PDA

View Full Version : Spike's Tactical selector slightly loose, replacement from them didnt help

masakari
01-31-11, 09:10
ok, so I got a Spike's Tactical lower for my 14.7" CMMG upper, and its great... except right out of the box I noticed that the selector had a slight amount of play when on safe or fire. nothing major, but its starting to bug me. I contacted Spike's, and they told me that they use "the best quality selectors" and that they are made by the same guys who make them for colt... then they mentioned how high the hump was. ok, cool. so they send me a replacement anyways, and I installed it (along with a new detent and spring) and I still have the same issue. So, im thinking that either those selectors arent the best, the detent is undersized, or the receiver hole itself is oversized, enabling the selector to move slightly whenever locked into position.
Does anyone else have this problem with their Spike's lower? If it is my receiver, I dont want to bother sending it in, I'll just have to deal with it, but a bigger detent should be easy enough to find if I look around. additionally, if i get the chance i could try a new selector but this seems unlikely as i instected it and it seems within spec (from my uncalibrated eyes)
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
thanks guys
-Joe

lethal dose
01-31-11, 09:12
ok, so I got a Spike's Tactical lower... and its great... except
hahaha... just had to do that. try a stiffer spring/detent. ;)

outrider627
01-31-11, 09:21
ok, so I got a Spike's Tactical lower for my 14.7" CMMG upper, and its great... except right out of the box I noticed that the selector had a slight amount of play when on safe or fire. nothing major, but its starting to bug me. I contacted Spike's, and they told me that they use "the best quality selectors" and that they are made by the same guys who make them for colt... then they mentioned how high the hump was. ok, cool. so they send me a replacement anyways, and I installed it (along with a new detent and spring) and I still have the same issue. So, im thinking that either those selectors arent the best, the detent is undersized, or the receiver hole itself is oversized, enabling the selector to move slightly whenever locked into position.
Does anyone else have this problem with their Spike's lower? If it is my receiver, I dont want to bother sending it in, I'll just have to deal with it, but a bigger detent should be easy enough to find if I look around. additionally, if i get the chance i could try a new selector but this seems unlikely as i instected it and it seems within spec (from my uncalibrated eyes)
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
thanks guys
-Joe

I have as Spikes rifle. There's a little bit of play when the selector is on safe or fire. I thought it was normal for AR15s. My uneducated guess is that the detent is causing the movement.

masakari
01-31-11, 09:29
Yeah, its funny because my BUSHMASTER of all things has a perfect lockup of the selector. and has had ZERO malfunctions ever. I guess they aint too bad, eh?

Iraqgunz
01-31-11, 09:48
Can you describe a slight amount of play for us? Is it too easy to move from SAFE to FIRE?

What type of pistol grip are you using? Since that is where the spring sits pushing the detent into the lower that could be an issue. You could possibly soimething in the hole to shorten the gap which should provide some additional stiffness.

dcgallim
01-31-11, 10:07
Mines the same way. I think it's the LPK and not the lower. I've got an Aero lower with the Spikes LPK and I noticed the selector has a bit of play as soon as I installed it. It's not bad it just doesn't feel like it locks up as tight as my other ARs.

masakari
01-31-11, 10:17
well basically, i mean that when on safe or fire, the selector wobbles a bit in either direction if manipulated by hand; it is not in danger of accidentaly moving on/off safe, but the wobble is distracting. basically, it isnt really a positive "click"
i have actially swapped pistol grips, and it is still the same... and i stretched the detent spring, with no change.

Iraqgunz
01-31-11, 10:22
Stretching the spring does nothing other than to ruin the spring, which I would now replace. What you can do is possibly take something small like another detent, place it inside the channel of the pistol grip and then add the spring. Put the detent inside the lower and carefully install the grip. That may be enough to provide additional compression and push the detent into the selector lever.

If that doesn't solve it, then get another selector from another vendor and see what happens.

well basically, i mean that when on safe or fire, the selector wobbles a bit in either direction if manipulated by hand; it is not in danger of accidentaly moving on/off safe, but the wobble is distracting. basically, it isnt really a positive "click"
i have actially swapped pistol grips, and it is still the same... and i stretched the detent spring, with no change.

Blowby
01-31-11, 10:36
Look at the relationship of the detent pin and the selector groove and dimple where the safe and fire position are. With the selector out and the pin in hand see if it enters the dimple with a nice solid fit. You can try different detent pins to achieve the lockup. I would not advise modifying the detent pin but that is an option to get you by until the proper fit is obtained with the selector / pin combination or a different brand altogether.

masakari
01-31-11, 11:35
Look at the relationship of the detent pin and the selector groove and dimple where the safe and fire position are. With the selector out and the pin in hand see if it enters the dimple with a nice solid fit. You can try different detent pins to achieve the lockup. I would not advise modifying the detent pin but that is an option to get you by until the proper fit is obtained with the selector / pin combination or a different brand altogether.

yes, that i have done and it wobbles in my hand only if the detent is given some leeway on either side. therefore, i figure that the detent is too small or the channel too big. i guess its only something that can be figured out by trial and error with a new selector, detent, and spring.

Blowby
01-31-11, 12:32
yes, that i have done and it wobbles in my hand only if the detent is given some leeway on either side. therefore, i figure that the detent is too small or the channel too big. i guess its only something that can be figured out by trial and error with a new selector, detent, and spring.
So you are getting a good solid fit when the detent pin enters the dimple? If so can you check the pin diameter? I think it should be 1/8". Also check the lower if you have a pin gauge set or use drill bits to check hole size. See if you have too much clearance. Also check the pin length.

masakari
01-31-11, 12:50
it seems like it. unfortunately, i have no such tools available to me, i live out of a storage unit and my barracks room. but ill see if i can check those measurements...

Blowby
01-31-11, 13:33
...so you do have other parts to swap out! Do you have unsuspecting room mates in your barracks that might have spares or won't even notice a wobbly lever? :D

masakari
01-31-11, 13:47
haha yeah, ill see about doing some swapping with other civvie ARs, but I aint touching our issue weapons! oh wouldnt that be nice though... :D
ill try and do that asap, and i will post results for the record.

BSWilson
01-31-11, 13:53
Try replacing the grip. Some grips have shallower/deeper detent spring holes than others which can result in very firm or sloppy detent action.

Alternatively, you can also shim it a bit by shoving something (like a spare detent) into the hole.

masakari
01-31-11, 15:12
if i can manage to procure a spare detent i can try that, but i did swap grips with no change.

cop1211
01-31-11, 21:28
Get the Battle Arms selector, new spring, and call it a day.

masakari
02-01-11, 14:34
there are some lower parts that i need anyways, so im going to go with a whole LPK. where is a good place to get one, and what brand would you recommend? BCM has Stag LPKs in stock, so im leaning to that because they have been great from what ive used...
thanks

lethal dose
02-01-11, 15:34
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GRT-LPK

top notch lpk.

masakari
02-01-11, 18:42
Thanks for the link! I ordered the LPK along with a BCM MOD4 charging handle, when I install the new selector ill post the results. Thanks again guys

Blowby
02-02-11, 20:14
Just a list of dimensions from my BM lower (6K plus rounds) and some spare springs and detent pins. I used some pin gauges that are +.0002 -.0000 and digital calipers to measure.

http://blackrifleworks.com/images/imagecache/100-100-selector_detent.jpg

Old Pin Dia. = .1215 main body, .1395 Shoulder / Length = .3920
New Pin Dia. = .1205 main body, .1390 Shoulder / Length = .3920
New Pin Dia. = .1200 main body, .3910 Shoulder / Length = .3910

-----------------------------------------------
Old Spring = Dia. .1040, Length .913
New Spring = Dia. .1030, Length .935
New Spring = Dia. .1030, Length .935

-----------------------------------------------
BM Lower = .1252 Main Bore, .155 Counter Bore

Hope this helps.

Hmac
02-02-11, 20:30

If the hole in the receiver isn't too large, then it's the way the detent fits in the selector. Could be a poorly forged selector or a crappy detent.

Get the Battle Arms selector, new spring, and call it a day.

I'm kind of surprised no one else suggested this. The BADASS is a top-quality piece of work and comes with a KNS stainless steel detent. Both are excellent. The selector lever is a pretty important component of your rifle. You should make sure you have a good one. The BADASS is a hell of a deal at $60.

http://shop.battlearmsdevelopment.com/images/BAD-ASS-5%20COMBO-SC1.jpg

masakari
02-27-11, 22:40
Well, finally have an update!
just got back to my guns today, and was able to install the new selector that I ordered (LMT)
it is rock solid, exactly what I was looking for. So, lesson: Spike's selector assemblies suck! Otherwise, they are great rifles.
thanks for the help guys

GTO
02-28-11, 22:03
IF you are talking about a "little" play when rocking/wiggling the safety in either direction of "safe" and "fire" . there is nothing "wrong with the parts. My Colt, Spikes and other brands do the same thing and are in spec and normal. they have been that way since day one.

The safety is relieved inside at the plunger for smooth transition and you are feeling it riding the revealed edge.

So YOU like a stiff "CLICK" in a safety, that doesn't mean the rest are a POS. BTW, you could have easily made it stiffer (and possibly louder) Yourself .

Yet another thread on the internet bashing a brand or part over a non issue.:sad:

If it were a 1911, I could understand.

Iraqgunz
02-28-11, 22:11
Everything else aside, none of my selector levers have play in them. To include my Colt LPK's.

IF you are talking about a "little" play when rocking/wiggling the safety in either direction of "safe" and "fire" . there is nothing "wrong with the parts. My Colt, Spikes and other brands do the same thing and are in spec and normal. they have been that way since day one.

The safety is relieved inside at the plunger for smooth transition and you are feeling it riding the revealed edge.

So YOU like a stiff "CLICK" in a safety, that doesn't mean the rest are a POS. BTW, you could have easily made it stiffer (and possibly louder) Yourself .

Yet another thread on the internet bashing a brand or part over a non issue.:sad:

If it were a 1911, I could understand.

jklaughrey
02-28-11, 22:37
My Colt's, BCM, DD are all positive and have zero play. I would tend to agree that maybe concerning this part Spike's missed the boat!

GTO if you are having issues with the part perhaps there is a problem that needs to be addressed rather than minimizing a problem to show brand loyalty.

GTO
02-28-11, 22:50
My Colt's, BCM, DD are all positive and have zero play. I would tend to agree that maybe concerning this part Spike's missed the boat!

GTO if you are having issues with the part perhaps there is a problem that needs to be addressed rather than minimizing a problem to show brand loyalty.

I'm not having issues with parts.:blink: Who is my brand loyalty? Tell me what do and have I owned?

Maybe we are not talking about the same thing. Someone do a vid of these out of spec unsafe parts. :p

jklaughrey
02-28-11, 22:57
We might be on a different page GTO. I took your meaning as the OP bashing Spikes due to sub par parts and you stating your Colt and Spikes were fine even with the same issue. Either way if a part isn't giving the positive feel that you are used to, it needs to be replaced to appease your need. Even if the part is in spec. Cheers!

GTO
02-28-11, 22:59
OK, I went and grabbed a mint SP-1, same thing if you try you can slightly move the "< "up and down if you try with pressure. (same as others)

GTO
02-28-11, 23:02
What the hell am I doing? I should be drinking beer and watching TV instead of looking for a defect that's not there. LOL!

Doc Safari
03-01-11, 09:28

I got out all my AR's and all of them have just a hint of "pivot" even when firmly locked on SAFE or FIRE. Not having calipers or anything I'm eyeballing it and the "play" is probably around 1/32"-ish in either direction. This is on all my rifles ranging from BCM to Daniel Defense, so I consider this amount of play "normal."

The problem I'm experiencing on something like this and other issues is that it's hard to convey something like the amount of play adequately over the internet. Some people consider a component tight even when there's a little movement when it's locked and other people might say a component is excessively loose even when someone else considers it normal.

masakari
03-02-11, 15:03
Yes, a little bit of play is normal I can imagine, however this amount of play was substantial; like a quarter of the way to safe or fire. And now it is minimal. So id say that spikes dropped the ball.

The Cat
03-02-11, 15:29
I'd say it's just a crappy part. I have a CMT selector that's play-free, but it's pretty friggen gritty between Safe and Fire.

Nightvisionary
03-04-11, 07:54
Well, finally have an update!
just got back to my guns today, and was able to install the new selector that I ordered (LMT)
it is rock solid, exactly what I was looking for. So, lesson: Spike's selector assemblies suck! Otherwise, they are great rifles.
thanks for the help guys

I have a Spikes and have had no such issues with the selector.