PDA

View Full Version : light weight barrel questions

mark.dias27
02-03-11, 16:52
so i was watching an old episode of guns & ammo TV and it had a section in there program about AR's for personal defense. it was showcasing two different Ar profiles one with a light weight barrel on it and i got me thinking about the BCM light weight 16" barrels. i am going to be being an upper soon and wanted some more info about light weight compaired to i guess regular barrels.

what are the problems? any reliablility issues? any upsides (other then weight odviously)?

any info on this would be helpful in my search for a good reliable product.

thanks a bunch

Quentin
02-03-11, 17:59
Take a look at this current thread:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72761

blasternank
02-03-11, 21:52
I got one so I'd have a light weight build and I put it on a cavalry arms lower. It is a model one sales and I know some don't like them but it's worked fine for me. What most will say is if you are shooting it a lot the thinner barrel will heat up quicker and might lose accuracy sooner or wear out quicker. For the average guy just using it to plink every now and again and someone who likes that their kids/wife can shoot a light weight rifle or if you are going to be hiking around and want a light weight carbine to bring with you they are fantastic and a good tool.

dravz
02-03-11, 22:26
I got one so I'd have a light weight build and I put it on a cavalry arms lower. It is a model one sales and I know some don't like them but it's worked fine for me. What most will say is if you are shooting it a lot the thinner barrel will heat up quicker and might lose accuracy sooner or wear out quicker. For the average guy just using it to plink every now and again and someone who likes that their kids/wife can shoot a light weight rifle or if you are going to be hiking around and want a light weight carbine to bring with you they are fantastic and a good tool.

How many rounds through your M1S upper so far? My bolt cracked almost in half before I got to 1,000 rounds. This is not The Chart or anyone else talking, this is me using the same exact upper and BCG telling you. :(

wilco423
02-03-11, 22:51
I have a DD LW hammer-forged 10.3". It's surprising how much of a difference the LW makes even on the short barrel. It points very fast - much better target transitions. If you plan on carrying it a lot or if you'll use it for work, I'd highly recommend one, either DD or BCM. As has been stated elsewhere, unless you're doing lots of mag dumps, you won't have any problems with the LW's longevity.

Downsides: barrel gets hot faster (also cools faster); have to use .625" gas blocks, which are not as common; and there is, to me at least, significantly more felt recoil as a byproduct of the lighter weight. Not that that's surprising - it's basic physics - but I was a little surprised how much more it recoiled. I had a bunch of broken blood vessels on my shoulder where I mount the stock after less than 100 rds. Never had that on a standard M4.

Also, as is shown out in the other thread above, they aren't as inherently accurate. However, for my purposes (entry and suburban LE use), mine is plenty accurate.

mark.dias27
02-03-11, 23:56
thanks a lot to all who has commented so far. i appreciate the input.

my girlfriend goes to the charge with me all the time is is itching to shoot an m4 when im finished with the build, the thing is she has shoulder problems so prolonged use with a LW barrel might be bad due to the recoil.

i want something that will last. it will end up not just being a toy to play with.

yet again the knowledge and first hand experience is nothing but amazing on this forum. thanks to all.

blasternank
02-04-11, 08:06
How many rounds through your M1S upper so far? My bolt cracked almost in half before I got to 1,000 rounds. This is not The Chart or anyone else talking, this is me using the same exact upper and BCG telling you. :(

I don't use it a lot but I probably have 600 or so rounds down it but I do not have one of their bolts or bcg's. I have another companies, I can't remember which one in that rifle but it's a good brand.