PDA

View Full Version : Red Back 1 - Tactical Carbine - 30-31 March 2011 - Okanogan WA

Scimitar2
02-02-11, 00:50
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8358/screenhunter04feb012150.gif

Course Length: 2 Days

Dates: 30 – 31 March 2011

Host: Okanogan Co Sheriff’s Department

Location: OCSO department range – 200 B&O Okanogan WA 98840 – You will receive specific directions upon registration

Tuition: $400

Description:
The two day Tactical Carbine course is specifically designed to develop the shooter’s mastery of the fundamentals and core skills with both the pistol and carbine. Students will learn how to reduce reaction time, increase speed presenting the carbine from the high and low ready and decrease set time shot to shot. Specific drills on recoil management will allow the shooter to quickly engage targets with multiple rounds increasing overall effectiveness. The course will balance speed with efficiency and accuracy through repetition to ensure that each student reaches a proficient standard. As with all RB 1 courses, this course will focus on two key aspectsof combat marksmanship: weapon handling skills and marksmanship fundamentals.

Course Objective:
-Fundamentals brief
-Core skills assessment
-Ready positions
-High and low percentage targets
-Presentation time and set time
-Enhancing the draw
-Diagnostic assessments
-Multiple targets
-IA’s and stoppages
-Combat and tactical reloads
-Transitioning to pistol
-Turns and pivots
-Shooting on the move
-Combat sight picture
-Recoil management
-Target priority
-Use of cover
-Final evaluation and assessment

Student Prerequisites:

Equipment required:
-Positive, winning attitude
-Zeroed carbine with 5 magazines (minimum), mounted white light, sling and mag pouches
-Handgun with 3 magazines (minimum), holster and mag pouches
-300 rounds handgun ammunition
-1000 rounds carbine ammunition
-Hand held white light
-Eye and ear protection (electronic type preferred)
-Gloves
-Knee and elbow pads
-Hat or other headgear
-Weather appropriate clothing
-Pen and notepad
-Adequate personal water supply and food for lunch and snacks

For additional information contact:
swolak@co.okanogan.wa.us

To Register:
http://www.redbackone.com/course-application

Scimitar2
03-17-11, 01:56
We are two weeks out and have some seats to fill. Do not miss out on Jason's first trip to the Pac NW!

Scimitar2
03-22-11, 01:47
We are one week out from kicking off the training season in NCW with RB1. The OCSO range is a hidden gem for this type of training. We will be running a low / no light component to the course. Reduced rate lodging is available for anyone coming in from out of town. If you want a slot, get ahold of me ASAP!

Redback One
04-02-11, 11:41
Thanks to all of our students who attended and special thanks to Stefan Wolak for arranging to have RB1 in Okanogan as well as thanks to the Okanogan Sherriff's Office for use of their range; great facility! Also, thanks to Jason Falla for putting on another successful course, awesome job!

To check out some photos of the course, please follow the link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=212379502105664&id=201698463173768&aid=57736

Redback One
04-28-11, 19:57
First off, thank you very much for the chance to attend the 2 Day Carbine Class (March 30-31) in Okanogan, WA. Thanks for making room for me, and thanks for getting me into class despite the mix-ups on our end.

It was an excellent course, with the most realistic and challenging assessment and quals I’ve had in any class. This was really top-notch training.

My agency is tiny (three at full strength), with a correspondingly small budget, on top of which we lost a third of our budget for this year. We don’t get to go to this type of training very often, and I really appreciate the chance to come and train with you.

All of the drills/assessments/quals were challenging, but not frustrating or unattainable. I really had to think and work at all of the drills and material presented. Nothing was overly simplified, and nothing was too difficult to achieve (with some work and practice). It was enough to keep me continually challenged, but not so far out of reach to be frustrating. It definitely pushed me to and pointed out my limitations, and highlighted where I need to put in some extra work.

Jason did an outstanding job of presenting the course material. He seemed to use a “tell-show-do” model for instructing. His explanations for the why and how behind the drills, coupled with the practical demonstrations really did an excellent job of driving the reason and method for the drills home.

I really don’t have any suggestions or recommendations on how the course could be made any better. It would have been nice to have an extra day to get in more dry practice, followed up with more live repetition, but a three day format is harder for most people to attend than a two day.

Stefan and I compared notes (he was at the Pistol class, I was at the Rifle) and we were both really impressed with the organization, material, and presentation for both classes. We both had similar “Aha” moments relating to the use of port-arms for a ready position. We also both agreed that the turns Jason taught were very useful and quite a bit faster than what we have trained before. It will take a little getting used to and practice before either of us can really get up to speed on them.

I really got a lot out of the cadence drills and the high percentage/low percentage multiple target drills. I have seen those ideas presented before, but the way Jason presented and combined them, it finally came together for me (at least in theory, it will take some more repetition before I can make it work in my head and hands at the same time).

Jason put on what was probably the best organized training course I’ve ever been to. The curriculum went through a very logical progression, skills built on skills, in a very well thought out and logical order.

I didn’t get to attend the pistol course that went on for the two days before the rifle class, but even without attending the pistol course, I could see how the rifle skill-set Jason presented/instructed will transfer and overlap to the pistol skill-set.

Thanks again, I wanted you both to know how much I appreciated the chance to come and train with you, and what a professional job Jason did in presenting the material.

Thanks -Ty Sheehan officer