http://borepatch.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-am-tjic.html

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22I+am+tjic%22

Littlelebowski
02-02-11, 08:52
Come on man, post a summary at least.

Rmplstlskn
02-02-11, 08:53
Legal, but STUPID!

Evidence #1: A gun & liberty proponent who lives in Massachusetts...

Evidence #2: Makes a stupid comment that he should have known would bring him heat in MA...

I hope he learns from this...

Rmpl

montanadave
02-02-11, 08:58
While I would never deny a fellow citizen the right to be an insensitive douchebag, I see no necessity to identify myself with him.

carbinero
02-02-11, 09:16
"Last week, law enforcement officials in Arlington, Massachusetts seized the (legally owned) guns of Travis Corcoran, a blogger and owner of an online comic book store. They also revoked Corcoran's gun permit. They were responding to posts on Corcoran's blog, TJICistan, put up shortly after the Tucscon shootings which could be interpreted as a threat against members of Congress. (Corcoran's blog is no longer online.) In particular, Corcoran posted the phrase "1 down, 534 to go," ..."

montanadave
02-02-11, 09:23
"Last week, law enforcement officials in Arlington, Massachusetts seized the (legally owned) guns of Travis Corcoran, a blogger and owner of an online comic book store. They also revoked Corcoran's gun permit. They were responding to posts on Corcoran's blog, TJICistan, put up shortly after the Tucscon shootings which could be interpreted as a threat against members of Congress. (Corcoran's blog is no longer online.) In particular, Corcoran posted the phrase "1 down, 534 to go," ..."

This summary neglected to include the particular phrase which likely drew the attention of authorities, that being:

"It is absolutely, absolutely unacceptable to shoot 'indiscriminately'.

Target only politicians and their staff, and leave regular citizens alone.

Please!"

Given the prevailing sentiment following the tragedy in Tucson, a singularly irresponsible comment to post on a blog.

HES
02-02-11, 09:25
Come on man, post a summary at least.

For those that don't know:

This deals with a blogger and owner of an online comic book store who after the Tucson shooting made posts like "1 down, 534 to go" and " It is absolutely, absolutely unacceptable to shoot "indiscriminately". Target only politicians and their staff, and leave regular citizens alone. Please!" on his blog. He then posted that he was making those statements in humor. So he was being crass and insensitive and his timing sucked. He also posted his political beliefs and made a statement supporting the idea of armed resistance and revolution, citing the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising as an example. As a counter point he states clearly that political assassination is unacceptable.

He is also a resident of Massachusetts and owned firearms. I put that in the past tense because after seeing those posts the authorities in MA decided to confiscate his firearms and revoke his ownership permit.

So for doing nothing illegal but for being mouthy his rights (freedom of speech, firearms ownership, property rights) have been violated.

Bubba FAL
02-02-11, 12:56
For those that don't know:

This deals with a blogger and owner of an online comic book store who after the Tucson shooting made posts like "1 down, 534 to go" and " It is absolutely, absolutely unacceptable to shoot "indiscriminately". Target only politicians and their staff, and leave regular citizens alone. Please!" on his blog. He then posted that he was making those statements in humor. So he was being crass and insensitive and his timing sucked. He also posted his political beliefs and made a statement supporting the idea of armed resistance and revolution, citing the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising as an example. As a counter point he states clearly that political assassination is unacceptable.

He is also a resident of Massachusetts and owned firearms. I put that in the past tense because after seeing those posts the authorities in MA decided to confiscate his firearms and revoke his ownership permit.

So for doing nothing illegal but for being mouthy his rights (freedom of speech, firearms ownership, property rights) have been violated.

I disagree about his freedom of speech being violated. In our legal system, Freedom of Speech only extends to the point of making direct public threats, at which time it becomes a crime.

John_Wayne777
02-02-11, 13:01
The complaints seem to be centered on the actions of law enforcement in response to the guy's blog post...and we have a rule about law enforcement threads.