PDA

View Full Version : Bullet performance

Beendare
02-02-11, 11:12
Pardon my ignorance but from a hunters perspective; I can somewhat get my arms around the semi jacketed [read; mushrooming] larger caliber hunting bullets.

The 556/223 bullet appears to be an altogether different animal. What is the military's intended effect of some of these bullets? It would not seem to be stopping power without the mushroom. Logically you want to take the other guy out of the fight but it seems like there would be a lot of through and throughs with the bullet designs I see.

Is there a .223 round designed for "stopping power"?

SkyPup
02-02-11, 11:21
Is there a .223 round designed for "stopping power"?

Any .223 round that severs the central nervous system due to proper bullet placement has absolute "stopping power."

Eric D.
02-02-11, 11:22
Try looking here:

http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Beendare
02-02-11, 11:38
Good link Eric- thanks, my "Bullet" searches did not turn that up.....

arizonaranchman
02-02-11, 19:28
The FMJ bullet design was not chosen for it's optimal performance in small arms for the military. It's mandated by rules of warfare basically. Some moron years ago decided a soft pointed bullet was just too horrible to allow on the battlefield, so we're stuck with FMJ depsite it's woefully poor performance compared to just about any other bullet design. This is the same battlefield you can blow someone to bits with a grenade or rocket, but a soft pointed bullet is just too dreadful to consider.

tpd223
02-02-11, 23:04
but it seems like there would be a lot of through and throughs with the bullet designs I see.

You say this like its a bad thing.

Beendare
02-02-11, 23:45
You say this like its a bad thing.

I say it from a hunting perspective. I only want a T&T with my BH tipped arrow.

I never would have posed the question if I knew the "Ammo" forum existed vs. doing a bullet search in the Tech and general forums

Arizona essentially posted a confirmation of what I assumed to be correct.

tpd223
02-03-11, 23:18
Specifically from a hunting perspective, two holes are better than one IMHO. This insures that your bullet penetrated enough, and generally gives a better blood trail if you need to do any tracking.

For military combat use my opinion would be the same.

For self defense or CONUS LE work my opinion varies. I would likely not choose the same ammo to do a dope raid that I would want in my carbine during a felony car stop.

Beendare
02-04-11, 18:07
I will freely admit that my expertise is more with a broadhead than a bullet .....but that last comment doesn't seem right to me.

Not unless you can get those Hajii's to line up for ya anyways...