PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new scope for hunting rifle

Blinking Dog
02-02-11, 19:38
I plan to replace the old 3-9 duplex reticle el cheapo scope on my hunting rifle, a Remington 700 chambered in .30/06, and am between 2 optic types.

My initial thought was to buy a Leupold, which in my old school redneck upbringing was the be-all-end-all riflescope. As a redneck done good, I was going to spring for a Vari-X III. :D

However, since I've been shooting an AR a lot and have a Micro RDS and like that uncluttered view, I have also considered an AccuPoint with a post and red triangle.

I looked through both scopes at a gun store, and the AccuPoint sure screams "simple" to me (which I liked). But, the old school duplex reticle seems like the safer option. Not to mention, I could probably buy two Leupolds for the price of one AccuPoint.

Most of my hunting is for deer in Texas, at ranges of around 100 yards or less. I'd like to have the confidence to put a well placed shot out to 200 yards, though, if need be. (Frankly, I ought to be able to put accurate rounds down range at 300 yards+, but the 30/06 drops considerably past 300 yards so I'm going to stick with 300 and in.)

So a couple of questions:
1) Which scope should it be, the Leupold or AccuPoint?
2) And for either scope, stick with the most prevalent 3x9 concept, or dial down to something in the 1x4 variety?

I would like to hear from any hunters who've shot game with an AccuPoint with the post, especially something like deer or antelope or elk, something fairly big, out 100 yards or so. Feel like you can aim well with the triangle?

Options would be AccuPoint in:
TR24 1-4 x 24 post
TR21 1.25-4 x 24 post (What's the difference between TR24 and TR21???)
TR20 3-9 x 40 post (Good all-around scope???)
TR22 2.5-10 x 56 post (This is probably too much scope for my needs)

Options in Leupold would be:
1.5-5 x 20 (Option for illuminated reticle...but too small a diameter???)
1.75-6 x 32 (Seems like a good option???)
2.5-8 x 36 (Another good option???)
3.5-10 x 40 or x 50 (Option for illuminated reticle)

Thanks in advance.

PS I thought I saw a similar post one time, but my search fu did not return anything on point. So sorry if this has been discussed previously...I couldn't find it.

Artos
02-02-11, 20:52
I plan to replace the old 3-9 duplex reticle el cheapo scope on my hunting rifle, a Remington 700 chambered in .30/06, and am between 2 optic types.

My initial thought was to buy a Leupold, which in my old school redneck upbringing was the be-all-end-all riflescope. As a redneck done good, I was going to spring for a Vari-X III. :D

2.5-8 x 36 (Another good option???)
3.5-10 x 40 (Option for illuminated reticle)

stick with the leupy for deer hunting...no reason for the 50 objective. Either of these will work for what you need. I think the 4.5-14x40 is another good option.

I would not spring for an illuminated reticle unless you are going to use it for pig hunting under a full moon.

ccoker
02-02-11, 22:13
The Accupoint has better glass..
I grew up with Leupolds but the Trijicon is a better scope.
I run a 3-9x40 with the mildot / green dot
much prefer it to the triangle reticle personally

I have one of the new Leupold Firedots coming in to test, should be here tomorrow. Fiber optic center dot with electronic illumination.

Anxious to test one and it's nice to have Leupold introduce something new and innovative at a reasonable street price.

Blinking Dog
02-03-11, 09:01
I have one of the new Leupold Firedots coming in to test, should be here tomorrow. Fiber optic center dot with electronic illumination.

Thanks. I did a search over on 68forums and saw some of your comments on the same subject in my post. And of course, now I'm very curious about the Firedot. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on it once you get it in hand.

I had a look through the AccuPoint with mildot/green and liked it ok, but I was not sure that config was significantly better than a VXIII duplex reticle for my needs (and for the price difference). What I mean is, I don't have a need to shoot my .30/06 at night, so I'm not sure of the utility of the small illluminated dot for me. I can see the point if using it at night, but I'm thinking that in the day I'm not really going to see that thing. Does that jive with your experience? The reason I like the post with triangle is how fast the triangle draws the eye, and there isn't the clutter of the crosshairs. That is a "radical" concept to me, but I think I like it. Just not sure how well you can holdover on a longer shot with a triangle...but if shooting 300 yards and in it shouldn't be a problem. Zeroing at 200 yards, bullet drop on my .30/06 (depending on bullet weight) is ~ 6 - 8 inches. Doesn't seem that hard to figure out with using the tip of triangle as reference...but maybe I'm being optimistic.

It seems like you like the Leupolds and AccuPoints both, so hopefully I'm dialed in on a few good options. I was hoping to spend around $500, but am willing to go up for the AccuPoint. A $1,000+ optic is out of the budget.