PDA

View Full Version : Propper digital "MARPAT" cammies?

wild_wild_wes
09-02-07, 22:50
Anyone have experience with these?

Even though I'm a former Marine, I don't want to ruffle the feathers on any exitable jarhead by wearing the beloved EGA. Plus, the Propper digis are way cheaper than genuine MARPAT, and easier to get.

But on the Brigade Quartermaster page where they sell these, some of the Comments by buyers say the fabric dye tends to fade easily. Can anyone cooberate this?

gunny
09-03-07, 12:32
I'm not sure what you mean by propper digi's. I got out of the Corps when woodland's were still the issue. Since then I've purchased Tru-Spec desert & woodland digi trousers from Galls & they seem to be of good quality so far. They haven't faded much at all after moderate use the last two years, but I said moderate use. Dunno how they'll hold up after weekly use. I use them for range & training days at my dept. I can only assume you're gonna have a hard time getting Corps issue MARPATs since they haven't been in the supply but a few years.

Note: If you are an honorably discharged Marine during time of war, you can still wear the appropriate uniform with EGA & highest rank obtained as long as it's not while participating in a protest against our gov't. Of course, if you're just wanting to wear digi's, the same uniform regs apply to you that are in effect for active duty...which means no untility uniform or PT gear should be worn in public.

wild_wild_wes
09-03-07, 14:33
These are cut in ACU style, and are made of 65% polyester/35% cotton twill.

http://uscav.com/prodinfo/enlarged/25192L.jpg

Looks good.

Don Robison
09-03-07, 14:46
I haven't worn the digi cam, but I've had other propper items and they seem hit or miss. Some were very good material, others faded quicker than the brakes on 63 Rambler.

sproc
09-03-07, 18:25
Regarding fading, I have heard many complains about the Tru-Specs, and not so many about the Proppers. I have the Proppers and really like the ACU cut, esp. the mandarin collar. I consider them just as good as the genuine MARPATs I have. But my sample size of 1 is hardly conclusive; it's very well possible that the civilian Proppers vary in quality. Keep in mind, though, that the two companies that make genuine MARPAT are Propper and American Apparel.

Joseywales
09-04-07, 19:24
I have purchase ACU from LA Police Gear and 5.11 from the same site.
Both are good quality. The traditional BDU don't fit as well as the 5.11 BDUs.

wild_wild_wes
09-04-07, 22:47
CORRECTION: the pic above is from the US CAV website, and it shows the TruSpec they sell. The complaints about fading were also about the TruSpecs.

The Propper digi cammies are much closer to ACU cut (with Mandarin collar) but without features such as the patch velcro on the shoulder pockets.

Unfortunatly, the pics of the Propper ACU on bdu.com are just "simulations"...they show the same blouse for all three versions (Woodland, Desert, Urban) colored in Photoshop or something...I'd like to see what the real thing looks like before I buy.

TUNNEL RAT 33
09-05-07, 23:41
i have a pair of the woodland digi 's . there is no EGA on them .

Striker5
09-06-07, 07:02
Actual MARPAT, unless their is some drug deal between Propper and Uncle Sam, actually has little EGA's as part of the pattern on the fabric. In a speech by then-Commandant General Jones, he said the USMC had a patent on the pattern. This probably means the non-DoD stuff has no EGA (big or little) and our stuff does.

Extra pockets good, better pattern good, not ripstop bad.

If you want genuine MARPAT, Saigon Sam's etc is starting to stock them from guys getting out or going UA (when they need enough money for water and a small fry).