PDA

View Full Version : M&P9C needs a big brother...

poirierpro
02-02-11, 23:28
Ok so I ordered a M&P9C for my EDC (should be here soon) and I'm already thinking about a fullsize M&P9! This pistol will serve as my training gun, range/class gun/maybe competition.
Do I go with the M&P9FS, FS Pro, or FS Pro LS? Are the Pro Series worth the upgrade or are most of you APEX'n + NS your pistols?

willowofwisp
02-02-11, 23:33
I really don't think the Pro is worth it if your are gonna add the apex trigger and different sights, IMO the pro trigger is still pretty terrible and I didn't like the sights either, also I think the pro is around 600$? where you can find a standard m&p for roughly 470-490$

I would look at either 9L or standard 9..either one will work perfect, just depends on if you want/need a long slide. I have owned both and I shot both about the same.

poirierpro
02-02-11, 23:37
I really don't think the Pro is worth it if your are gonna add the apex trigger and different sights, IMO the pro trigger is still pretty terrible and I didn't like the sights either, also I think the pro is around 600$? where you can find a standard m&p for roughly 470-490$

I would look at either 9L or standard 9..either one will work perfect, just depends on if you want/need a long slide. I have owned both and I shot both about the same.

Thats what I'm really concerned with...is the 9LS really worth it? Does it improve accuracy that much? Recoil?

willowofwisp
02-02-11, 23:42
I don't think it really shows any improved accuracy..it does grant a bit more sight radius but still..if your a bad shot your a bad shot, and really I didn't feel much in the difference of recoil, the standard m&p with the right grip insert for your hand should be really really soft shooting.

I say go with a standard m&p, they even offer it with CT grips from the factory for like 619$ shipped through budsgunshop, or if your looking for the gun a lone go through Grant @ g&r tactical (help support the site) he has great prices and awesome to deal with.

rjacobs
02-03-11, 00:58
I have a C and an FS. I want a LS but from what I have heard from people the LS doesnt really do much for accuracy over the regular FS. I have been wanting to grap a LS to compliment my FS and C, but so far I havent found a compelling reason to do so. The 3/4" barrel length increase wont do much for velocity.

Now since all you have is a C, the LS may be the way to go. If you are going to go with APEX parts anyway I would completely skip the Pro model(unless you just HAVE to have the FO front sight).

I think in the future I will be grabbing a LS just to have one(might put an APEX comp kit in it and a Trijicon RMR on a milled slide).

Buckaroo
02-03-11, 08:54
I've had three (Compact, FS and Long Slide with a sweet trigger job) and would go with the FS.

Holsters are easier to buy and sell and, if IWB, are slightly more comfortable due to not having additional length for the longer slide.

LS did not shoot better for me other than re the trigger. Once I went with the APEX it was an even match between them.

Just sold my second Compact since I can conceal a FS just as well in most cases. If I need a smaller gun then I carry my PM9.

My experience and thoughts, YMMV

Buckaroo

ETA: As for the training portion I am a firm believer in training with your carry gun (or a clone). This was another reason I sold my Compacts.

G34Shooter
02-03-11, 09:56
I agree :D

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/667b35e9-1.jpg

If you're adding Apex's parts, I'd go with the 4.25 model.

Beat Trash
02-03-11, 11:07
I've been carrying an issued M&P9 fs for 5 years now. I sold off a Glock 34 to buy a M&P9 long slide when they came out.

I tried to really like the long slide gun. It is a good gun, but when shot side by side with an M&P fs, I really didn't notice the difference. I eventually sold off the long slide version.

I would recommend to the OP that he gets a regular M&P fs. Shoot it some, then decide what changes, if any you want to make.

Tzoid
02-03-11, 11:15
I bought a Pro and it was a mistake...although it was before Apex had their offerings available so I did the Burwell trigger job. I was ready to sell the gun prior to doing the Burwell trigger job. Now it's acceptable.

I purchased a 9C since then and I'm going to get the Apex parts as soon as I figure out what to get.

The M&P is a great gun but for S&W to call a variation "Pro" and have such a shitty trigger is a joke.

mkmckinley
02-05-11, 01:11
Get a straight up full size from G and R tactical with the Apex parts and Ameriglo Pro Glo sights already installed. You won't be sorry.

RogerinTPA
02-05-11, 10:15
Ok so I ordered a M&P9C for my EDC (should be here soon) and I'm already thinking about a fullsize M&P9! This pistol will serve as my training gun, range/class gun/maybe competition.
Do I go with the M&P9FS, FS Pro, or FS Pro LS? Are the Pro Series worth the upgrade or are most of you APEX'n + NS your pistols?

I did the exact same thing years ago. Stick with the full size 9.