PDA

View Full Version : M4's For the girlfriends/wives....Sound off!

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 14:46
Okay so my girlfriend is quickly becoming a big fan and tagging along with me to the range, I purchased her a Rem. 597 .22 at Xmas. Now all of a sudden she likes to Hi-jack the M4. It was cute at first...now its kind of annoying. So what else to do but build her her own! Anyone's wife or girlfriend go with them? Do they have their own rifle? What is it and what do they like? My girlfriend is a lefty, I have been looking at the upper from Stag arms, Im thinking something light,16" M4 with the Magpul handguard, Spikes lower. Anyone have experience with Stag?

ST911
02-03-11, 14:50
Colt AR6520, and more recently the 6720, is a very popular carbine with the ladies (and youth, and IBOs, and adults). Compact, light, and easily manageable. A 6720 with a T1 is a great set up.

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 14:54
Colt AR6520, and more recently the 6720, is a very popular carbine with the ladies (and youth, and IBOs, and adults). Compact, light, and easily manageable. A 6720 with a T1 is a great set up.

Colt is amzing...Love them...BUT, bear in mind she is a southpaw shooter. I need left hand config.

tfltackdriver
02-03-11, 15:03
My advice nonspecific to firearms is that unless you're really doing this for YOU (like buying your SO underwear for HER birthday), let her figure it out, or do it together.
Putting this stuff together is at least half the fun.

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 15:17
My advice nonspecific to firearms is that unless you're really doing this for YOU (like buying your SO underwear for HER birthday), let her figure it out, or do it together.

Yes...I absolutely agree! Im really not that kind of guy that would build "her" a rifle that was really MY rifle that I just let her shoot on occasion. The parts Ive stated are what she has picked out. The left handed upper is a must. She complains how my rifle is heavy, she likes shooting the Colt. So ya its mos def a team effort. Im letting her pick. Thank you!

woodandsteel
02-03-11, 15:21

Yep. I made the mistake of buying my wife new furniture for her carbine. She is trading it off for stuff that she actually wants for "her" rifle.

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 15:28
Yep. I made the mistake of buying my wife new furniture for her carbine. She is trading it off for stuff that she actually wants for "her" rifle.

Lol nice, What did you buy and what is she replacing it with? Is it AR platform?

justin_247
02-03-11, 15:38
Colt 6720 or BCM/DD LW midlength with a Troy ambi-mag release.

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 15:42
Colt 6720 or BCM/DD LW midlength with a Troy ambi-mag release.

What is the weight of the DD handgurd?

tfltackdriver
02-03-11, 16:19
What is the weight of the DD handgurd?

This is like asking, "If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a noise?"
But that could be the post-SmartGunner/DD clusterf**** coming through. Have fun getting DD rails.

My sister shoots a lot. She is in the lighter-is-better crowd. I think she is going with a pencil/lightweight bbl upper with a vtac trx extreme.

docsherm
02-03-11, 16:25
I got my wife a 14.5 carbine that she liked so much that I had to built her an 18 inch SPR. Great, I can barley afford to feed my habit. now she has one :)

SouthPark
02-03-11, 17:08
My wife has had several; what girls like is not necessarily what boys like on an AR. Mine likes pink mags for fun and Lancers for go so she can see the ammo stack. She likes her S&W 15T a lot. Don't forget girls like to accessorize! She won't appreciate your going cheap with hers while you max out yours! Good luck! The good news is if she likes it, it's "hers," she'll want to shoot more with you. What's not to like?

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 17:22
My wife has had several; what girls like is not necessarily what boys like on an AR. Mine likes pink mags for fun and Lancers for go so she can see the ammo stack. She likes her S&W 15T a lot. Don't forget girls like to accessorize! She won't appreciate your going cheap with hers while you max out yours! Good luck! The good news is if she likes it, it's "hers," she'll want to shoot more with you. What's not to like?

Lol of COURSE! She knows EXACTLY what I have put into mine and how much everything was, she not gonna let mine be better lol. Ya shes all about the accesorizing, she seen a pink digital camo M4, it was all over...now I gotta make hers look just like it. I want her to have a really good rifle,I dont want malfunctions or shit breaking down on her. :no:

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 17:26
But that could be the post-SmartGunner/DD clusterf**** coming through. Have fun getting DD rails

....What??:laugh:

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 17:29
I got my wife a 14.5 carbine that she liked so much that I had to built her an 18 inch SPR. Great, I can barley afford to feed my habit. now she has one :)

The 14.5 is what I really want to go with, I would prefer to buy a complete upper half, since she is left handed(and stag doesnt make a lefty 14.5) I would have to do an upper and a barrel separatley.

seb5
02-03-11, 18:08
My wife goes with me all the time. I built her a M4 using mostly DD parts to include upper, lower, BCG, 16" middie pencil barrel, G&R LPK, Troy 13" rail, battlecomp, SSA, CTR, TG battle grip, and TA44 on Larue mount. She's getting pretty good.

JimT
02-03-11, 18:20
I'm handing over one of my hardly used carbines to my wife so she can decide how she wants to run it. We've stepped away from the scatterguns for the HD role.

Duffy
02-03-11, 18:34
Don't forget a good ambidextrous selector that both of you can use ;)

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 18:37
My wife goes with me all the time. I built her a M4 using mostly DD parts to include upper, lower, BCG, 16" middie pencil barrel, G&R LPK, Troy 13" rail, battlecomp, SSA, CTR, TG battle grip, and TA44 on Larue mount. She's getting pretty good.

That sounds very cool. How does she like it?

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 18:38
Don't forget a good ambidextrous selector that both of you can use ;)

Hahahaha, knowing her, I wouldnt be able to shoot it lol. "NO! You have your own!":no:

nobody knows
02-03-11, 19:16
My wife is a gun nut now! She actually just came home two days ago with a new spikes lower. And told me that my S&W m&p 15 is hers now, and that she would help pay for my new build lol

OT: if your having a hard time finding a quality lefty upper, you might want to think about a side charger. I don't have any personal experience with them. But have herd of lefties that really like them. If you trying to go light you should just go with some MP MOE stuff (if she likes it). PRI,TROY,VTAC all make nice lightweight hand guards.

slomo
02-03-11, 19:24
We lefties are used to living in a right handed world. Just get her a nice carbine with a Troy mag release and a BadAss selector and she'll be a happy girl. If she gets tired of it (or you) you'll have a nice back up.

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 19:43
My wife is a gun nut now! She actually just came home two days ago with a new spikes lower. And told me that my S&W m&p 15 is hers now, and that she would help pay for my new build lol

OT: if your having a hard time finding a quality lefty upper, you might want to think about a side charger. I don't have any personal experience with them. But have herd of lefties that really like them. If you trying to go light you should just go with some MP MOE stuff (if she likes it). PRI,TROY,VTAC all make nice lightweight hand guards.

Sounds like you created a monster just like I did...I took her to the range last year, She was physically shaking and had anxiety, By the third time to the range I talked her into shooting a pistol, a few months after thatshe could hold them by herself. Now she tells me "shut up im tryin to concentrate!' LOL Im thinkin she will like the MOE also. Oh ya I just remembered the side charger about an hour ago! Thats a really good idea thank you!

Surf
02-03-11, 19:56
Built one for my wife. Built one for my 6 yr old son when he was 5. Built one for my 68 yr old mother. My daughter is 4 but I will build her one in a couple, three years or so. Built my father a bolt .308 however.

I also gave all of them their own Glock. Except my son and daughter. they don't get one yet. My son is still working his skills with a Sig P226 and G17 airsoft pistols. :)

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 20:05
Built one for my wife. Built one for my 6 yr old son when he was 5. Built one for my 68 yr old mother. My daughter is 4 but I will build her one in a couple, three years or so. Built my father a bolt .308 however.

I also gave all of them their own Glock. Except my son and daughter. they don't get one yet. My son is still working his skills with a Sig P226 and G17 airsoft pistols. :)

DAMN! You wouldnt want to adopt a 31 year old would you? I know how to fix all kinds of stuff, I can wipe my own ass and even get my own cereal!. I want a rifle an a glock :D

kittyhawk
02-03-11, 20:15
My wife loves my Liteweight BMC midlengith she likes the magpul handguards better than most rails. I Put a MOE stock on and a Magpul sling. She likes the Eotec better than my Aimpoints.
So its now hers. she is dead on at 100 meters and is getting better at mag changes and clearing drills.
I think now I will do a barrel swap on my M&P15T to a 16" BHG midlengith.

Dave

ST911
02-03-11, 20:19
Colt is amzing...Love them...BUT, bear in mind she is a southpaw shooter. I need left hand config.

Understood. My recommendation considered the existance of the Stag. Sounds like you already made up your mind.

v-j
02-03-11, 20:40
But that could be the post-SmartGunner/DD clusterf**** coming through. Have fun getting DD rails.

My sister shoots a lot. She is in the lighter-is-better crowd. I think she is going with a pencil/lightweight bbl upper with a vtac trx extreme.

Who ever did get the Smartgunner/DD deal......You made out like a bandit. Never mind the wait, good product for a good price. Kudos, remember good things come to those that wait.

seb5
02-03-11, 20:57
That sounds very cool. How does she like it?

I built 2 identical rifles, 1 a 16" and 1 a 14.7". She prefers the 16" I haven't measured the diameter but I tend to think the DD is a hair smaller diameter than the BCM LW as the 16" DD with 13" Troy is only 2 ozs. heavier than the 14.7 BCM with 11" Troy rail with everything else the same. She's coming along. We're past basic drills and have been working on transitions and reloading. Next up is for her to gain proficiency with malfunctions and working with a light.

Surf
02-03-11, 21:35
DAMN! You wouldnt want to adopt a 31 year old would you? I know how to fix all kinds of stuff, I can wipe my own ass and even get my own cereal!. I want a rifle an a glock :DUnless if your a hot chick around the 25-35 age range, sorry. ;)

This is my son on his 5th birthday. Noveske based rifle with standard small AR handguards and of course he needs to learn with irons first. ;)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Family/IMG_27511.jpg

Edit, btw he is high speed and no drag, so he gets the eye blackout treatment. :D

CaptainDooley
02-03-11, 22:32
I traded my AK straight up to get my wife her own 6920... Despite only shooting the AK once she had some how formed a sentimental attachment to the AK that I didn't know about (our first kid was born 9 months after the vacation she shot the AK on)...

Took her a full 12 months before she'd even shoot it. Now she's hooked.

bkb0000
02-03-11, 22:41
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/90/l_4f264a9e26ca4971bce07b8e15202677.jpg

dismantled and cannibalized, since she only shot it like three times in as many years, but she liked it a lot.

built more for target shooting than gunfighting, but i thought it might be at least somewhat inspiring.

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 23:22
Unless if your a hot chick around the 25-35 age range, sorry. ;)

This is my son on his 5th birthday. Noveske based rifle with standard small AR handguards and of course he needs to learn with irons first. ;)
Edit, btw he is high speed and no drag, so he gets the eye blackout treatment. :D

Lol DAMMIT! No Im not a girl...well if you change your mind you know where to find me hahaha. Very cool pic by the way. He's gonna be a good shooter!

BCmJUnKie
02-03-11, 23:25
dismantled and cannibalized, since she only shot it like three times in as many years, but she liked it a lot.

built more for target shooting than gunfighting, but i thought it might be at least somewhat inspiring.[/QUOTE]

It is and thank you for your reply! Bummer she dont get to shoot often. All of the posts from you guys makes me that more psyched to build this for her. You guys are all awesome.

500grains
02-03-11, 23:51
Colt 6520

or Daniel Defense pencil barrel with magpul furniture

Iraqgunz
02-03-11, 23:59
Make her shoot right handed.

Okay so my girlfriend is quickly becoming a big fan and tagging along with me to the range, I purchased her a Rem. 597 .22 at Xmas. Now all of a sudden she likes to Hi-jack the M4. It was cute at first...now its kind of annoying. So what else to do but build her her own! Anyone's wife or girlfriend go with them? Do they have their own rifle? What is it and what do they like? My girlfriend is a lefty, I have been looking at the upper from Stag arms, Im thinking something light,16" M4 with the Magpul handguard, Spikes lower. Anyone have experience with Stag?

lethal dose
02-04-11, 00:16

Well, at least a rh weapon. I feel the rh ARs are great for lefties. The only lh control I'd consider is an ambi bolt release. No lh AR is worth any consideration, IMHO. Parts are scarce. I train lefty on a righty weapon all the time... no problems as far as weapon controls/manipulation goes.

Iraqgunz
02-04-11, 00:21
Indeed or that.

Well, at least a rh weapon. I feel the rh ARs are great for lefties. The only lh control I'd consider is an ambi bolt release. No lh AR is worth any consideration, IMHO. Parts are scarce. I train lefty on a righty weapon all the time... no problems as far as weapon controls/manipulation goes.

blackgt85
02-04-11, 01:03
bkb0000, what paint did you use to paint that AR? That thing is slick! I might have to paint one someday for my girl......

Justin

tfltackdriver
02-04-11, 10:46

Indeed. My wife is left-handed, but is right-eye dominant. Maybe I'm oldschool, but eye dominance is much more imporant than hand dominance, especially if you get into shooting optics with both eyes open.

Carcajou
02-04-11, 10:57
Don't forget to make it pretty for her. This is what I did for my wife.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb125/CARCAJ0U/photo.jpg

BCmJUnKie
02-04-11, 11:23
Indeed. My wife is left-handed, but is right-eye dominant. Maybe I'm oldschool, but eye dominance is much more imporant than hand dominance, especially if you get into shooting optics with both eyes open.

You and IRAQGUNS are right! I have been making her shoot right handed, She IS left eye dominant. But she has a really hard time looking down the sights

BCmJUnKie
02-04-11, 11:27
Don't forget to make it pretty for her. This is what I did for my wife]

Very nice! I bet she loves that! How does she like the aimpoint? My girlfriend uses my Eotech, I dont think she likes it. Were gonna go look at some and see what she likes best.

Carcajou
02-04-11, 11:37
Very nice! I bet she loves that! How does she like the aimpoint? My girlfriend uses my Eotech, I dont think she likes it. Were gonna go look at some and see what she likes best.

To be honest she doesn't know the difference between an Aimpoint and an Eotech. I just wanted to keep the rifle light (it is a LW barrel) and simple. Put the dot where you want the bullet to go honey...

500grains
02-04-11, 11:38
She IS left eye dominant. But she has a really hard time looking down the sights

Get her a black eye patch. If she uses one at the shooting range for a year, it will change her over to right eye dominant. Plus she gets the added benefit of looking like Moshe Dayan.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiMovho_bBCDnesa29kq1Dw3wt37387mjXAMhYYih77QSo9mbwkA

BCmJUnKie
02-04-11, 11:47
Get her a black eye patch. If she uses one at the shooting range for a year, it will change her over to right eye dominant. Plus she gets the added benefit of looking like Moshe Dayan.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiMovho_bBCDnesa29kq1Dw3wt37387mjXAMhYYih77QSo9mbwkA

Lol nice! One step ahead of you, I blacked out one lens on an old pair of her Oakley's. That actually helped ALOT! Her and our 8 year old have trouble closing one eye without the other one closing. Its wierd...really wierd

Surf
02-04-11, 12:20
If she is left eye dominant, I would have her shooting left handed instead of covering one eye. The controls on the AR can be manipulated easily enough with practice. I also find that the BAD levers on mine solve just about everything for a lefty.

eternal24k
02-04-11, 13:53
lightweight 14.5" middy with battlecomp and A5, this is what my girlfriend runs (other than the SBR she uses when with me )

tfltackdriver
02-04-11, 14:39
Lol nice! One step ahead of you, I blacked out one lens on an old pair of her Oakley's. That actually helped ALOT! Her and our 8 year old have trouble closing one eye without the other one closing. Its wierd...really wierd

I was going to suggest that there are tons of good-looking, good-natured right-handed, right-eyed women running around, but the "our 8-year-old" thing makes it tricky. :p

BCmJUnKie
02-04-11, 18:39
I was going to suggest that there are tons of good-looking, good-natured right-handed, right-eyed women running around, but the "our 8-year-old" thing makes it tricky. :p

Lol TRUE DAT! Well I stepped up an I take care of her son. I dont have any kids...so if she not gonna catch on...I might have to take your advice hahaha:lol: