PDA

View Full Version : 5R Rifling ?? Opinions - Info

sr71plane
02-01-11, 08:51
Sorry if this has been talked about around here to the point of nauseum, but what is the deal on R5 rifling? I have found out that it was developed in Russia and the other typical info provided by a Google search. I did a search on this web site and little came up. Anyone here have opinions on it ??

40Arpent
02-01-11, 09:47
5 lands/grooves, righthand twist, instead of 4, 6 or 7, said to increase velocity, increase accuracy, better gas seal, reduce fouling/ease cleaning, etc. I have yet to see an actual apples-to-apples comparison that proves any of this out. And comparing a Rock 5R barrel to a factory 6-groove is far from apples-to-apples. Kreiger even so much as tells you that you won't notice a difference between their 5R and 6-groove match barrels. And I am not poo-poo'ing anyone's 5R barrels. I'd use one in a heartbeat if it came from a maker like Rock, Kreiger, etc.

MitchK
02-01-11, 10:53
IIRC There's more to it than just 5 lands/grooves. There is a different profile that is supposed to have untold benefits..

tylerw02
02-01-11, 10:55
IIRC, Krieger claims the difference is negligible, this coming after they started making them themselves.

Keith E.
02-01-11, 13:36
There is a different profile

IIRC from what I read the edges of the rifling are supposed to radiused instead of right angled.

Keith

40Arpent
02-01-11, 14:13
IIRC There's more to it than just 5 lands/grooves. There is a different profile that is supposed to have untold benefits..

Not all 5R barrels are done the same way. Some have a pretty traditional profile, some don't.

Talking about "untold benefits" is all a bunch of horseshit until someone can show the proof.