PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an opinion on Rhino Holsters?

obucina
01-31-11, 21:57
Well, the Rhino Holster dude is local to me, I saw him at the gun show back in December...took his card, fondled the holsters, etc. I have an Ares Ranger belt on order and carry an LCP and am considering getting a G26 when Obama sends me some money from his stash.

Since I'm local he mentioned that if I wanted to do something custom, he could accommodate. What do you guys think of the design?
http://www.rhinoholsters.com/ver_2/

ghettomedic
01-31-11, 22:48
The more holsters I accumulate, the more I realize:

- Only a true IWB is concealable for me
- Spreading the weight out over a larger area on the belt helps with concealability and is more comfortable
- Quality costs
- Having a good belt is more important than anything

If you want to support this dude, go for it. I don't see how his design offers much that a Don Hume clip-on IWB doesn't, but that doesn't really matter if you're carrying an LCP or Glock 26; both are going to be concealable with almost any holster under almost any conditions.

02-01-11, 01:20
The guy was absolutely, positively obnoxious when i met him at the gun show.

Wouldnt shut up about how much better his product is than Raven Concealment, blah blah, blah...blah.

When i asked him WHY it was better he said two things.

First, he asked me if Raven's holsters were IWB.

Secondly, he said "well, mine is better because you dont have to wait 16 weeks."

I thought he was going to dive over his table and run after me when i said i wasnt interested.

If you want a good quality kydex product from a local manufacturer check these guys out:

www.caneandderby.com i believe they're in Pompano?

Im not usually one to disparage vendors, especially guys that are trying to develop new products but i hate car salesman style pitches at gun shows or stores.

Best of luck brother!

durus5995
02-01-11, 01:47
Its an interesting idea but, is the holster body leather? It seems to me that it would kind of hard to re holster if the holster is sitting between your belt and waist plus it would seem you would need a much larger belt. Personally outside of the waist band holsters do not conceal all that well for me.

I know I checked out the video on the site and I know that you are supposed to dress around the gun but, in the video it seems like the shirt he is wearing is just obnoxiously large for a guy his size. Personally that makes me wonder if the holster does not hold the gun in tight enough or not.

I know Raven has a long wait time for holsters but so does any other manufacture of high quality holsters. I guess that is what they call a clue.

PRDATOR
02-01-11, 08:50
Just from looking at the video of the Rhino, its nothing I'd want!!

Comp-tac, Raven, Kytac, 5shot leather, ect would be a WAY better deal.

obucina
02-01-11, 09:49
thanks for the input guy, I appreciate it. I did wonder about what seemed like a relatively small contact point for the belt. Ill take a look at the other ones that prdator mentioned.

thanks

Magsz
02-01-11, 11:13
LOL!

Apparently im not the only guy this gentleman ran after in an attempt to sell his product.

I too thought he was going to jump over the table as he fervently extolled the virtues of his product. I thought his eyes were going to pop out of his head.

Putting the owner to the side for a second.

That pull the dot snap design is terrible. Its just ASKING to come unhooked if a garment gets stuck on it. I dont think this guy has ever done any formal training or actually worked on drawing from a holster with a concealed firearm.

I would avoid these things like the plague.

operator81
02-01-11, 13:24
It looks like this guy took incorporated each of the negative attributes of OWB and IWB into his design. Why would you buy a holster that lacks the concealablity of IWB and lacks the comfort of OWB? Just seems silly to me, and that is without even starting on his use of a single loop to secure the holster. You can find an MTAC/CTAC, Comp-tac Paddle, Galco, Blade-tech, etc holster on Ebay for cheap with no wait to hold you over until you can get a Raven.

jamaicanj
10-20-11, 01:00
I bought one of these holsters from the maker at a gunshow. I've seen him at most of the shows and he has always been polite to me.

Holster is pretty comfy and I have no regrets so far with the purchase.

copforlife1013
01-23-12, 18:08
I was a law enforcement officer for 30 years in a major city. I did a fair share of under cover and plain clothes work, so I know a thing or two about concealed carry. This holster is Great! It conceals easily and is extremely comfortable. I bought one for my Glock 26 and liked it so much I just ordered another one for my trusty J Frame. I see alot of bashing going on, but take it from a guy that carried a concealed hand gun for a living. It's my choice for concealed carry.

zibby43
01-23-12, 20:55
I was a law enforcement officer for 30 years in a major city. I did a fair share of under cover and plain clothes work, so I know a thing or two about concealed carry. This holster is Great! It conceals easily and is extremely comfortable. I bought one for my Glock 26 and liked it so much I just ordered another one for my trusty J Frame. I see alot of bashing going on, but take it from a guy that carried a concealed hand gun for a living. It's my choice for concealed carry.

Suspicious first post is suspicious.

Only kidding.

skyugo
01-23-12, 22:20
The more holsters I accumulate, the more I realize:

- Only a true IWB is concealable for me
- Spreading the weight out over a larger area on the belt helps with concealability and is more comfortable
- Quality costs
- Having a good belt is more important than anything

If you want to support this dude, go for it. I don't see how his design offers much that a Don Hume clip-on IWB doesn't, but that doesn't really matter if you're carrying an LCP or Glock 26; both are going to be concealable with almost any holster under almost any conditions.

totally agree especially on the second point, holsters with 2 widely spaced hooks/loops is the way to go. you really want your gun not to rotate.