PDA

View Full Version : food storage temperature

hatidua
02-02-11, 13:16
In light of my thermometer reading lower than I've seen it before (-16* this morning), I'm curious if storing things like dried beans in an unheated storage room does any harm to those dried items when it gets FAR below freezing? Any insight would be great :)

02-04-11, 14:33
As long as they are stored in airtight containers to prevent burn, they should be fine.

hatidua
02-04-11, 17:43
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

dschflier
07-24-11, 20:50
I put some of my 5 gallon buckets of wheat in my un heated garage. It has been very hot in their. I am thinking of bringing them in. What effect will heat have on the storage? Anyone know.

Moose-Knuckle
07-26-11, 20:40
Non-perishable items usually sit in non-climate controlled warehouses, rail cars, and truck trailers for long periods while in transit. If there is a sudden change in tempature there could be a concern for condensation.

ApacheTactical
07-26-11, 21:13
I put some of my 5 gallon buckets of wheat in my un heated garage. It has been very hot in their. I am thinking of bringing them in. What effect will heat have on the storage? Anyone know.

Heat is not good you need to move your stored food in a cool place that runs a steady temp year around. Celler or basement if you have one.

dschflier
07-27-11, 01:18
I will be moving them into the house. It has been very hot I hope the stuff isnt destroyed. I think I will open one of the buckets to check out the contents.