by the clothes you wear, the tatoos on your body, the piercings on your face, and your grammar.

Just sayin'...

Your point is absolutely null and void given the context of what I'm talking about. You could be the most average person on the planet, and the most judgemental, and it wont change the simple fact that there are people much smarter then you that can't spell for a shit, and actually do things of value on this planet beyond buying too many consumer goods and having a four car garage... ;) In fact it was only relatively recently that people decided it was important to attempt codifying the English language. Before this happened it was completely phonetic.

Oh, and people also tend to judge regarding the lack of tattoos, in ability to think outside the box, and basic plain appearance of individuals as well. ;)

Congrats on your high scores in High School English though. I will let my dyslexic sister at Harvard Medical know not to share any of the medicine she is producing with you or yours since she can't spell for shit. Her occasional disheveled appearance, visible counter culture life style, and inability to type on internet forums mean you wouldn't want to talk with her anyway.

Mac5.56
01-31-11, 22:50
PPE = condom?

For this discussion, and his reasoning, that's perfect. He better have a kevlar one though.

Hmac
01-31-11, 22:55
Your point is absolutely null and void given the context of what I'm talking about. You could be the most average person on the planet, and the most judgemental, and it wont change the simple fact that there are people much smarter then you that can't spell for a shit, and actually do things of value on this planet beyond buying too many consumer goods and having a four car garage... ;) In fact it was only relatively recently that people decided it was important to attempt codifying the English language. Before this happened it was completely phonetic.

Oh, and people also tend to judge regarding the lack of tattoos, in ability to think outside the box, and basic plain appearance of individuals as well. ;)

Congrats on your high scores in High School English though. I will let my dyslexic sister at Harvard Medical know not to share any of the medicine she is producing with you or yours since she can't spell for shit. Her occasional disheveled appearance, visible counter culture life style, and inability to type on internet forums mean you wouldn't want to talk with her anyway.

LOL. Touchy touchy. Struck a nerve, huh...?

Cool story though, bro. The dyslexic sister at Harvard Medical School was a nice touch.

Magic_Salad0892
02-01-11, 03:25
''African American'' -

I hate that most people who say this, are closet racists in my experience, and only say it because they're afraid that saying ''black people'' would get them beat up.

''Operator''

''Gunfighter''

Racial slurs

''Stupider''

''Right wing nut''

''You people.''

''Clips.''

I hate you if you say ''clip'' in place of ''magazine.''

''Silencers.''

''Faggots''

On par with racial slurs.

''Nailed''

...I don't know why but it strikes me as something a douchebag would say.

Anything Dane Cook has ever, or will ever say.

Ever...

120mm
02-01-11, 03:27

Cool story though, bro. The dyslexic sister at Harvard Medical School was a nice touch.

Yeah, sound like someone's butt was definitely hurt.

99% of so-called "brilliant" people who are "counter-culture" are dumber than ****ing dogshit. And are just cattle following a particularly stupid and uncreative herd.

Same thing with pot-smokers. They only seem to be creative and brilliant their own narcissistic idiot selves and to other moronic weed smokers.

Magic_Salad0892
02-01-11, 03:39
Same thing with pot-smokers. They only seem to be creative and brilliant their own narcissistic idiot selves and to other moronic weed smokers.

People who smoke pot and think they're cool are on par with Dane Cook, and people who watch Girls Gone Wild on my ''Avoid that person at all costs'' AKA ''That Guy'' list.

MarkG
02-01-11, 03:51
Y'all...

There is no plural "you" in the English language.

Palmguy
02-01-11, 06:18
There sure as hell is in the south.

mnoe82
02-01-11, 06:33
There sure as hell is in the south.

Amen to that.

Y'all is part of the Southern dialect.

I would never call a sub sandwich a "grinder" or call a Coke a "pop" but that doesn't mean they're not words.

02-01-11, 08:12
Y'all is a term I grew up with in the South. And this edumacated southern boy will continue to use it. No matter where in the world I am, if I hear "y'all" I immediately know I might have a kindred spirit. Also, it was a great pickup line while single and in a non-southern state or out of the country. "How y'all doing?" "Where are you from?" "Let me buy you a drink and tell you." Y'all got me into many panties.

mnoe82- Go Vols!

jaxman7
02-01-11, 09:15
I love my state (w/Alabama a close second) and the usage of the word Coke has always fascinated me....."What kind of Coke would you like? I'll take a Root Beer." That's just the way it is and I'm not arguing. Besides, I can't stand the word pop!;)

-Jax

Amen to that.

Y'all is part of the Southern dialect.

I would never call a sub sandwich a "grinder" or call a Coke a "pop" but that doesn't mean they're not words.

LHS
02-01-11, 09:18
I hate when people don't know the difference between "your" and "you're", as well as the difference between "their", "there" and "they're". And for some reasons, I get annoyed when folks don't know when to put an apostrophe in "its" or "it's". If it's a contraction, use the apostrophe. If it is a possessive pronoun, don't.

kal
02-01-11, 12:23
Y'all...

you + all = y'all

ucrt
02-01-11, 12:45
Y'all...

===================================

My Yankee uncles always made fun of us saying "y'all".
They'd say, "Man! You's guys really butcher the English language!" :rolleyes:

THCDDM4
02-01-11, 12:45
That is long long long time musician slang and does not only refer to a guitar. A trombone player's axe is his trombone.

Yep, well aware dude. Since the Saxophone was the first musical instrument that had the "Axe" nomenclature applied; and seeing as how I play both the guitar and saxophone, I choose to call my saxophone an "axe" and not my guitar. Personal preference. My guitar is my "Twangslut"; because she loves it when I twang the shit out of her.

This thread is "words you hate" not which words make sense contextually Vs. which do not.

Jerm
02-01-11, 12:50
I hate when people whine incessantly like a bunch of catty women about their petty dislikes.

I'm pretty sure there's a comma or two missing above... I hope that gets somones panties twisted. It'd be great if I could get a psych profile based on it as well. :rolleyes:

THCDDM4
02-01-11, 13:12
Deleted

chadbag
02-01-11, 13:17
Y'all...

Sure there is

It is "you"

imagine that.

In older english it was "ye" for plural and "thou" for singular "you." That gradually fell by the wayside and we adopted "you" for both.

DaBears_85
02-01-11, 14:16
I hate when people whine incessantly like a bunch of catty women about their petty dislikes.

I'm pretty sure there's a comma or two missing above... I hope that gets somones panties twisted. It'd be great if I could get a psych profile based on it as well. :rolleyes:

Nope, no commas missing...

THCDDM4
02-01-11, 14:28

So why then did you join and "whine incessantly like a catty woman" about your "petty dislike"?

I believe theres a word for that...

Jerm
02-01-11, 14:32
Nope, no commas missing...

That must be a first then. :)

So why then did you join and "whine incessantly like a catty woman" about your "petty dislike"?

I believe theres a word for that...

One which I'm sure would bug the shit out of someone.

DaBears_85
02-01-11, 14:41
That must be a first then. :)

We all gotta start somewhere, right? :D

Mac5.56
02-01-11, 15:28

Hate is a strong word. This thread is about words you hate, I put that out there. Yea you struck a nerve, but I was exhausted and ready for bed.

As for the sister, she's very real... ;)

99% of so-called "brilliant" people who are "counter-culture" are dumber than ****ing dogshit. And are just cattle following a particularly stupid and uncreative herd.

Are you ****ing serious? That is funniest thing I have heard all day man. Thanks for that.

Suwannee Tim
02-01-11, 15:57
Using an acronym to challenge people's intelligence is pretty lame Suwannee Tim. You better put on your PPE for when SHTF and be GTG for when someone is like WTF, and goes click click bang... :rolleyes:

That's not how I do it Mac. I let them demonstrate their ignorance or stupidity, gently guided by my questions. When they have done a satisfactory job of it, I declare the proof complete with Q.E.D.

Suwannee Tim
02-01-11, 16:02
Tactical and operator. I have one gun with both words on it. Tactical on one side and Operator on the other. What was I thinking? I remember what I was thinking. Got a good trade for a POS Colt Mustang 380 and I wanted to get it done before the fool sobered up! The "Tactical Operator" SA 45 was the most appealing gun in his gun shop.

mnoe82
02-01-11, 16:38
Tactical and operator. I have one gun with both words on it. Tactical on one side and Operator on the other. What was I thinking? I remember what I was thinking. Got a good trade for a POS Colt Mustang 380 and I wanted to get it done before the fool sobered up! The "Tactical Operator" SA 45 was the most appealing gun in his gun shop.

I ALWAYS Operate Tactically :ph34r:

Suwannee Tim
02-01-11, 18:08
They might as well put "Tactical Operator Wanabee" on the gun. Makes me want to cover it up with electrical tape.

Mac5.56
02-01-11, 18:58
I just got a Cabela's catalogue in the mail, and it has "tactical .22 LR" bricks in it, for "all your tactical needs".

Suwannee Tim
02-01-11, 19:09
Y'all...

I bet you would really hate my Aunt's phrase "all ya'll".:(

RAM Engineer
02-01-11, 20:08
And for some reasons, I get annoyed when folks don't know when to put an apostrophe in "its" or "it's". If it's a contraction, use the apostrophe. If it is a possessive pronoun, don't.

I struggle with this one all the time. And I feel dumb every time.

Redmanfms
02-02-11, 01:09
African-American?

I'm with him there. Actually mine is (Anything)-American. You're either American or you are not.

It's no small thing to me that people who hyphenate their ethnicity are usually descended from people who came from nations/continents that suck.

Redmanfms
02-02-11, 01:28

If your "sister" made it to "Harvard Medical" without learning how to proofread and use spell check then I'll take a pass on any "medicine" she produces, thank you very much. Furthermore, I'm going to take a much tougher stance on any medical doctor with whom I come into contact who is sporting a Harvard Med. diploma.:D

Ability to effectively communicate is mandatory is just about any professional field. There is a reason I was required to take 12 credits of literature/composition in pursuit of my engineering degree.

Is being able to use grammar and spell properly the only indicator of intelligence? No, I agree with you there; however, it is a pretty solid indicator of EDUCATION which is highly correlative to intelligence.

You are more or less correct about codification of English, which is why highly codified languages like Latin and French were the languages of the learned until anglophones got their act together in the 18th-19th Centuries and set about making the "rules."

Jerm
02-02-11, 03:21
it is a pretty solid indicator of EDUCATION...

It's one area of formal education.

I point that out because it was by far my biggest problem area. :(

Proper grammatical structure specifically. Reading I loved... Writing not so much. I could read two books a week, win the spelling bee, and act as a human thesaurus for my teachers (if I wasn't too busy goofing off). Just don't ask me about the proper use of commas or how to diagram a sentence (still makes my head hurt).

People have wildly varying aptitudes even in seemingly closely related areas.

... which is highly correlative to intelligence.

Only in that the more intelligent you are the more likely you are to work at/toward your formal education. Even that varies a great deal depending on your available opportunities and interests.

Intelligence in itself is for the most part independent of education.

BTW- I take back what I said in my first post...

I just heard someone says "deets/detes" (details) and I wanted to punch them in the throat. Petty... But visceral (can't help it). May have been the person as much as the word.

500grains
02-02-11, 09:18
teabagger
program (as in "We needs more programs for the poor.")
social justice
progressive tax
NFA
ATF
alimony

jaxman7
02-02-11, 11:00
-Value Added Tax

Every time I hear about the VAT Pelosi comes to mind which is another word that I can't stand.

-flawlessly

As in, "I have 400 rounds through my Taurus and it has run flawlessly". For some reason on gun forums this word and platform are way overused.

-Jax

Suwannee Tim
02-02-11, 11:25
Allow me to submit a phrase, "....all day long....if I do my part." This is generally preceded by some fantastic accuracy claim like "My AR will shoot one inch groups at 500 yards...."

Bubba FAL
02-02-11, 12:40
irregardless: there is no such word and makes the user sound like a dumbass (to me, anyway). When I hear that word used, anything spoken afterward is irrational and irrelevant, regardless of the speaker.

Your/you're: can't tell the difference between a possessive pronoun and a contraction - really? Or is it laziness? Same could be said for its/it's.

I can listen to fingernails on a chalkboard all day, but misuse of words as described above makes me grind my teeth.

Mac5.56
02-02-11, 13:18
If your "sister" made it to "Harvard Medical" without learning how to proofread and use spell check then I'll take a pass on any "medicine" she produces, thank you very much. Furthermore, I'm going to take a much tougher stance on any medical doctor with whom I come into contact who is sporting a Harvard Med. diploma.:D

Ability to effectively communicate is mandatory is just about any professional field. There is a reason I was required to take 12 credits of literature/composition in pursuit of my engineering degree.

Is being able to use grammar and spell properly the only indicator of intelligence? No, I agree with you there; however, it is a pretty solid indicator of EDUCATION which is highly correlative to intelligence.

You are more or less correct about codification of English, which is why highly codified languages like Latin and French were the languages of the learned until anglophones got their act together in the 18th-19th Centuries and set about making the "rules."

I am not disagreeing with you at all. In fact it was very difficult for my sister to get her degrees because she did have to learn how to proof read, and edit her phonetic way of writing. I had a hard time with it as well. Some of it is probably familial, a lot of it though came from having an absolute shit english department at the public schools we went to. It's pretty funny when someone gets a full ride scholarship to a top school, only to have to learn basic grammar and spelling like they're in high school. She did it, and she succeeded as did I, and as do thousands of others.

But one discussion that is going on right now regarding the use of English, in relationship to the internet, and the quick flow of information, is the concept of phonetic English vs. codified. When I read a journal article in Science I expect it to be absolutely perfect, the same with my publications, your publications, other peoples publications ext. But when I get a quick two paragraph email from someone that is being written on one's lunch break I am not considering the spelling errors, and grammar mistakes as an indicator of that person intelligence. This is my point. I get sick of people on internet forums that can't win an actual argument resorting to someone's occasional spelling and grammar mistakes as tactic to divert the conversation away from the argument and towards the individual's shortcomings. It's a school yard bullies approach to debate, and it screams of immaturity and simple mindedness.

Could you imagine in a presidential debate, if one candidate was like: "Did you just hear how my opponent used the word "ya'all, he's stupid, I win!"

But, you're totally right, as are the others that have brought up points about judgement, and presentation regarding this. It's funny because the internet has really opened this subject up in a way that wasn't really talked about before. Written communication use to be among people that were affiliated, now it is random, fast, and with strangers. It takes place in the brief seconds we have between deadlines. Such a reality opens up a can of warms regarding people's differing levels of skill with the written word.

Redmanfms
02-03-11, 07:03
Yes, spelling/grammar Nazis are a pain and making an irrelevant conclusion about an argument based on grammatical errors is silly. I agree.

It's not a "word" you hate, but a tactic; the use of logical fallacies in arguments, specifically irrelevant conclusion. On that I can agree. It extends far beyond just internet discussions, and is the primary reason why I ditched research science in preference for engineering (well, that and money:D).

RAM Engineer
02-06-11, 10:28
I just hate silly sounding words. "Shottie" is particularly egregious, since it is the same number of letters as the word it is meant to replace, has the same number of syllables, and sounds stupid as hell.

"Price point". Stop saying that. It's just a "price", or maybe a "price range". :rolleyes:

theblackknight
02-06-11, 11:14
I hate people that put a lot of weight into spelling and grammar on the internet,because you know, if I use the wrong "their", you just won't be able to understand me. Communication is lost!!!!!!

kal
02-06-11, 11:36
I hate the ****ing word "chopper" when refering to a politically incorrect rifle.:mad:

Iraq Ninja
02-06-11, 12:06

Same thing with "hooah". Hooah is ****ing gay, and the sound that braincells make when they die. At least the Marines' "Oorah" has a history and actually means something.

It is a Ranger thing, dating back to WW2. At least we said it right. The Army took it and messed it up, like the black beret.

My most hated phrase is... Another tool for the toolbox.

militarymoron
02-06-11, 12:11
incorrectly using 'all intensive purposes' instead of 'all intents and purposes', 'calvary' instead of 'cavalry'. 'heigth' instead of 'height', 'orientate' instead of 'orient'.

kal
02-06-11, 12:20
I hate the word "bra" or "brah" as a variant of "bro".

"Hey brah, what's going on?"

You being stupid is what's going on.

Safetyhit
02-06-11, 12:26
I hate people that put a lot of weight into spelling and grammar on the internet,because you know, if I use the wrong "their", you just won't be able to understand me.

I think most just want to see proper grammar used here because it helps to keep the site fundamentally sound while also encouraging a degree of order. Not to mention that it helps better convey ideas and information.

As far as getting upset or irritated over an inadvertent spelling mistake, well let's just say that I suspect many here don't because they have other real issues to deal with in life.

kartoffel
02-06-11, 12:49
"Hey brah, what's going on?"

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1312/594747833_e950be9479.jpg

jaydoc1
02-06-11, 13:57
"It's good kit."

Scattergun
02-06-11, 14:14

My most hated phrase is... Another tool for the toolbox.

I thought I was the only one who hated that phrase. I also hate to hear "good to go"

M4Fundi
02-06-11, 16:04
Lawyer
attorney
insurance
doctor
advise (when it should be advice)
SHTF
Yank (when I'm living OCUNUS)
hate
dude
out of ammo
backordered
Allah Akbar
lawyer

javentre
02-06-11, 16:16
It's not a MUTE point, it's a MOOT point.

"I COULD care less" means that you care (some), usually folks should be saying "I COULDN'T care less".

kal
02-06-11, 16:33
Lawyer
attorney
insurance
doctor
advise (when it should be advice)
SHTF
Yank (when I'm living OCUNUS)
hate
dude
out of ammo
backordered
Allah Akbar
lawyer

I can only imagine a brit saying "Yah fooking yank!" :laugh:

chadbag
02-06-11, 16:36
I can only imagine a brit saying "Yah fooking yank!" :laugh:

That would be a Scot I think.

----

When used to discuss your latest project rifle, I dislike the word "build"

I know I am pissing in the wind here with that but it always seems to rub me wrong.

What is wrong with saying? "This is my latest rifle" instead of "This is my latest build"?

M4Fundi
02-06-11, 16:51
Try Colonial Africans:mad:

Suwannee Tim
02-06-11, 17:03
I think most just want to see proper grammar used here because it helps to keep the site fundamentally sound while also encouraging a degree of order. Not to mention that it helps better convey ideas and information.

As far as getting upset or irritated over an inadvertent spelling mistake, well let's just say that I suspect many here don't because they have other real issues to deal with in life.

Spelling and punctuation make writings easier to read and show respect for the reader. If it ain't worth a few seconds of your time to clean it up, it ain't worth my time to read it. I don't usually gripe about spelling, punctuation and grammar except to stir the pot.

I hated the verb "running" as in "running a rifle", I don't "run" them, I shoot them. I'm getting used to it out of necessity. I can't however read the word "rock" used as a verb is in "rock my AR" meaning "shoot my AR" without wondering about the writer's intelligence and/or drug screen panel.

Suwannee Tim
02-06-11, 17:29
It's not a MUTE point....

Personally, I'd like to see more mute points made!:D

Mac5.56
02-06-11, 23:54
Spelling and punctuation make writings easier to read and show respect for the reader. If it ain't worth a few seconds of your time to clean it up, it ain't worth my time to read it.

The fact that you used "aint" in this post is absolutely hilarious. Been following your posts for a while, I'm assuming this is a joke and you aren't serious in your word choice given the discussion... :)

There aint no ****in' way your serious tho brah, if you are shit gonna hit the fan! As in SHTF...

Iraq Ninja
02-07-11, 00:02
"Stay Safe" is another phrase I am getting tired of. Everyone seems to be using it. Personally, if I wanted to stay safe I would never leave the FOB.

I prefer Stay Smart.

Suwannee Tim
02-07-11, 05:18
The fact that you used "aint" in this post is absolutely hilarious......

Mac! I'm a Southerner!

Certified, both Cracker and Redneck!

Besides, I try to have a little fun!

Palmguy
02-07-11, 06:06
When used to discuss your latest project rifle, I dislike the word "build"

I know I am pissing in the wind here with that but it always seems to rub me wrong.

What is wrong with saying? "This is my latest rifle" instead of "This is my latest build"?

I agree; particularly when the only thing that could be remotely construed as "building" is the pushing of two pins.

Mac5.56
02-07-11, 10:48
Mac! I'm a Southerner!

Certified, both Cracker and Redneck!

Besides, I try to have a little fun!

I grew up in a trailer park in Wyoming, completely understand. We have our own way of talking out there, which basically constitutes not caring too much about perfect sentence structure.

I love to flip shit though too, and have fun.

Suwannee Tim
02-07-11, 16:28
I work to improve my writing, I use obscure words, play with sentence structure and I always spell and punctuate correctly. I always wanted to write well but the process of doing it with paper and pen was way too much work. With the computer it is easy and fun. That is one of my little hobbies and it is a different issue from not wanting to read poorly written posts. I just don't have the patience for it. I don't get in a perfect snit or anything like that, I just don't read it. I don't expect perfection, just effort on the part of the writer. No effort, I don't read it, no big deal.

I was in Wyoming last March and everybody was SO pale! Looked like they hadn't had any sun for months! I told them they needed to get out, get some sun! It's good for you! They just grumbled and gave me funny looks. I don't think people in Wyoming get enough sun. I guess they must all be busy all winter flippin shit. Maybe they should flip their shit outside, get some sun while they're at it!

M4Fundi
02-07-11, 17:57
"Stay Safe" is another phrase I am getting tired of. Everyone seems to be using it. Personally, if I wanted to stay safe I would never leave the FOB.

I prefer Stay Smart.

I prefer Stay Switched On;)

chadbag
05-16-11, 00:26
"sale" is a noun

"sell" is a verb

you are not going to "sale" anything. You are going to "sell" it.

Besides reading it here, I read it everywhere else as well, get it in emails, etc.

No, I am not going to "sale" you a new Dillon press. I may "sell" you one, however.

And I don't "re-sale" my mags if I don't like them. I may "re-sell" them however.

Moose-Knuckle
05-16-11, 01:13
Baby Momma - A "woman" one impregnates and carries their child full term.

Baby Daddy - The "man" whom impregnates said "woman".

Tree - The numeral three, 3.

Aun-tee - The female sibling of one's parent(s).

Bitch - To reference any and all females of the species.

I could go on and on and on. . .

montanadave
05-16-11, 06:46
"Work smarter, not harder"

Managers always trotted out this phrase at the last large institution I worked for when they were getting ready to hand you yet one more task to accomplish and document during an already overloaded (and understaffed) twelve hour shift.

JSantoro
05-16-11, 15:01
"Let's think outside the box..."

What if the answer is in the ****ing box, Captain Buzzphrase, you f**knut?

There's tons more, but I'm pretty sure there's not enough internet to contain it....

Safetyhit
05-16-11, 17:05
"Let's think outside the box..."

What if the answer is in the ****ing box, Captain Buzzphrase, you f**knut?

I'm pretty sure the term originated to promote finding an atypical solution needed to replace typical ones that aren't sufficient. Therefore indicating that the ideal solution is not to be found in the hypothetical box.

Or something like that.

theblackknight
05-16-11, 17:06
this thread sounds like a bunch of librarians with too much sand in vagina.

orionz06
05-16-11, 17:07
I'm pretty sure the term originated to promote finding an atypical solution needed to replace typical ones that aren't sufficient. Therefore indicating that the ideal solution is not to be found in the hypothetical box.

Or something like that.

Yes, pair thinking outside of the box with working smarter, not harder, and you will be well on your way.

Safetyhit
05-16-11, 17:08

Agreed.

chadbag
05-16-11, 17:17
Agreed.

You agree with bad grammar or using the flat out wrong words in sentences?

Safetyhit
05-16-11, 17:56
You agree with bad grammar or using the flat out wrong words in sentences?

Not at all. Heck I've suggested to several members here over the years that they clean up their writing so as to help maintain a higher level of communicational quality.

But as recently suggested, this seems like nitpicking. Personally I can't really imagine getting irritated by some of the terms mentioned, let alone feeling hate for them. Just seems a bit overdone in my humble opinion, a lot of harping on trivial stuff if you will.

JSantoro
05-16-11, 18:43
As it turns out, having come up dealing in dead languages like Old Church Slavonic, being aware of the subcultural background development of the English words and phrases I've grown to dislike due to overuse and mis-application is so comparatively simple that it isn't even a conscious thought.

That's fine, it's not a long jump to think I wasn't up on what it stood for. 1) It wasn't spelled out, B) it's a phrase and not a word, and III) I left out some context, so on re-direct:

When a person says "Let's think outside the box!" and the question at hand is easily solvable with painfully obvious line-of-sight, cause/effect logic, and one responds to the suggestion by saying "What if the answer is in the box, Captain Corporate Buzzphrase, you f**knut?" followed by the pointing out the solution and therefore showing the tests-well-doesn't-retain halfwit in question for the posturing ponce he is and thereby keeping him from providing any future input and getting some undeserving warfighter hurt because he thinks it's okay to use 30 words when 3 will suffice....

...okay, that last part is actually really fun if one isn't prone to suffering fools, so suppose that there's a warped form of good to be found in the absolute horror that is the state of the English language (and its practitioners), these days.

It's not even the words. They're merely symptoms, not the disease.

montanadave
05-16-11, 19:26
As it turns out, having come up dealing in dead languages like Old Church Slavonic, being aware of the subcultural background development of the English words and phrases I've grown to dislike due to overuse and mis-application is so comparatively simple that it isn't even a conscious thought.

That's fine, it's not a long jump to think I wasn't up on what it stood for. 1) It wasn't spelled out, B) it's a phrase and not a word, and III) I left out some context, so on re-direct:

When a person says "Let's think outside the box!" and the question at hand is easily solvable with painfully obvious line-of-sight, cause/effect logic, and one responds to the suggestion by saying "What if the answer is in the box, Captain Corporate Buzzphrase, you f**knut?" followed by the pointing out the solution and therefore showing the tests-well-doesn't-retain halfwit in question for the posturing ponce he is and thereby keeping him from providing any future input and getting some undeserving warfighter hurt because he thinks it's okay to use 30 words when 3 will suffice....

...okay, that last part is actually really fun if one isn't prone to suffering fools, so suppose that there's a warped form of good to be found in the absolute horror that is the state of the English language (and its practitioners), these days.

It's not even the words. They're merely symptoms, not the disease.

Tru dat! Hate the game, not the playa! :jester:

Safetyhit
05-16-11, 19:51
When a person says "Let's think outside the box!" and the question at hand is easily solvable with painfully obvious line-of-sight...

I'm not sure I understand why you're jumping to this broad-brushed conclusion. If somebody's missing the obvious, then sure they needn't be unnecessarily creative. But don't we all need to come up with sensible alternatives at times when dealing with complicated scenarios?

I guess the point is that unless this is sarcasm I simply don't understand the basis for your complaint.

kartoffel
05-16-11, 20:06
As it turns out, having come up dealing in dead languages like Old Church Slavonic

That's some hardcore stuff. My buddy in college was a Russian major, had to learn some OCS. All I ever learned was Христос воскресе, воистину воскресе.

Suwannee Tim
05-16-11, 20:11
.....What if the answer is in the ****ing box, Captain Buzzphrase, you f**knut?....

98.4% of the time, that's right where the answer is. Right there in the box, right where it is supposed to be.
1.28% of the time the in the box solution works almost as good as the out of the box solution.
0.32% of time the out of the box solution is significantly better.

How about "at this time", spoken in a context where everything is present tense. I hear this on the work radio a lot. If almost everything is "at this time" you don't need to say "at this time" every time you say something.

Some of us care about language more than others. If you don't care about language, why are you reading this thread?

Bubba FAL
05-16-11, 20:54
If I hear "at the end of the day..." once more, I think I'll vomit! Seems to be the current managerial catchphrase at my place of employment. Even catch some of the Germans using it..

Safetyhit
05-16-11, 21:41
Some of us care about language more than others. If you don't care about language, why are you reading this thread?

This apparently isn't about proper spelling, grammar or word selection. It's about people griping about their largely trivial verbal pet peeves, ones that would likely leave most unphased.

Again, even as one who is known to chastise others who push the poor grammar envelope, most of the stuff here doesn't bother me in the least. But that's just dopey old me.

mattjmcd
05-16-11, 22:55
I have a special feeling of animosity towards political buzzwords and jargon. The world has gotten smaller and more fast-paced with the introduction of the internet and the blogosphere. These days, some pol or media type will use a catchy phrase once, somebody else hears it, and then it's off to the races. Suddenly that word or phrase is everywhere. Lately, the annoying "it" word has been optics. It seems like these words are spawned feverishly every 4 years or so, timed with elections.

In the 2000 general the word was "gravitas". Remember that one?
In 2004 is was "triumphalism". :rolleyes: (just when you thought John Kerry couldn't get any more condescending, right?)
Who knows what it'll be in 2012? I'm sure it'll be a humdinger.

Overall, I think the 4 words I've come to hate most over the past decade are as follows:

Bush
Lied
People
Died

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-16-11, 23:19
Goddamn it, if I hear this anymore I will snap:

"It would behoove you not to gaff me off"

Or the ever popular "Be who of you"

kartoffel
05-16-11, 23:53
Or the ever popular "Be who of you"

Wow, people actually spell it that way? Jeez.

Oh, just today on the drive home I saw a truck with vinyl graphics on the tailgate that said "So-and-so Kennel Chihuahua's". Grammatically, I guess they wanted everyone to know the truck belongs to a small Mexican dog.

chadbag
05-17-11, 00:05
This apparently isn't about proper spelling, grammar or word selection. It's about people griping about their largely trivial verbal pet peeves, ones that would likely leave most unphased.

Again, even as one who is known to chastise others who push the poor grammar envelope, most of the stuff here doesn't bother me in the least. But that's just dopey old me.

Just a point of order:

not all the complaints here are pet peeves about over used sayings.

Magic_Salad0892
05-17-11, 03:20
''coolbeans'' is a stupid word.

''fade'' as opposed to ''fight.''

I also hate the sentence ''You need a prostate exam.''

Suwannee Tim
05-17-11, 05:17

That's exactly right. Whining and griping about trivial pet peeves. Mea culpa.

''coolbeans'' is a stupid word.....

Stupid but fun. Gotta have some fun, right?

If I hear "at the end of the day..." once more, I think I'll vomit!..t..

Good idea. I think I will too. Hannity uses is about fourteen times a day.

platoonDaddy
05-17-11, 06:42
I do!

QuietShootr
05-17-11, 06:42
Bushy (Bushmaster)
Dissy (dissipator)
Middy (midlength)
Shottie (shotgun)

What mutilations of the English language annoy you?

break for "brake" is annoying as ****...but the improper use of the possessive "I own a lot of AR's" makes me want to kick a baby. It's like a big flashing neon sign that says RETARD.

QuietShootr
05-17-11, 07:05

What ^ said. Matter of fact, I challenge you to produce proof of a dyslexic sister who is currently a student at HMS, like her name and a screenshot of her student directory page, and an email from her at the address shown on the directory page that says "I'm xxxx's sister, I'm dyslexic, and I'm a medical student at HMS." You don't even have to post her information publicly, an email will do. You do that, I'll send you 10 new P-mags. You fail to do that, you take a 30 day ban for being a liar. Seem fair?

BrianS
05-19-11, 21:07
Good idea. I think I will too. Hannity uses is about fourteen times a day.

"The factor of the matter is" followed by something that is opinion and not fact.

One thing Hannity does is ask people if they will say something and then demand they say it. Hilarious and retarded.