PDA

View Full Version : Which one should I buy?

Elkhound
01-31-11, 13:01
I think I am going to buy an AR. I presently do not have one. I have only shotguns. I am mostly a collector and a very infrequent shooter, so whatever I buy will mostly be a safequeen and may only get fired once, or twice, per year. So, extreme, heavy duty reliability is not an absolute for me, yet, of course, I want value for my money. I am thinking about spending up to about $1,450.00 or so. I have found the following to be in my budget, but I would appreciate your comments on which might be a more appropriate purchase for me. All of the choices are new and I have found them either on Gunbroker or at major vendors.

1. Sig 516, roughly $1,300.00 or so (?).
2. PWS MKI MK116, found one for less than $1,400.00
3. Ruger 556, roughly $1,200.00.
4. Buy a C3 Defense lower and add an Adams Arms piston upper- Less than $1,100.00??, or what do you suggest?

Thanks,

Elkhound

crusader377
01-31-11, 13:11
None of the above.

I would study the chart and learn from some of the subject matter experts on this board.

I would be looking at the following rifles:

Daniel Defense
BCM
Colt 6920/6720

All of these rifles can be purchased from between $950 and $1200 and are much more proven rifles than the ones you listed.

THCDDM4
01-31-11, 13:17
I think I am going to buy an AR. I presently do not have one. I have only shotguns. I am mostly a collector and a very infrequent shooter, so whatever I buy will mostly be a safequeen and may only get fired once, or twice, per year. So, extreme, heavy duty reliability is not an absolute for me, yet, of course, I want value for my money. I am thinking about spending up to about $1,450.00 or so. I have found the following to be in my budget, but I would appreciate your comments on which might be a more appropriate purchase for me. All of the choices are new and I have found them either on Gunbroker or at major vendors.

4. Buy a C3 Defense lower and add an Adams Arms piston upper- Less than $1,100.00??, or what do you suggest?

Thanks,

Elkhound

I would suggest deleting that list; doing some heavy research aroud here on all the stickied threads, and coming up with a new list after a good long round of research (FYI; to put it into perspective, I did 2 years of research on this weapons platform before I spent a single dime on this weapons platform, and my research paid of quite well!!!!!!!!). Buy once cry once!

My list would be:
-Daniel Defense
-BCM
-Colt
-LMT

Whootsinator
01-31-11, 13:17
If you're only going to shoot it twice a year, it does not matter what-so-ever. Buy whatever looks 'coolest' to you, or whatever would impress your friends the most. That's the point of your purchase, right?

01-31-11, 13:23
Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT.

The next question is why do you want a safe queen?

The_War_Wagon
01-31-11, 13:31
As a POF piston owner (and moderately happy one at that), I would suggest - look at the chart.

BCM, Colt, Noveske - they would be cheaper, and serve you better, with more easily replaced parts, and a better service life, than your Piston AR.

Yeah, I own a piston. I also own 3 DI rifles, too. It took longer to whip the piston rifle into shape. Cost more, too. :o

Elkhound
01-31-11, 13:31
It is a bit erroneous to say I am just buying something to impress friends. If that were the case, I'd ask you guys what is "coolest" or most expensive, and what impresses you the most.

Yes, I want something that looks good to me, and if others think it is cool, that is great. But, I simply don't have time to shoot often. I am, according to AARP, a senior citizen, with a non-firearms involved federal job and two teenagers. So, I simply don't get to spend time in the dirt and at firing ranges like some of you do; although I wish I could.

No, I just want to be part of the AR owning brotherhood, but I don't want to waste my money or play the fool in joining that group. And, I don't mind doing my research, but I knew starting with you guys first would be a sound decision.

Elkhound

THCDDM4
01-31-11, 13:35
It is a bit erroneous to say I am just buying something to impress friends. If that were the case, I'd ask you guys what is "coolest" or most expensive, and what impresses you the most.

Yes, I want something that looks good to me, and if others think it is cool, that is great. But, I simply don't have time to shoot often. I am, according to AARP, a senior citizen, with a non-firearms involved federal job and two teenagers. So, I simply don't get to spend time in the dirt and at firing ranges like some of you do; although I wish I could.

No, I just want to be part of the AR owning brotherhood, but I don't want to waste my money or play the fool in joining that group. And, I don't mind doing my research, but I knew starting with you guys first would be a sound decision.

Elkhound

This is a good attitude to have. DO the research around here, be patient, look for deals on the internet and you will find the rifle that best fits your needs at a bottom dollar. Good luck with your research/rifle purchase and have fun shooting her; when you get the time to that is!

Militant83
01-31-11, 13:50
I would also suggest taking a look at some of the following manufactures. You will get a better product for your money with any of these.

Bravo Company
DD
LMT
Colt
Spike Tactical

500grains
01-31-11, 13:58

No.

I would recommend you get a gas impingement Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense or Noveske AR-15.

If you insist on a gas piston system, get a gun properly designed to run as such, which would be an FN SCAR. Or God forbid, an AK47.

The foregoing is my personal opinion.

Iraqgunz
01-31-11, 14:07
These, "what should I buy" threads are getting old and they keep ending up as train wrecks.