PDA

View Full Version : Best lower for an SBR?

Abdon
09-01-07, 22:42
Hello All!!!

Well, now that I have my trust set up, I am thinking about building an SBR.

Please let me know what your opinions are about which lower receiver I should use for my first SBR build.

I am thinking about going with either an LMT, POF or Noveske, given their strong reputation, but I have heard varying opinions regarding some of the other brands such as RRA, Stag and Bushmaster. Does it really make a huge difference using one lower vs another?

Any and all comments welcome!!!

Thanks!!!

Abdon

DRich
09-01-07, 22:49
Does it really make a huge difference using one lower vs another?

Not really. Any decent forged (or billet) lower would be fine. They are all pretty equal in regards to quality and the only real differences are the finish and rollmarks.

If you plan to use an RDIAS, then you need to find an unblocked lower, but that's a moot point for a semi-auto rifle.

Abdon
09-01-07, 23:01
If you plan to use an RDIAS, then you need to find an unblocked lower, but that's a moot point for a semi-auto rifle.

Pardon my ignorance, but not sure what "RDIAS" is?

Thanks for the advice btw!!!

Abdon

DRich
09-01-07, 23:08

Registered Drop In Auto Sear

Allows you to legally convert your AR15 to full-auto. Some lowers are milled to accept them...some aren't. Prices start around $10k and are going up everyday.

UVvis
09-01-07, 23:10

Thanks for the advice btw!!!

Abdon

Registered Drop In Auto Sear.

dubb-1
09-01-07, 23:58
I use Noveske lowers for my SBRs. I don't know if I can scientifically prove that they are better, I just choose to support John, as he is truly truly one of the good guys and he makes a fine product. His CS is beyond reproach, as well.

gunny
09-02-07, 08:59
Hello All!!!

Well, now that I have my trust set up, I am thinking about building an SBR.

Please let me know what your opinions are about which lower receiver I should use for my first SBR build.

I am thinking about going with either an LMT, POF or Noveske, given their strong reputation, but I have heard varying opinions regarding some of the other brands such as RRA, Stag and Bushmaster. Does it really make a huge difference using one lower vs another?

Any and all comments welcome!!!

Thanks!!!

Abdon

To me it doesn't matter. There is no certain lower that is "better" for SBR registration than another. I would just stray away from cast lowers. Some folks have the mindset that an inexpensive (like the $95+/- Superior Arms lowers for example...good lowers too) lower is best for SBR status because if they are lost or stolen, it's cheaper to replace them & apply for another stamp for the already expensive NFA bug, whether it be for installing a RDIAS or SBR. I don't disagree with that mode of thought, but I've never paid more than $135for lower I've got on one of my SBR's vs some of the $190+ lowers folks are buying.

Just buy a lower you are partial to for the logo or previous good experience or good price & SBR away. Bear in mind that if you get a billet lower with the textured area forward of magwell, you will not be able to have your engraving in that area & it'll have to placed somewhere else. Most killers engrave on the front of the magwell, but that is totally a personal preference thing.

Abdon
09-02-07, 16:00
Does anyone know of any makers that sell lowers already as SBR's?
Just wondering if I can buy one already as an SBR so I don't have to go through the trouble of sending it to get engraved.

Thanks!!

Abdon

gunny
09-02-07, 16:07
You can buy a complete SBR already registered from most of the makers & transfered on a form 4, however, I don't know if anyone sells just a registered SBR lower. I'm no expert on it, I've just never seen it done that way. I buy my lowers & then register them on a form 1. You can buy a RR in lower form only & place any upper you wish on it, but that will cost you $10,000k+ plus the additional $200 like it would for a SBR.

C4IGrant
09-02-07, 16:20
I personally like to SBR lowers that have a caliber designation of "multi." This way you can run anything you want with the lower.

With that said, I like Sun Devil and POF lowers. On the forging side, I like Sabre Defence, ADS, Noveske and LMT.

C4

Don Robison
09-02-07, 18:08
Anyone ever use the Double Star receivers for an SBR? I'm going to buy 2-3 stripped receivers this week. I found Double Stars stripped for $99.
I don't have much experience with them. Just fired a build with one for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It seemed fine.

Aubrey
09-02-07, 18:57
Does anyone know of any makers that sell lowers already as SBR's?
Just wondering if I can buy one already as an SBR so I don't have to go through the trouble of sending it to get engraved.

Thanks!!

Abdon

John Noveske is selling registered lowers.

D-gin
09-02-07, 19:35
I personally like to SBR lowers that have a caliber designation of "multi." This way you can run anything you want with the lower.

With that said, I like Sun Devil and POF lowers. On the forging side, I like Sabre Defence, ADS, Noveske and LMT.

C4

Sorry for the off topic question but the way I'm reading your post am I to understand the if I have a stripped AR lower that I decide I want to convert to 9mm and use it for an SBR it has to say "multi" on it?

What is has 223 or 5.56mm already stamped on it?

I apologize as I'm not on the up and up with the NFA stuff.

gunny
09-03-07, 12:43
No. AFAIK, you still have list the caliber size you intend on using even if you're SBRing a "multi" marked lower. However, if you want to change to 6.8 or 9mm after you're approved for the stamp & it's not going to be your permanent caliber vs. what you listed on your form 1, then you're ok. The ATF just would like a courtesy letter if you are permanently changing cal's or bbl length, etc. so they can note in the registry.

C4IGrant
09-03-07, 13:15
No. AFAIK, you still have list the caliber size you intend on using even if you're SBRing a "multi" marked lower. However, if you want to change to 6.8 or 9mm after you're approved for the stamp & it's not going to be your permanent caliber vs. what you listed on your form 1, then you're ok. The ATF just would like a courtesy letter if you are permanently changing cal's or bbl length, etc. so they can note in the registry.

I have had customers put multi and gotten the form 1 approved. This saved them from having to later try and change the caliber.

This may have been a fluke, know of it happening several times now.

C4

Don Robison
09-03-07, 13:51
I have had customers put multi and gotten the form 1 approved. This saved them from having to later try and change the caliber.

This may have been a fluke, know of it happening several times now.

C4

I let you know how it works out. I was told by our local C3 dealer in the caliber block to list all of the calibers you wanted to use. The next form 1 I send in at the end of the month I'm going to list 9mm, .45 and 5.56.
He told me they wouldn't accept "multi" but would accept it if you listed each caliber. I figure I'll try it and see what happens.

C4IGrant
09-03-07, 15:21
I let you know how it works out. I was told by our local C3 dealer in the caliber block to list all of the calibers you wanted to use. The next form 1 I send in at the end of the month I'm going to list 9mm, .45 and 5.56.
He told me they wouldn't accept "multi" but would accept it if you listed each caliber. I figure I'll try it and see what happens.

Right. If your lower does say "multi" for caliber then you put that and then list the calibers you think you would use (9mm, .22, .223, 6.8, 300 whisper, etc).

Let me know how it goes for you.

C4

D-gin
09-04-07, 01:27

Alright, I understand that when you register a lower via your form 1 you have to list the intended caliber (s), Barrel length, overall length, etc but do you have to get the new caliber engraved on to your lower if the intended permanent caliber is different from the one that is already on the lower?

Right now I have a LMT lower that has 5.56 on it but if I was going to go ahead with the form 1 and make an sbr outta her I would probably go with 6.8 as the permanent caliber so what I'm wondering is would I need to have that put on the lower to go along with the rest of the stuff you have to already engrave or would I just put it on my form 1?

Just shoot me a PM so I don't cause anymore derailing from the original topic.