PDA

View Full Version : Critique my specs

NC Buckeye
01-31-11, 22:58
I am a very active lurker but I haven't posted too much.I am ordering my 1st AR next week and would love to have some critisim on what else I should think of.

I am not an "operator", a cop, former or future military. I am not highspeed nor am I low drag. I am a concealed carry holder, I train with pistols twice a month, and take annual courses. I currently shoot IDPA about 6 times a year and would consider 3-gun.

This rifle will not be for home defense. It's main purpose is to allow me to learn to run a AR pattern rifle, via courses and monthly/bi-weekly range use and to add to the Obama gun sales.

The range I have access to is an FOP range it has a 130 yd rifle range and a bay that would allow 3-gun style scenarios so movement would be common.

This is what I am planning...

BCM 14.5 in Mid Length with a DD Lite 12 in handguard w/ Pinned Battle Comp
DD Rail mounted Fixed front sight
Troy Rear FBS
Magpul CTR
BCM Lower
VCAS Sling
DD rail mounted QD Swivel
5 P Mags

I know I could build something cheaper and it would likely do me fine, but even with this I figure I could budget 1 week at USTC and another 2000 rds for the year.

What should I reconsider?

Quentin
02-01-11, 00:27
Well those are excellent components, NC. And a lot of guys are going with 14.5" middys now but I wonder if it's worth going through pinning the BC for what amounts to about 1" shorter barrel? I'd vote for a 16" middy with the LW profile barrel over a 14.5" gov't profile.

Iraqgunz
02-01-11, 02:09
It all sounds good. But, I would get a 16" rather than a pinned 14.5".

Dave L.
02-01-11, 03:03
It all sounds good. But, I would get a 16" rather than a pinned 14.5".

Indeed. Also, don't waste money on the CTR, buy the MOE version and save $50. The lack push-button swivels shouldn't be a deal breaker. Use the extra and get the padded VCAS sling.

rob_s
02-01-11, 05:32
Agree with the above. get the 16" as an only/first AR, and get the MOE instead of the CTR.

Personally, I'd skip the aftermarket stock and the rail system entirely. A Daniel Defense M4 rail has an MSRP of nearly $350 (https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/m4-rail/m4-railtm-12-0-rifle.html) and a Magpul CTR has an MSRP of nearly $100 (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG310/83). Combine the savings by skipping both and you can pick up one of the new Aimpoint Pro kits (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/01/21/aimpoint-patrol-optic-pro/), and an RDS is a FAR better investment than any rail system or stock.

amac
02-01-11, 06:37
Great choice of build. BCM makes excellent rifles. I just added a 14.5 with a pinned BC. I love it.

As for the CTR vs. MOE decision... Order both and return the one you can live without. I started with an MOE but couldn't stand the "wiggle" and play. That's why Magpul designed the extra locking lever on the CTR and ACS.

I agree with Rob S, go for a red dot scope. It will add to you enjoyment immensely! Congrats, shoot lots and stay safe.
:)

subzero
02-01-11, 06:55
An RDS is a much better investment than a rail. One of the new PROs, or a used M2/M3 in a quality mount can be had for around $450.

I disagree with some of the other posters in that I wouldn't spend the money on a MOE stock. What does it do that a regular M4 stock doesn't? Not much.

I would pop for MOE handguard over the regular ones though, as they allow easier attachment of a VFG or rails for lights.

rob_s
02-01-11, 07:50
I disagree with some of the other posters in that I wouldn't spend the money on a MOE stock. What does it do that a regular M4 stock doesn't? Not much.
I think most people were suggesting MOE>CTR rather than MOE>M4 necessarily.