PDA

View Full Version : Sellier and Bellot

Landchipper
02-01-11, 07:26
I have not seen anything about this ammunition.
As a nooby here I tried to search but found none.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
If I have missed a thread just point me in the
correct direction, thanks.

Ranger325
02-01-11, 12:45
Can't point you in a direction, but I can tell you I've shot alot of S&B over the years in many calibers, mostly .45ACP and .38 Spec. I've bought it when the prices are good and have not had any problems with it.
When using the brass for reloading, some have found the primer pockets to be tight. This has not been an issue for me and I've been pleased with it for handloads.
I say go for it............................ My 2 cents, FWIW.

TiroFijo
02-01-11, 13:41
I've fired thousands of S&B rounds in many calibers, no problems.

In handgun ammo, the primers are on the hard side (not good for reduced power mainsprings), and the primer pockets tight. Once you ream the pockets it is fine brass.

In rifle ammo, the brass is good quality but a bit on the hard side, develops cracks in the neck with 2-3 reloads.

jasonhgross
02-01-11, 14:30
YEARS ago I had FTF's in a Sig 239 with 9mm S&B due to the hard primers, but its 100% in my glock and likely 100% in the full size sigs.

Landchipper
02-02-11, 07:09

In handgun ammo, the primers are on the hard side (not good for reduced power mainsprings), and the primer pockets tight. Once you ream the pockets it is fine brass.

In rifle ammo, the brass is good quality but a bit on the hard side, develops cracks in the neck with 2-3 reloads.

Thanks a lot guys,
This is exactly what I had hoped to find out.
I think I will stick with the PMC for now and try others
a bit later once I get more familiar with my rifle.
I really appreciate your comments.

Ilove2shoot
02-02-11, 09:26
have had good luck with the brass and ammo in 7.62x25.

TY44934
02-02-11, 10:10
S&B brass is made to higher European standards.

The primer pockets are NOT "tight." The myth of the "tight" primer pocket comes from the supperior method of machining used by S&B:

-they actually machine out to spec each and every pocket, resulting in much higher precision. This process also leaves a sharply defined 90 degree edge on the pocket. That edge can catch on primers, causing them not to seat. Hence, the "tight" myth.

In contrast, US companies take the short cut of smashing the pocket into place with a crude punch. Examing the inside of a US-produced pistol case and compare it with an S&B case: the S&B is far more uniform.

S&B is the factory test-fire ammunition of CZ - maker of the original 75: the CZ-75 pistol.

Jake'sDad
02-02-11, 11:51
S&B is the factory test-fire ammunition of CZ - maker of the original 75: the CZ-75 pistol.

Might that have to do with both companies being located in the Czech Republic?

1_click_off
02-02-11, 14:45

Wonder if you annealed the brass after the first firing if it would last longer?

TiroFijo
02-02-11, 14:59
TY44934,

I have reloaded thousands of pistol rounds using S&B brass. The primer pockets ARE tight, they are still tight for a couple of reloads after chamfering the mouth, only reaming with the Dillon reamer cures them in the first try. This is not a problem (only for reloading), it is what it is.

Don't know about "higher european standards", I'm an engineer and cannot talk about things I don't know and cannot measure.

1-click-off, the rifle brass is good quality and uniform in weight, but the necks do seem to need more annealing. I don't do it because I don't have the equipment to do it properly and hate to "eyeball" such a critical component.

Bimmer
02-03-11, 10:49
Beware the 1980s vintage S&B .308/7.62NATO you'll see for sale — it's corrosive.

It's usually advertised as such, but not always, and usually not prominently.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any S&B produced since the 1990s, and I've shot quite a bit of it.