PDA

View Full Version : Federal 'Guard Dog' Ammo???

Glock17JHP
02-03-11, 13:29
I just heard about a new ammo from Federal... it is offered in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. The bullets look like a familiar design, and are in lighter-than-normal weights. Anyone know about these?

P.S. - No... I am not considering switching to them!!!

Jake'sDad
02-03-11, 13:38
I just heard about a new ammo from Federal... it is offered in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. The bullets look like a familiar design, and are in lighter-than-normal weights. Anyone know about these?

P.S. - No... I am not considering switching to them!!!

Looks like it's an update of their Expanding Full metal Jacket ammo which was designed for places where hollow point ammunition is restricted. It's on their commercial site but not on their LE site.

They're pushing it for low penetration against barriers, so I'm guessing it's the civilian market it's targeted at, where gun magazine commandos still hawk that drivel.

Jake'sDad
02-03-11, 13:41
http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/federal-premium-guard-dog-home-defense/

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=936

Irish10
02-03-11, 14:08
It's EFMJ in the standard variety no +P loads. I believe the only thing changed besides the screwed up name is the color of the plug in the ammo tip. I have quite a bit of the +P tactical EFMJ in 9mm and it's a great load and seems to have done well in testing. Other calibers didn't fare as well. Have no idea how the non +P version would do and don't plan on spending the $$ to find out. 20 round boxes, give me a break !!

Jake'sDad
02-03-11, 14:28
20 round boxes, give me a break !!

It's aimed at the civilian, non-gun/bullet savvy market, where 15 round boxes would sell if made available.

I remember when I worked in a gun shop and guys would ask if they could buy 6 rounds of hollow points.

Jake'sDad
02-03-11, 14:29
It's EFMJ in the standard variety no +P loads. I believe the only thing changed besides the screwed up name is the color of the plug in the ammo tip.

Do you have any information to believe that?

ARBLDR
02-03-11, 17:27
The first stuff FED came out was great I thought both my Beretta and my G17 ate it up.

Jake'sDad
02-03-11, 17:42
The original EFMJ did penetrate fairly well, which leads me to believe this may be a different design, since they're touting it's lack of barrier penetration.

tpd223
02-03-11, 23:06
No, even in the Federal LE info on their site they push the lack of barrier penetration as an advantage, specifically the 124gr +P loading launched from an MP5, for dope raids and such.

I imagine the non +P 105gr 9mm loading would have even less penetration in barriers, it certainly does in bare gelatin.

Jake'sDad
02-03-11, 23:45
The stuff that we shot a few years ago actually looked pretty good. Not as good as the best available HP loads, but for a "fmj", it wasn't bad.

I'd still guess they changed the projectile in this load to penetrate even less.

Irish10
02-04-11, 14:54
Do you have any information to believe that?

Dave Spaulding posted it on another site and I have no reason to doubt him.

Suwannee Tim
02-04-11, 16:43
I have reservations about betting the life of a family member on the supposed lack of penetration of this ammo.

Jake'sDad
02-04-11, 17:44
I have reservations about betting the life of a family member on the supposed lack of penetration of this ammo.

It's a leftover from the erroneous crap that was so prevalent in the gun rags during the 90's, (largely by gunwriters with financial ties to lightweight bullet ammo companies), and still flogged by some of the writers today. Many police departments bought into the hype. It took a lot of work by the wound ballistic community to convince departments that the risk of an overpenetration, was less than that posed by underpenetrating ammunition that failed to stop someone.

Glock17JHP
02-04-11, 20:02
Suwannee Tim and Jake'sDad,

I agree with you both 100%!!!

Jake'sDad
02-05-11, 15:08
Dave Spaulding posted it on another site and I have no reason to doubt him.

I talked to an ATK LE rep, and Spaulding's partially right. It's mostly the same makeup, with some minor changes, beyond the color.

Strangely enough, the redesign was actually done for a government customer.

tpd223
02-09-11, 22:57
Looking at this on the federal site it appears to be their plain old 105gr 9mm EFMJ load with blue polymer inside and a nickle plated bullet.

I was not impressed by the original load, less so with this version.

Jake'sDad
02-10-11, 09:35
Looking at this on the federal site it appears to be their plain old 105gr 9mm EFMJ load with blue polymer inside and a nickle plated bullet.

I was not impressed by the original load, less so with this version.

Pretty much, with a couple of other changes in it according to the ATK rep. They had a contract to produce it for a government customer and I'm guessing they decided to throw it at the commercial market and see if it sells.