PDA

View Full Version : Feeler thread: Interest in Universal Digital Backpacking Hammocks?

Travis B
01-31-11, 21:49
I've been throwing around the idea of making some Digital Camo hammocks to sell. They would be like a Hennessey hammock Survivor Series, except a lot cheaper and doesn't do the bottom entrance. It makes a pretty comfy chair, too, when you sit on the side of it.

I figured the Digital Camo would be a popular color to start, as well as Woodland Camo. I'm pretty sure it can pack into a sustainment pouch, if not smaller. They're rated for 250lbs, unless I get thicker material and it can support more. For the Digital Camo one it would have coyote para cord, no-see-um netting and straps and a Digital Camo rain tarp. I think I can produce them for $60-$100, depending on how much the materials cost me. Would anyone be interested if I started making a few? Maybe throw a discount to someone who did an extensive review on it.

If you would like to see any of the materials in different colors, let me know.

(Mods if there's a better place for this thread, please let me know)

Dave L.
02-01-11, 06:29
If you make it in Multi-Cam, it will most likely sell for that reason alone.

Do you have any links, pics, or diagrams of a prototype? Dudes are visual, and need pictures.

I would also consider using a material/design that allows for a person weighing up to 350lbs. as most survival types seem to be fat.

I have always like the idea of a survival hammock, but to camp in them is not my cup of tea.

HES
02-01-11, 14:51
I agree with Dave that you need to have some pics or sketches and that having it in MC would be a huge bonus. However I think that going over 250 might be a waste of material. Most in that category probably dont even go into the woods.

Travis B
02-01-11, 16:33
I've looked around for MultiCam but can't find anyone selling bulk material. I'll keep looking. If anyone knows of a supplier, please let me know.

Basically, the design will be derived from the Speer Hammock (http://www.speerhammocks.com/index.html) design. But no one offers military colors except for the old school jungle hammocks and the $250 Hennessey hammocks. Tents are either really expensive or really large to pack. Hammocks allow a smaller pack size, and set up really quickly. Most hammock backpackers find back relief from sleeping on the hard ground, less foot swelling from the slight upward angle and a more relaxing sleep being elevated.

Here's a picture of what it would resemble:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1954/hammock.jpg (http://img46.imageshack.us/i/hammock.jpg/)

I think the tarp should be a bit smaller, but larger than the Hennessey tarps, since you can use the tarps as an area under you can store your gear.

Like I mentioned it my first post, it would be my goal to fit it in at least a sustainment pouch, but hopefully something smaller. I have to agree with HES about the weight requirements. I could make different runs of >250lb-support hammocks, but initially it would be overkill for anyone under 250lbs.

I may order enough material to make one in ACU and see how it looks.

What are your recommendations for the colors of paracord, Velcro, webbing?

Dave L.
02-02-11, 04:45
Like I mentioned it my first post, it would be my goal to fit it in at least a sustainment pouch, but hopefully something smaller. I have to agree with HES about the weight requirements. I could make different runs of >250lb-support hammocks, but initially it would be overkill for anyone under 250lbs.

I basically meant that there are some big dudes out there who have their bail-out-bag ready for the collapse...they buy stuff just to put it in the BOB, not that they would ever use it except for setting it up in the back yard. Look at all the guys that take a Tactical Response AK class...same group.

I may order enough material to make one in ACU and see how it looks.

What are your recommendations for the colors of paracord, Velcro, webbing?

Please don't do ACU, that is the most worthless camo pattern ever conceived.

As far as Para Cord, Webbing, and Velcro, I would use either a brown or a green. Depends on what camo pattern you go with, Coyote Brown/Tan or OD/Foliage Green.

Iraq Ninja
02-02-11, 06:04
Don't try the ACU (UCP) since it is shit. Mulitcam or nothing :)

I got a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock in green. It is the double layer bottom version. Much better than my Hennesy hammock.

Hammocks are my default mode for sleeping in the bush these days.

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=49

Grunt Medic TXARNG
02-02-11, 06:47
IF you feel a burning desire to offer these in AUC to match issue gear, then the fasteners, paracord and webbing should all be in foliage green. Since AUC was developed as an urban camo pattern, however, making a hammock out of it seems counter-productive. Any of the good civilian patterns will work well - Realtree, Mossy Oak, even ASAT if you can find it.

Me, I pack a LuxuryLite cot - as the places I keep finding myself getting set to have damned few trees!

K.L. Davis
02-02-11, 11:11
This really should be in the EE, but it does deserve some exposure and discussion - hopefully you got some good feedback and folks that are interested can contact you on this.