PDA

View Full Version : Three Strikes and You're Dead

BrianS
02-01-11, 16:01
It's hard to believe you could have a record like this piece of crap and still just get life in prison:

http://www.mynorthwest.com/category/local_news_articles/20110131/Corrections-officer-says-colleague's-murder-is-no-surprise/

My brother in law's brother works at this prison. Why the Hell should we keep people like this alive an in prison for the rest of their lives? Even the danger they represent to people that have to guard them is too much of a threat. You ought to receive the death penalty for 3 heinous violent felonies like the ones this guy committed.

telecustom
02-01-11, 16:25
Death penalty and a swift execution (like 30 days from sentencing)

Irish
02-01-11, 16:38
You ought to receive the death penalty for 3 heinous violent felonies like the ones this guy committed.

Why base our legal system and punishment on a ball game?

BrianS
02-01-11, 16:44

It's a play on words for the current system in WA which is life in prison after 3. Apparently his second violent felony was raping a woman, dousing her in gasoline and lighting her on fire. That would be a good candidate for the death penalty in my opinion, but I guess since she survived it's all good in our current system.

Irish
02-01-11, 17:02
I gotcha. Same "3 strikes and you're out" stupid shit in CA.

Proper punishment would be to rape him and set him on fire. I'm sure there are many in custody who would gladly accept the job.

kal
02-01-11, 17:13
I personally like the 3 strikes portion of the justice system for those non violent crimes where no human being is physically victimized in a malicious manner holy shit this is a long sentence.

Why get the book thrown at you just because you made a mistake during a hard time in your life?

Skyyr
02-01-11, 17:22
Why get the book thrown at you just because you made a mistake during a hard time in your life?

Because you chose to make it.

Iraqgunz
02-01-11, 17:28
I used to work at TRCC. I lost all faith in the prison system working there.

It's hard to believe you could have a record like this piece of crap and still just get life in prison:

http://www.mynorthwest.com/category/local_news_articles/20110131/Corrections-officer-says-colleague's-murder-is-no-surprise/

My brother in law's brother works at this prison. Why the Hell should we keep people like this alive an in prison for the rest of their lives? Even the danger they represent to people that have to guard them is too much of a threat. You ought to receive the death penalty for 3 heinous violent felonies like the ones this guy committed.

Belmont31R
02-01-11, 17:40
Ive argued many times the best thing we could do in this country is to either execute violent criminals, and keep most of the rest locked up for longer sentences or life. Im talking about crimes against others not crimes because we say it is type stuff.

Our criminal justice system now is a revolving door so dangerous people are let out to victimize others, serve a reduced term, and then go do it again. The rate of recidivism in most prisons is about 60-75%. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recidivism#Recidivism_rates

So we have a small portion of society committing the most crimes with a justice system that operates as a revolving door. It shouldn't take 3 serious criminal offenses against others to get life or execution.

woodandsteel
02-01-11, 17:44
Byron Scherf first attempted rape at age 19. He succeeded a few years later, dousing his victim that time with gasoline and lighting her on fire. Strike 3, another rape, was in 1995, two years after his release from prison. Three strikes is all you get in this state. Until Saturday night.

Why would anyone think an animal like this is worthy of medium security?

I'm a one strike person. Punish people for the crimes they commit. Not a sum total of felonies or misdemeanors, they committed in the past.

In a perfect world, Kidnapping and Rape would draw a dealth penalty. Or, at least a hole to live in for the rest of your life.

I could never work in corrections. Those officers are out there working in an environment with no real protection.

Suwannee Tim
02-01-11, 17:45
It is absolute ****ing madness to place a pretty woman guard alone anywhere there is contact with inmates. The prison administration is culpable for this death.

Iraqgunz
02-01-11, 18:07
Washington State believes that they can be rehabilitated (which is what prison was also supposed to do IIRC). Sex offenders are also incarcerated in Twin Rivers almost exclusively. I believe it is based off a variety of factors.

They don't want sex offenders being locked up in general population because of what happens to them.

Unfortunately the reality is that sex offenders (especially violent ones) have the highest rate of recidivism among all other types of inmates and they tend to be treated with kid gloves.

Reality is that they need to be tossed into a dungeon and fogotten about or put out all together.

Why would anyone think an animal like this is worthy of medium security?

I'm a one strike person. Punish people for the crimes they commit. Not a sum total of felonies or misdemeanors, they committed in the past.

In a perfect world, Kidnapping and Rape would draw a dealth penalty. Or, at least a hole to live in for the rest of your life.

I could never work in corrections. Those officers are out there working in an environment with no real protection.

Suwannee Tim
02-01-11, 19:03
There was a woman CO alone in the Duval County Jail Law Library last year, brutally raped by a surprise! brutal rapist! Who'd have thunk it?

SW-Shooter
02-01-11, 19:30
I'm still stuck on "my brother in law's brother".:confused:

RancidSumo
02-01-11, 20:01
In my opinion, those that are too dangerous to be allowed out in society should be killed and the rest should have to do something to repay those that they wronged. As it is, they just sit around and cost taxpayers about $25,000 per person per year. I'm not entirely convinced a prison system is necessary at all.

kal
02-01-11, 20:21

:haha:

I had to read that a couple of times to understand, then I lol'ed.

02-01-11, 20:32
The one thing I might agree with the Commies on is how they treated/treat certain types of prisoners. Bullet in the neck and on to the next scumbag.

GermanSynergy
02-01-11, 21:12
Export our worst prisoners to Russian jails in Siberia or hang them.

armakraut
02-01-11, 21:52
Hopefully he wont make it to trial.

mr_smiles
02-01-11, 21:55
We've done these before, and I agree with Irish, an eye for an eye but only after unequivocal proof of the peoples in question committed the crime they're to be punished for.

Also to punish the just is not good, nor to strike princes for equity. - Proverbs 17:26

And he said, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak
yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said,
I will not destroy it for ten's sake.
- Genesis 18:32

I can quote naturalist but I know that won't have the same impact here ;)

In the end we have presumption of innocence in our courts for a reason, man has a history of flogging innocent men for nothing more presumption of guilt (alive in well in this country).

Did the person in question commit the crimes? I have absolutely no idea nor do I care to know since I'm not here to judge him, hopefully those peers who do - will come to the just determination of his guilt or innocence and he'll be sentenced accordingly.

What I have a problem with is the supporting of a 3 strike law that can be a gross miscarriage of justice.

As discussed earlier, everyone on this board commits felonies with out even knowing they've done such a thing, many on the internet routinely break wiretapping laws with out even being aware.

It's not hard to break the law, and the only reason you're not in prison currently is because nobody has an interest in putting you there. If that time ever comes be assured you'll be found guilty of crimes you never knew you took part in.

BrianS
02-01-11, 23:44

Just trying to convey the fact that he isn't the guy who is married to my sister. I don't believe the brother of my brother in law is also my brother in law.

:o

If you thought that was bad somebody on this board once referred to "my brother in law's wife" and I was like... You mean your sister? LOL.

In my opinion, those that are too dangerous to be allowed out in society should be killed and the rest should have to do something to repay those that they wronged. As it is, they just sit around and cost taxpayers about $25,000 per person per year. I'm not entirely convinced a prison system is necessary at all.

I doubt it is only 25k a year per inmate in a state like this.

chadbag
02-02-11, 00:12
If you thought that was bad somebody on this board once referred to "my brother in law's wife" and I was like... You mean your sister? LOL.

Not to get on an aside, but many people routinely call all their spouse's siblings *-in-law. In other words, your wife's brother could be your brother-in-law and he does not need to be married to your sister! (though that does happen)

Redmanfms
02-02-11, 00:44
Export our worst prisoners to Russian jails in Siberia or hang them.

I'm glad cooler heads prevail.

The problem with the "**** 'em hard, they're crooks" approach is inevitable over-reach and misuse/abuse by .gov types. It's all beef and gravy until you get busted because you have a shotgun that is 1/8" too short or a cop finds an empty dope baggy left by the mechanic who last serviced your car (know somebody who got 4 years, 26 months suspended for just such a thing, ruined his life).

It's no accident half of the BoR is devoted to defense against criminal accusation.

Iraqgunz
02-02-11, 01:10
Give me a ****in' break. We are talking about raping, murdering POS that have been caught (essentially red handed) not someone who had an empty bag of pot in their car or a barrel 1/8" too short.

Although everyone is well aware of federal law so if you have a barrel lenghth that size you are an obvious moron.

Please do not come back with some other stupid "straw man" argument.

I'm glad cooler heads prevail.

The problem with the "**** 'em hard, they're crooks" approach is inevitable over-reach and misuse/abuse by .gov types. It's all beef and gravy until you get busted because you have a shotgun that is 1/8" too short or a cop finds an empty dope baggy left by the mechanic who last serviced your car (know somebody who got 4 years, 26 months suspended for just such a thing, ruined his life).

It's no accident half of the BoR is devoted to defense against criminal accusation.

Redmanfms
02-02-11, 01:34
Give me a ****in' break. We are talking about raping, murdering POS that have been caught (essentially red handed) not someone who had an empty bag of pot in their car or a barrel 1/8" too short.

Although everyone is well aware of federal law so if you have a barrel lenghth that size you are an obvious moron.

Please do not come back with some other stupid "straw man" argument.

Why are you a moderator?

I wasn't attacking any person in this thread, yet you call me a moron and stupid? Interesting.

Post reported.

Iraqgunz
02-02-11, 02:29
I wasn't calling YOU a moron. I was saying YOU in a generic way in my example of a moron having a barrel 1/8" too short. I also did not call you stupid. I said your argument is stupid which is something entirely different.

if you have an issue with my Moderator abilities or skills you can contact the staff and let them know.

Why are you a moderator?

I wasn't attacking any person in this thread, yet you call me a moron and stupid? Interesting.

Post reported.

SWATcop556
02-02-11, 07:39
Why are you a moderator?

Post reported.

I received your reported post and as IG stated he did not call you a moron. It was used as a term of generalization. He did not call you stupid. It was in reference to your argument. If you took it as a personal attack then you misunderstood, which is not his fault. He was being blunt which all of us are.

You are welcome to take this up with staff but they will back the decision made. Thick skin is needed on the Internet where much about a persons tone is inferred. If that doesn't suit your liking you are welcome to not participate in the conversation.

A response in this thread is not necessary but you are welcome to PM me or site staff. Either way this issue is closed.

Suwannee Tim
02-02-11, 11:46
..... you are an obvious moron.

This is an unequivocal personal attack.

ShortytheFirefighter
02-02-11, 11:58
Only when you leave the rest of what he was saying out of it. Taken in context, it's pretty clear he wasn't insulting the poster.

Suwannee Tim
02-02-11, 12:03
There is here, no context that separates "you are an obvious moron" from personal attack. It is a blatant and obvious personal attack. Iraqgunz caled Redmanfms a moron, that is a personal attack and it is a fact. A fact. You are entitled to your own opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts.

chadbag
02-02-11, 12:24
There is here, no context that separates "you are an obvious moron" from personal attack. It is a blatant and obvious personal attack. Iraqgunz caled Redmanfms a moron, that is a personal attack and it is a fact. A fact. You are entitled to your own opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts.

I am sorry, but the English language disagrees with you.

"Although everyone is well aware of federal law so if you have a barrel lenghth that size you are an obvious moron."

is the sentence in question. It is very clear according to English grammar rules, that 'you are an obvious moron" belongs to the condition "if you have a barrel length of that size." Unless redmanfms indeed does have a barrel length that long, he is obviously not the target of the "you are an obvious moron" clause. And if he does have a barrel length that long, knowingly, he is a moron. Truth is the ultimate defense.

Zhurdan
02-02-11, 12:25
Sorry.

John_Wayne777
02-02-11, 12:53
Exactly what part of "the issue is closed" is difficult for some of you to understand?

There was no personal attack. It's over. Continuing to whine about it will result in an involuntary vacation from the site.

ShortytheFirefighter
02-02-11, 13:04
Oops.

Deleted post after seeing the last mod post.

RancidSumo
02-02-11, 13:08
ANYWAY, how about we stop this thread from continuing down its current retarded path and get it back on topic.

I doubt it is only 25k a year per inmate in a state like this.

I was using a number from L. H. Rockwell in 2008 so it may very well be off but if it is I'd say it is a low ball estimate.

variablebinary
02-02-11, 13:23
Turn repeat offenders into soylent green.

armakraut
02-02-11, 21:44
Soylent Green is repeat offenders!

cop1211
02-03-11, 01:24
Only in America!!! If you would poll 100 people 99 out of 100 would say execute quickly, these types of dirtbags THE FIRST offense.

Again, thank God for liberals.:rolleyes:

Take a look at the criminal records/lack of prison time for the scumbags that killed the officers in Miami and St. Pete.

Unbelievable.

Redmanfms
02-03-11, 06:44

Re-reading his post he was not directly insulting me. His post is somewhat immoderate, but he wasn't insulting me. I was tired and "read" the post to have a comma in the sentence in question when one simply wasn't there and as such inferred (incorrectly) it to be an insult.

The issue is closed.

I disagree with his opinions on criminal law though, as do the Founders.

Redmanfms
02-03-11, 06:46
Only in America!!! If you would poll 100 people 99 out of 100 would say execute quickly, these types of dirtbags THE FIRST offense.

Again, thank God for liberals.:rolleyes:

Take a look at the criminal records/lack of prison time for the scumbags that killed the officers in Miami and St. Pete.

Unbelievable.

Republics aren't mob rule. America was designed that way for a reason. Even heinous criminals have the same rights everyone else does.

The_War_Wagon
02-03-11, 06:51
Death penalty and a swift execution (like 30 MINUTES from sentencing)

Fixed it for ya'.

Summary sentence to be carried out upon pronouncement. Baliff, string a rope. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent101.gif

Mjolnir
02-03-11, 16:44
Hell, I'm from South Louisiana, "Choot 'em, choot 'em!"

cop1211
02-03-11, 21:46
Republics aren't mob rule. America was designed that way for a reason. Even heinous criminals have the same rights everyone else does.

When you choose to become a" heinous criminal," you forfeit those rights.

Mjolnir
02-03-11, 22:10
When you choose to become a" heinous criminal," you forfeit those rights.

No you don't. Once they are convicted of the crime they are sentenced to whatever is deemed appropriate and within the sentencing guidelines. And, yes, I've had loved ones murdered and I wished the perp to go thru the system; no short cuts.

cop1211
02-03-11, 23:25
The problem is the guidelines and time served are a joke.

The death penalty should be applied in alot more cases. It should not take decades for it to be applied.

Also if you are told that upon a third felony conviction, it will result in the death penalty, if you go out and commit a third felony, so be it.

Stop giving the criminals the "rights" and protect society.

Better yet bring back the old west style of justice.

Palmguy
02-04-11, 06:06
The problem is the guidelines and time served are a joke.

The death penalty should be applied in alot more cases. It should not take decades for it to be applied.

Also if you are told that upon a third felony conviction, it will result in the death penalty, if you go out and commit a third felony, so be it.

Stop giving the criminals the "rights" and protect society.

Equally a problem then would be what is considered a felony. You've probably committed several in your life. Everyone probably has.

For violent felonies, I certainly tend to agree with you.

mr_smiles
02-04-11, 07:36

I'm sure woman would love that ;) Nothing like being out valued by a horse.

armakraut
02-04-11, 07:36
Repeat customers are the problem. Put them on death row after they light someone they rape on fire, or put them on death row two more rapes and one dead CO later. If he had been sentenced to death the first time there would be no negative effects, he'd be dead, and some decent people wouldn't have had to suffer.

Armed robbery
Rape
Heinous assault
Murder

People who do these things shouldn't be breathing, much less getting less time than for some federal crimes where literally no one was hurt physically or financially (IE gun laws).

armakraut
02-04-11, 07:49
I'm sure woman would love that ;) Nothing like being out valued by a horse.

Feminism greatly improved the conditions of women, not only are they less well off financially than their mothers and grandmothers, but you can also light them on fire and apparently not get in too much trouble.

God bless social progress, should we survive it.

skyugo
02-04-11, 12:46
i don't trust the government with my guns but have no problem giving the legal system the authority to form a lynch mob. :no:

kal
02-04-11, 14:17
Armed robbery
Rape
Heinous assault
Murder

People who do these things shouldn't be breathing

OK but what the father who has kids to feed and then loses his job because of a shitty, unethical boss, and ends up killing the boss out of rage because of the burden the jobless father has.

I can't say I would treat him the same as a guy who robs and kills some old lady.

mr_smiles
02-04-11, 15:08
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/wrongly-convicted-man-stays-positive-24078352

We should have killed this worthless piece of shit :mad:

Because we all trust government workers to do the right thing, that's why the DMV is so grand. But yeah lets kill people because we think they did something because we have these gut feelings and we're all hardcore face shooters.

skyugo
02-04-11, 15:20
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/wrongly-convicted-man-stays-positive-24078352

We should have killed this worthless piece of shit :mad:

Because we all trust government workers to do the right thing, that's why the DMV is so grand. But yeah lets kill people because we think they did something because we have these gut feelings and we're all hardcore face shooters.

exactly..
your safety and your family's safety is ultimately your responsibility. there is no punishment for the guilty that can bring back the innocent.

kal
02-04-11, 16:27
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749...itive-24078352

38 mother****ing years. :mad:

This guys needs a million dollars for every year served. All in one lump sum.

mr_smiles
02-04-11, 17:07
38 mother****ing years. :mad:

This guys needs a million dollars for every year served. All in one lump sum.

Any one involved in his prosecution needs to see 38 years of a prison.

BrianS
02-05-11, 17:40

Apples and oranges to take some kid wrongfully accused of a single incident and compare it to a person with multiple violent felony convictions.

mr_smiles
02-05-11, 18:44
Apples and oranges to take some kid wrongfully accused of a single incident and compare it to a person with multiple violent felony convictions.

Are you reading the same thread as me? And we've executed people in this country accused of numerous serious crimes only to be exonerated posthumous when new evidence has come to light.

Again, supporting the death of an innocent man makes you an accomplice in his murder. Even if it's sponsored by the state. You can use all the flawed justifications you wish, but in the end it is what it is.

As I've said earlier, I have no opinion on the person originally discussed in this thread.

I'm simply responding to the cries that we should kill everyone bs. I guess it's my job being the so called "liberal" because I prefer not to make a critical viewpoint based on raw emotion.

Who doesn't want to see some one accused of murder taken out back and shot? The question is how can you be sure the guilt of the person is unequivocal instead of equivocal, because the killing of and innocent person is the very reason we judge them and we would be committing the same crime to judge them wrongly. And this has happened more times than will ever be known, because the environment of our judicial system is for a prosecutor to convict no matter the guilt as their reputation and job requires them to do so.

ETA: conceptualizing my opinion to written form isn't something I excel at.

Safetyhit
02-05-11, 20:57

I think it's more of a common sense analogy. Figure "Enough is enough".

skyugo
02-06-11, 03:27
there's very little evidence that the death penalty actually deters criminals. If you're willing to commit a capital crime you either don't think you'll get caught, or don't care what happens to you.
empowering citizens to defend themselves on the other hand can stop these sorts of crimes before they happen.
it sounds like the prison in the original post needs some serious rethinking of their security.

SWATcop556
02-06-11, 09:25
Mr. Smiles can you provide some documentation where a convicted death row inmate was executed then posthumously exonerated?

Only time I remember that happening was in The Life of David Gale with Kevin Spacey but maybe I missed the story.

mr_smiles
02-06-11, 09:48
Mr. Smiles can you provide some documentation where a convicted death row inmate was executed then posthumously exonerated?

Only time I remember that happening was in The Life of David Gale with Kevin Spacey but maybe I missed the story.

Right off the top of my head Cameron Willingham, was accused of killing his children in a house fire, however in 2009 after he was executed in 2004 the state of Texas found no scientific evidence to support the claim made earlier by the expert witness.

Was he guilty, who knows the mans dead now. But we do know the evidence used to convince him was bullshit.

RancidSumo
02-06-11, 22:04
OK but what the father who has kids to feed and then loses his job because of a shitty, unethical boss, and ends up killing the boss out of rage because of the burden the jobless father has.

I can't say I would treat him the same as a guy who robs and kills some old lady.

I would.

John_Wayne777
02-07-11, 06:52
I think it's more of a common sense analogy. Figure "Enough is enough".

Precisely.

The overwhelming majority of the most serious crimes perpetrated in our nation are perpetrated by a relatively small percentage of criminals who have made it a lifestyle. If you look up the statistics you'll generally find that the average murderer has committed several other violent crimes in the past, generally having been convicted or plead out on at least a percentage of them.

The "three strikes" type laws are an attempt to deal with the revolving door that keeps letting these violent sociopaths and career criminals back out on the street where they keep victimizing the law abiding public.

cop1211
02-08-11, 00:01
Precisely.

The overwhelming majority of the most serious crimes perpetrated in our nation are perpetrated by a relatively small percentage of criminals who have made it a lifestyle. If you look up the statistics you'll generally find that the average murderer has committed several other violent crimes in the past, generally having been convicted or plead out on at least a percentage of them.

The "three strikes" type laws are an attempt to deal with the revolving door that keeps letting these violent sociopaths and career criminals back out on the street where they keep victimizing the law abiding public.

Exactly. But instead of the taxpayers having to pay for a "life" sentence, it should be a death sentence ,carried out no more than 1 year from the third conviction.