PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in back up sights

JMEL
01-31-11, 20:46
Just a general question. What's the best distance to sight my back up sights to? 25 yrds., 50 yrds, ?? What have you gone done.

JMEL

Redhat
01-31-11, 20:50
I recommend you check out the sticky at the top of this forum on "zeroes and trajectories"...good stuff there.

Russ D
01-31-11, 20:50
I use the 50 zero for everything. No reason to have to rethink new zeroes in the event you actually need BUIS.

JMEL
01-31-11, 21:07
I recommend you check out the sticky at the top of this forum on "zeroes and trajectories"...good stuff there.

Thanks for pointing that out. I saw that but thought it was for different loads and such.

JMEL

JMEL
01-31-11, 21:10
I use the 50 zero for everything. No reason to have to rethink new zeroes in the event you actually need BUIS.

I was leaning toward 50yrds as kind of a happy medium. With my eyes I figured any farther would be a waste of time.

JMEL

citizensoldier16
01-31-11, 21:31
Given you're a) shooting standard .mil ammo and b) have a 16" barrel, a 50-yard zero will also give you a 225-yard zero.

I acquired this chart a while ago from M4C. Positive numbers indicate inches above POA, negative numbers indicate inches below POA. I use the "16inch" column and have had pretty accurate results from my 16" carbine with Federal M193 (NATO) ammo.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/emtjmd216/m193ballisticchart-1.jpg

JMEL
01-31-11, 21:40
Given you're a) shooting standard .mil ammo and b) have a 16" barrel, a 50-yard zero will also give you a 225-yard zero.

I acquired this chart a while ago from M4C. Positive numbers indicate inches above POA, negative numbers indicate inches below POA. I use the "16inch" column and have had pretty accurate results from my 16" carbine with Federal M193 (NATO) ammo.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/emtjmd216/m193ballisticchart-1.jpg

To answer that yes and yes. That's a great little chart and one I will save. Thanks a ton for that.

JMEL

aflin
01-31-11, 22:18
It's really a personal thing to which distance we zero our irons to. For me, I like 100 meter zero.

Vegas
01-31-11, 23:20

Very cool info, just what I have been looking for, thanks!

Russ D
02-01-11, 09:38
The important thing the the 50 zero is knowing your 25 and 100 poi.

Hmac
02-01-11, 11:38
I like ballistics programs like iSnipe (for iPhone) or the many such programs on the interweb. Then you can enter your own ammo, your own height-over-bore, and your own muzzle velocity and chart or graph your own trajectory info. iSnipe is free IIRC.

tealio
02-01-11, 12:21
iSnipe is definitely not free. $8.99 from the app store.

Hmac, have you used the latest version? Would you recommend it at that price?

Hmac
02-01-11, 19:59
iSnipe is definitely not free. $8.99 from the app store.

Hmac, have you used the latest version? Would you recommend it at that price?

You're right...my mistake. I don't recall what I paid for it last spring.

It's not a program I use that much since I don't handload and pretty much use the same ammo brands all the time (other than shooting range issue and surplus for destruction). It accommodates far more information than I care to provide or need (wind, temp, humidity, elevation etc). I use it to help visualize trajectories when sighting in my rifles, but my shooting isn't ever for groups, it's for 8-inch gongs.

The new version looks nice, but again lots of stuff I don't need. I'd pay the $8.99 just to be able to have it with me at the range in case I need it, but otherwise I think a simple calculator such as is free at http://www.handloads.com/calc/ works really well for my simple needs.