PDA

View Full Version : Surgeon or GAP .338 or something comparable

snaggletooth
01-31-11, 16:28
I was looking for recommendations for a .338 rifle, its more for shits and giggles and long range shooting, but mostly shit and giggles.

At first I was all hyped up to get a Accuracy International but after handling it and realizing that the trigger guard doesn't really fit with my hand and is quite bothersome to hold and handle.

Anyone have a preference towards a GAP or the Surgeon or Timberwolf rifle? I was also looking at the McMillan Tac .338 any thoughts on that? I want something like GAP FBI HRT but chambered in .338 and has the rails forward of the scope.

chris914
01-31-11, 16:46
Get in touch with George, he will hook you up with whatever your heart desires. The GAP rifles are really sweet shooters.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-31-11, 17:24
Do you reload? If not you choices are limited in the 338 market with regard to match ammo and the nod really goes to the 338 Lapua.

If you do reload then you have a world of options 338 Allen Extreme, 338 Lapua, 333-378 weatherby, 338 CHY TAC,338 EDGE, 338 RUM, 338 Norma Mag, 338 Hart, 338 SIN, 338 win mag

I bought an off the shelf McMillan for my first rifle and it was fun, but what I though I wanted from looking at pics on the internet was not what I wanted at all. Long story short some the rifles you mentioned are over priced in my opinion.

If I was going to build another rifle in 338 it would be on a Borden or APS Raptor action. The APS is new and you may not have heard of it. It has extended barrel threads to support the weight of the longer barrels 26” plus.

Do you want a repeater or are you happy with a single shot rifle?

Here is a link to some rifles in 338 EDGE or 338-300 what ever you want to call it.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/lrr/lrr-338-edge.php

snaggletooth
01-31-11, 19:44
I was looking for a .338 Lapua. I have a RCBS rock chucker all set and ready to go from uncle, hense my interest in the Surgeon or GAP or the like and was looking for something in that flavor.

I was at one point curious about the MSR but have chalked that up for vaporware for the next 5 years.

orkan
01-31-11, 19:55
Checked into DTA SRS rifles? Hottest system going. I like mine.

http://www.gregd.net/pics/guns/thor/IMG_4882.JPG

BC98
01-31-11, 20:59
I would also recommend considering the Sako TRG-42. I've seen one ran out to 1100 yards and it was pretty impressive. I should be seeing it out to 1500 yards by the end of February.

BigJoe
01-31-11, 21:21
DTA SRS- i have one and love it, great gun
APA will build to suit and makes absolute hammers
GAP always a good choice and george will built to whatever spec you want.
PGW are AWESOME Weapons but you definately pay for them.
the Mcm factory stuff are nice but overprice IMO
underground skunkworks is another awesome builder and once again will build to your specs.

you really can't go wrong with any of them. the trg 42 is nice as well but if your really wanting a GAP HRT type build i would just call APA, GAP or skunkworks and tell them that and see what they spec you for one in 338LM

snaggletooth
02-02-11, 04:47
Hey thanks for the suggestions, I will take a good look at that skunkworks rifle.

As far as trying the DTA SRS and the SAKO all have the same feeling, awkward handling as the AW, more so with the DTA.

I want to try and see how the folding stock version of the SAKO feels like.

BC98
02-02-11, 07:39
Hey thanks for the suggestions, I will take a good look at that skunkworks rifle.

As far as trying the DTA SRS and the SAKO all have the same feeling, awkward handling as the AW, more so with the DTA.

I want to try and see how the folding stock version of the SAKO feels like.

FWIW, I saw both the fixed stock and folding stock versions of the TRG fired at the range of 1100 yards that I had previously mentioned and both were equal in performance and very impressive. The gentlemen shooting the folder version did state that it cost somewhere between $1000 and $1500 (can't remember at the moment) over the cost of the fixed stock.

orkan
02-02-11, 12:38
more so with the DTA.

We'll see what you say about "awkward handling" after using a full size 338 for a while. :)

DTA SRS isn't gaining popularity by accident.

snaggletooth
02-03-11, 23:33
When I say awkward handling, I mean that the bottom of the trigger guard seems to irritate my hand as well as the general grip also. I really wanted to like the DTA and the AI AW but they just didn't feel right in my paws. I dont have big hands either, its just they just didn't good.

orkan
02-04-11, 02:44
I don't buy that you've handled a DTA. Know why? I have an AI, and a DTA... and they feel nothing like each other.

Your money, buy whatever you want. Just don't prematurely dismiss something because you think its the same as something else, when it's not.

Were I going to buy a full size 338... it would probably be a PGW timberwolf or a custom built by william roscoe. I've seen GAP's work, and the attention to detail that william has... just isn't there. Skunkworks would be a possibility if I couldn't get william to do it. (he wasn't taking on any new customers last time I talked to him) Yes he's that good.

snaggletooth
02-04-11, 13:33
I don't buy that you've handled a DTA. Know why? I have an AI, and a DTA... and they feel nothing like each other.

Per your doubts about my handling of the DTA and the AI, I said that that they both did not feel right in my hand. They had individual characteristics that did not lend them be suited for my likes.

The AI being the thumbhole stock irritating my my thumb and giving me a squished hand feeling and the portion of the grip that merges with the trigger guard irritating my my middle finger.With the DTA the back portion of the grip did not lent itself to being suitable for my hands and the again the trigger guard irritated my middle finger. They both had similar characteristics as far as my not liking the two guns.

Also on a side note, what was it in the attention to detail that was lacking from GAP? I truely am interested and want know more about it so I can make a better choice.

orkan
02-04-11, 14:32
Several GAP rifles I've handled did not have proper bedding in the rear tang and looked like crap. Functionally, they still shot so its a minor bitch... but in my opinion GAP is a victim of their own success.

They hold a cult-like following, and can do no wrong in some people's eyes.

mark5pt56
02-04-11, 14:36
Also, think about the new AI AX series coming out. I would also make sure I have a place to shoot the 338 to take advantage of the caliber's potential. Of course there's the simple wants and have's if you're able:cool:

Belmont31R
02-04-11, 14:43
Also, think about the new AI AX series coming out. I would also make sure I have a place to shoot the 338 to take advantage of the caliber's potential. Of course there's the simple wants and have's if you're able:cool:

Was just about to post the same thing. AI's are pretty common where I shoot (1k yard range), and the AX looks like it will be a solid platform with some nice upgrades to the current AW/M.

I was just shooting last week with a guy with a Sako 338, and its an amazing LR combo, too. That guy was tagging the 1k yard gongs like it was going out of style.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-04-11, 15:30
Was just about to post the same thing. AI's are pretty common where I shoot (1k yard range), and the AX looks like it will be a solid platform with some nice upgrades to the current AW/M.

I was just shooting last week with a guy with a Sako 338, and its an amazing LR combo, too. That guy was tagging the 1k yard gongs like it was going out of style.

Dont know what the AX is? Shawn Carlock has the 338EDGE +P on the way as well

Belmont31R
02-04-11, 16:01
http://www.accuracyinternational.com/ax_series.php

SMGLee has an AI pic thread in the Shot Show forum, too.

Probably be a lot pricier than a GAP 338 (or similar) but AI makes a true military grade gun plus the AX chassis offers a lot more mounting choices if people want to run NV or whatever. The AI action is bombproof, too, and meant to be run in harsh conditions.

mark5pt56
02-04-11, 17:03
This is my opinion and not to knock the known quality of some of these builds. I've been behind some nice sticks built by x, x and x -but until you get behind an AI, you don't know what you're missing.

Belmont31R
02-04-11, 17:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQsI2WiIRpE

One of the cool things about the AI is the barrels are user removable. You can send your AI gun to a place like GAP, and they will keep your setup information on file. Then if you wanted to change calibers they can spin up a new barrel for you, and you can install it yourself.

Littlelebowski
02-04-11, 18:57
This is my opinion and not to knock the known quality of some of these builds. I've been behind some nice sticks built by x, x and x -but until you get behind an AI, you don't know what you're missing.

My brother is a combat veteran 8541 and 8542. He feels the same way about his AI AW "Matilda."

Supergrade
03-18-11, 05:49
GAP rifles are very well made. Can't speak for the Surgeon. But I tell you Orkin sure is making me want to sell a couple things and get a Desert Tactical... Stop showing pictures, I can hear my bank account dwindle...

Smash
03-20-11, 01:08
I would definitely look into the Sako TRG-42 if you're looking for a 338 Lap Mag rifle. Side by side comparisons and testing show its one of the most accurate out of the box rifles when compared to the usually more expensive counterparts. However, something to think about if you say this is for S&G's: You can get a very accurate rifle chambered in .308 thats great for long range shooting. Unless you're wanting to spend over 3 grand on a rifle and 3 grand on glass that allows it to perform to its true potential. Along with that, ammunition is going to be much more expensive and magazines for even the TRG are 180 for .338. If you want long range and dont intend to shoot over 1500m I would look into going .308 instead. More rounds down range, more training, save money.

Belmont31R
03-20-11, 01:11
I would definitely look into the Sako TRG-42 if you're looking for a 338 Lap Mag rifle. Side by side comparisons and testing show its one of the most accurate out of the box rifles when compared to the usually more expensive counterparts. However, something to think about if you say this is for S&G's: You can get a very accurate rifle chambered in .308 thats great for long range shooting. Unless you're wanting to spend over 3 grand on a rifle and 3 grand on glass that allows it to perform to its true potential. Along with that, ammunition is going to be much more expensive and magazines for even the TRG are 180 for .338. If you want long range and dont intend to shoot over 1500m I would look into going .308 instead. More rounds down range, more training, save money.

Or 300WM. Ammo is only slightly more expensive than 308 but a big jump in down range capability.

RyanB
03-20-11, 02:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQsI2WiIRpE

One of the cool things about the AI is the barrels are user removable. You can send your AI gun to a place like GAP, and they will keep your setup information on file. Then if you wanted to change calibers they can spin up a new barrel for you, and you can install it yourself.

Better than that, they already have it on file, as AI headspacing is and always has been the same. Call them and order an AI barrel... don't send anything.