PDA

View Full Version : Are The Gen 4 Glock .40's Considered A Good Platform?

KCabbage
02-02-11, 18:57
Doc as well as other highly experienced individuals have said that if a .40's what you want you'd be better served by a HK or M&P. Are new Gen 4 .40's considered more durable and reliable?

skyugo
02-02-11, 19:27
I think the gen 4 is generally considered to be an improvement on the gen 3 40 cal's. I'm not sure exactly how they stack up against the M&P and HK offerings.

PRDATOR
02-02-11, 19:34
From my limited experience with the 4th Gen's in .40 I would say they are good to go! I have 5 of the 4th gen .40's G23, G22(2) and G35(2)
I've put about 3000 rounds though one of the Early G22's and it has not had an issue that was not the Ammo's fault ( my reloads).

The G35's are the best shooting .40's I've ever shot.

It's not apples to apples but In Tom Givens Instructor this last Oct the OHP had a T&E M&P in 357 sig, they shot it and my 4th gen G22 and they all liked the G22 better!!

Business_Casual
02-02-11, 19:49
Re-hashing what they said and then posting it as a question?

B_C

usmcvet
02-02-11, 20:26
We have 9 G22's and 4 G27's at work they're all ten 3 guns and they've run 100. Four are higher round count guns with 3000+ rounds the 27's and the rest of the 22's are lower 1500+ round guns. I have read about concerns but haven't seen any issues its one of the most popular duty guns here in VT followed by Sig.

KCabbage
02-03-11, 07:58
Re-hashing what they said and then posting it as a question?

B_C

I wasn't sure if that included the Gen 4's smart guy.

DHart
02-03-11, 22:36
I have a G23 Gen 3, M&P40C, and M&P40. I'm not a fan of the G23 Gen 3, simply because I don't like how the caliber feels in that gun. The M&P40 and 40C both shoot softer than the G23 Gen 3. But I much prefer the Glock grip.

The Gen 4 models are a different animal entirely with a much improved Glock grip that offers amazing traction, a dual recoil spring which softens felt recoil and reduces muzzle rise, and all indications are that they do shoot softer then the Gen 3 Glocks.

As for the M&P grip, it is nicely sculpted to the hand and at first handling them, they feel really nice. But in shooting, I much prefer the Glock grip which is more stable in my hand. The Gen 4 grips lock into your hand with fantastic traction. I find the M&P grip as sculpted as it is to be too slippery. It would be great if S&W offered their grip with more bite, like the Gen 4 has done.

You wont' go wrong with the M&P40, but if you like Glocks, I'd give very serious consideration to the Gen 4 Glock .40s... reports from the field on the latest G22 Gen 4s are almost universally very positive. I think Glock now has the G22 as it should be with the Gen 4 changes. I like my M&P40, but the G22 Gen 4 will find a way to me one of these days.

Littlelebowski
02-10-11, 13:52
If you searched this site a bit, you'd find out that the Gen4 40s are fine. You'd also find out that the Gen4 changes were wrought in order to fix problems with .40 Glocks and WMLs (weapons mounted lights).

The overwhelming majority of the problems that were seen with Gen4 Glocks were with 9mms. I know, I was one of the first to report these problems which ended up going away with break in.

rauchman
02-14-11, 10:19
I have an M&P40F and a Gen4 G23. My buddy has a Gen2 G23 and my cousing has a Gen3 G23. The Gen4 G23 takes out some of the snap from the previous Gen's. The new grip shape ( I don't run a backstrap) and texture take the Glock up a notch. The entire pistol feels tighter, more precision somehow. IMHO, the Gen4 G23 is a better pistol than what the previous Gen's offered.

As to comparing it to the M&P, the Glock definitely has a better texture to it. After that, it's all personal preference. The Glock's trigger out of the box is arguably better, but w/ Apex sear and polished internals, the M&P's trigger is now nicer. Also, I should mention that my Gen4 came w/ the newer style trigger bar. It has a reshaped area where the trigger spring hole is, and it has the dimple on the tab that engages the firing pin plunger. I've since replaced this trigger bar w/ part # SP00357 from Glock Meister. It does have the reshaped trigger spring hole area, but doesn't have the dimple in the firing pin plunger engagement tab. It also has the smooth trigger surface, ala G17. This, along w/ the $.25 Glock trigger job, now has my Glock trigger feeling like the Gen3 G19 that I bought in 2009.

DHart
02-19-11, 16:04
IMHO, the Gen4 G23 is a better pistol than what the previous Gen's offered.

I should mention that my Gen4 came w/ the newer style trigger bar. It has a reshaped area where the trigger spring hole is, and it has the dimple on the tab that engages the firing pin plunger. I've since replaced this trigger bar w/ part # SP00357 from Glock Meister. It does have the reshaped trigger spring hole area, but doesn't have the dimple in the firing pin plunger engagement tab. It also has the smooth trigger surface, ala G17. This, along w/ the $.25 Glock trigger job, now has my Glock trigger feeling like the Gen3 G19 that I bought in 2009.

I did essentially the same thing with my new G23 Gen4; 25 cent fluff n buff, G17 smooth trigger, and a 3.5# connector. Brought the heavy trigger pull down to around 4.7# and very nice. Just a couple hundred rounds through it so far, but flawless running.

QUESTIONS ON CONVERTING G23 GEN4 to 9mm
Do the same conversion barrels used on Gen 3s also work on Gen 4s?

What recoil spring set up would be used for lighter 9mm loads with the conversion barrel and the Gen 4 slide? My slide has the recessed/counterbored slide.

SERT103
02-20-11, 00:19
I did essentially the same thing with my new G23 Gen4; 25 cent fluff n buff, G17 smooth trigger, and a 3.5# connector. Brought the heavy trigger pull down to around 4.7# and very nice. Just a couple hundred rounds through it so far, but flawless running.

QUESTIONS ON CONVERTING G23 GEN4 to 9mm
Do the same conversion barrels used on Gen 3s also work on Gen 4s?

What recoil spring set up would be used for lighter 9mm loads with the conversion barrel and the Gen 4 slide? My slide has the recessed/counterbored slide.

The gen 3 barrels aren't compatible in gen 4 guns due to the different recoil spring assemblies.

DHart
02-20-11, 00:35
The gen 3 barrels aren't compatible in gen 4 guns due to the different recoil spring assemblies.

SERT103... thanks for that. I presume then that if Glock barrels for Gen 3 guns can't be used in Gen 4 guns, then conversion barrels for Gen 3 guns can't either... unless a different recoil spring assembly is used?

SERT103
02-20-11, 00:44
SERT103... thanks for that. I presume then that if Glock barrels for Gen 3 guns can't be used in Gen 4 guns, then conversion barrels for Gen 3 guns can't either... unless a different recoil spring assembly is used?

Yeah, I'm assuming lonewolf or the like will have to come out with gen 4 conversion barrels designed for the larger RSA.

DHart
02-20-11, 01:29
CORRECTION - I just found that Lone Wolf conversion barrels are advertised to work with Gen 3 AND Gen 4 guns. Excellent.

donutboi
02-20-11, 08:46
Yes. They are a good platform. I switched all my GEN3 to GEN4.

SERT103
02-20-11, 09:30
Platform for what?

I think the question he is asking, is the Glock gen 4 a good platform for the .40 s&w cartridge.

Littlelebowski
02-20-11, 10:32
Yes. They are a good platform. I switched all my GEN3 to GEN4

This thread is about 40 caliber Gen4 Gocks, not 9mms.